Author Topic: any idea for automating fight against 500 swarm FACs?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
any idea for automating fight against 500 swarm FACs?
« on: March 28, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
Hi,

I am currently facing about 500 swarm ships and it is getting tedious. My ships have the beam range, speed and initiative to keep slowly take them down, but this is quite boring.

Currently I have set my fleet to auto follow 1 fac and use auto targeting and 90 forced turns, but I am afraid that sooneror later the fac they are following will be taken out, thus dooming my ships.

Is there any other/better way to do this without having to fight manually?

Thx.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: any idea for automating fight against 500 swarm FACs?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
Auto-follow the one on the bottom of the list. ;)

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
I think Erik basically has the only advice possible

Offline CharonJr (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • C
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
Thx, so there is no better way, but at least I can be sure that my ships will survive ;)

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
If you're sure they're chasing you can fly towards an arbitrary point away from them, while manipulating your speed and initative until they are stuck at your chosen range.

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
Last time I was in this situation, I just said "frakk it" and SMed my fleet into hugeass dreadnaughts. Changed them back after I was done.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:35:52 AM »
If you are clearly going to win and the only thing between you and finishing them off is a lot of button clicking then SM mode manipulation is your ticket.  For the most part that is why it is there. 

It is your story to write:
#1 After many grueling days of cat and mouse pursuit the bleary-eyed and sleep-deprived crew of the battle group finally finished off the last of the ravenous horde of pursuers.  While the ships of the fleet clearly had the technological advantage the sheer overwhelming numbers of the horde meant that the crew had to be on high alert for days on end with no reprieve.  Pushed past the limits of normal human endurance it was a miracle that no grave mistakes were made and that the fleet escaped unharmed.
#2 Due to a ship computer cross-link failure two destroyers accidentally selected separate targets instead of concentrating fire and crossed their laser beams.  After a momentary blinding flash of light and the panic of the resulting EMP having reset all of the ships navigational and targeting computers not one enemy craft could be found.  After uploading the ships sensor logs to naval command and consulting with the top scientists available the only logical conclusion anyone could come up with was that the crossed laser beams opened a temporary wormhole.  No one knows where the horde went.  Wherever it is it is someone else's problem now.  God help them.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Sensor missiles. the sensor has to be big enough that it can track said swarm over atleast a 5 second increment, 100k range minimum, though I'd go with higher if possible. Anyway at that point, just fire off your entire volley at one target, and the missiles will home in on and destroy other targets after the first one is dead.