Author Topic: A bunch of questions  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Alsadius (OP)

• Lieutenant
A bunch of questions
« on: April 23, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
I've been digging into the game from the various tutorials/forum threads/wiki links, and I think I have a fairly good handle on a lot of the game.  I'm about a year and a half in, just discovered my first two wormholes, and I'm about to settle Mars.  But, as I'm sure most newbies do, I have some random questions.   

1) What sort of path do I need to be on to be having a "good" first game? Are there any milestones I should aim to hit? I can tell from here that I'll want to have off-planet mining up and running before Earth runs short on some minerals, but I have no idea what else I should be striving for.  In particular, I'm thinking of economic/technological growth rates. 

2) When should I expect first contact, on average? How soon do I need to start working on a military?

3) What's the best future-proof military option - fighters and missiles? If so, what sort of sizes should I be reserving in my launchers? I read something about missiles being best when their damage is a square number, so I wanted to manage that, but am I overthinking it?

4) Is there a decent tutorial for fleet command? I haven't needed to do much with it yet, but I'm sure it'll be a pain when I do, unless I can get a better handle on it than I have now. 

5) Is the wiki up-to-date enough that I should trust it? If no, is there a better resource for data on things like technology?

6) Should I spend less time fretting and just enjoy the game instead?  ;)

Thanks. 

Offline hubgbf

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • h
Re: A bunch of questions
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:19:27 AM »
Hi,

1) There is no path, and for most of us, a good game is a fun one, even if we are destroyed at first contact.
2) It depends on your parameters. If you play on a 10 system galaxy with 9 starting NPR, you can expect first contact in the first few days... For a first game I will advise to have no starting NPR, and disable all 3 spoilers. This way you can only have an encounter while exploring. Once you have mastered the basic economic system, add some spoilers or high up the percent chance to discover a new NPR (keep the invaders for last).
3) The current optimal setting is a huge alpha strike with missiles. Fighters are a good way, but you also can have ships with box launchers, or independent module with box launchers tractored by your ships, and so on... Try to start with standard missile armed ships before learning how to operate squadron.
4) Read the aurora fiction part of the forum, steve's fiction show you what can be done. Then you can search how to do it. There is tutorials on youtube too. Look in the tutorials part of the forum.
5) It is good enough. Roleplay any difference as ennemy counterintelligence and have fun.
6) Yes.

The following users thanked this post: Alsadius

Offline Alsadius (OP)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:00:24 AM »
Fair enough.  Sandbox game, so I shouldn't be surprised that there's no real "right path".  Re #2, I used the default settings for the universe. 

Also, a couple more:

7) I have fighters in orbit around Earth, and I keep getting notifications like "A 6. 25 EP Fighter Engine on Hurricane 007 has suffered a maintenance failure.  Insufficient maintenance supplies were available to effect a repair".  It costs 5 maintenance supplies, and I have 27,000 on Earth.  The Hurricane is 352 tons, and Earth can do maintenance on ships of up to 13,000 tons.  Why is it saying that it can't be repaired?

8) My grav detector ships are showing up as military, and I can't figure out why:
Bloodhound class Survey Ship    1 850 tons     30 Crew     166. 2 BP      TCS 37  TH 50  EM 0
1351 km/s     Armour 1-13     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/1/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Life 3. 95 Years     MSP 56    AFR 27%    IFR 0. 4%    1YR 6    5YR 86    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 10 months    Spare Berths 0   

50 EP Commercial Nuclear Thermal Engine (1)    Power 50    Fuel Use 6. 07%    Signature 50    Exp 4%
Fuel Capacity 50 000 Litres    Range 80. 1 billion km   (686 days at full power)

Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
It has a commercial engine, a grav sensor, armor, engineering space, fuel, crew quarters, and a bridge.  The geological scanner equivalent ship is commercial.  Are grav sensors just inherently military?

Thanks. 

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 04:32:29 AM »
Fighters need to be inside a hangar to be properly maintained, not just in orbit of a planet. Doesn't matter if it's several small boat bays or big hangar decks. Mind, fighters inside a hangar will also require that their mothership has enough spare berths for the fighters' crews.

Grav detector are an "always military" component yes, so you can have geological survey ship that will run on civilian maintenance, but not gravitational. As an aside, this ship has an intended deployment of ten months, but supplies for near 48 months, and fuel for 23 months, you should up the deployment time a fair bit, up to 30 months or so.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:34:30 AM »
7) I have fighters in orbit around Earth, and I keep getting notifications like "A 6. 25 EP Fighter Engine on Hurricane 007 has suffered a maintenance failure.  Insufficient maintenance supplies were available to effect a repair".  It costs 5 maintenance supplies, and I have 27,000 on Earth.  The Hurricane is 352 tons, and Earth can do maintenance on ships of up to 13,000 tons.  Why is it saying that it can't be repaired?

Because there are none on board the fighter.  Maintenance facilities prevent ships at (not  'in orbit' of) the colony from running up their 'clocks' -- i.e. Maint Life -- and thus increasing the rate at which system break down and need to be repaired by on-board maintenance supplies.

8) My grav detector ships are showing up as military, and I can't figure out why:

<SNIP>

Are grav sensors just inherently military?

Yes.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 12:14:56 PM »
1) What sort of path do I need to be on to be having a "good" first game? Are there any milestones I should aim to hit? I can tell from here that I'll want to have off-planet mining up and running before Earth runs short on some minerals, but I have no idea what else I should be striving for.  In particular, I'm thinking of economic/technological growth rates.
There is no goal except what you make up for yourself and there is no score. However, there are few basic things that are the same in every game:

First, mineral production - you need to be able to mine all 11 minerals in such amounts that your stockpile grows instead of shrinks, within reason of course, so it has to grow as your empire grows. First step here is to set up mining colonies on planets/moons/comets/asteroids so that you have sufficient amounts of all minerals coming in outside of Earth. Whether you do this via mining ships, auto-mines or manned mines, and whether you transport them via freighters or mass drivers - or some combination of all - is immaterial, though it's a good idea to experiment with all of them.

Second, fuel production - as your navy grows, you'll consume more and more fuel and Earth will run out of Sorium at some point. Again, I would recommend to set up both manned refineries somewhere where you can mine/ship Sorium easily, as well as fuel harvesters are suitable gas giants, plus tanker(s) to move that fuel back to colonies.

Third, wealth production - the third classic "crunch" hitting a growing empire is lack of wealth. So get your civilian shipping lines up & running, start colonies to increase your tax base and promote trade, and build financial centres to absorb excess population and make money. Especially with a conventional start, it's easy to lull yourself into thinking that your wealth stockpile will last forever - it will not.

Fourth, terraform stuff - run a couple of successful terraforming projects to get the hang of the atmosphere calculations and what sort of industrial effort it requires. Luna and Mars are the obvious choices in Sol - though I personally love the idea of semi-subsurface Luna City under massive domes that I hardly ever terraform Luna - and you will find plenty of solid choices outside of Sol as you explore. Colony cost 2 planets can be terraformed with only facilities since infra is cheap, but higher CC planets will require terraforming ships/bases. Again, experiment using both to learn.

Fifth, fight a battle - sooner or later you will run into spoilers if you have any turned on, or an NPR, if you allow the game to generate them or even started with 1 or more. You need to build a navy before you need it, so start fairly early - crappy ships are better than no ships - and keep making new designs when your tech advances and build 'em and form Task Groups and Task Forces. Once more, experiment with both missiles and beam weapons, as well as fighters and FACs, to learn how they all work and what you prefer.

Sixth, take over a colony - the last big thing on the check list is to wage a ground war. This might just be a small skirmish over a tiny spoiler base, or it could be a massive campaign occupying an NPR homeworld, but you need to build transport ships and train ground units and be able to send them over without getting them all killed in the process.

Once you've done all six, you've basically tried every major aspect of Aurora in some manner, and you're well on your way to becoming a rugged veteran of EXCEL IN SPACE!  :)

The following users thanked this post: Shawn_P

Offline bankshot

• Lieutenant
  • b
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 09:12:39 PM »
I'm also fairly new (still on my first game), so take my advice with a chunk of salt:

I set up three "queues" for industry on Earth.   One dedicated for making more construction factories, one for making automines, and one for making everything else.   Do this by  lowering the capacity percentages on tasks you add to your industry queue.   Adjust the percentages as you see fit, but you will probably want to keep the factory % fairly high to take advantage of compound interest.   And the mine/automine % should scale with the factory % or you will run out of minerals.   

I hauled 20x auto mines and a mass driver to all comets in the sol system that had a lot of minerals before the comets got too far out of the inner system for a long-term mineral stream but that ran me short of duranium short-term as I stripped most automines off of earth to do so.   Don't pull too many mines off of earth until/unless you find better availability elsewhere.   

After you plant at least one cargo hold of infrastructure on a colony Civilian shipping lines will transport colonists and some additional infrastructure  for you, so you should go ahead and establish at least 1 colony.   But be prepared - they often drop off too many colonists resulting in overcrowding, death, and unrest.   I've explored 17 systems, and the best habitability I found was colony cost 2 - so pre-habitable worlds appear to be rare, you may want to think about how you will terraform those colonies.