Author Topic: How long is the fire delay after a standard Jump Gate transition?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Redshirt (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
First time using fighters with box launchers. I've got enemy ships camping out on the other side of a jump gate. I send through some specially designed "decoy fighters", which, as predicted, draw enemy fire. 5 seconds later, I send in the rest of the fighter wing through the jump gate. Thirty seconds later, my missile destroyer group goes through using a squadron transit and heads away at max speed (my LR AS missiles have much greater range than theirs.) About a minute later, my destroyer group is launching waves of missiles, but the box launchers on every fighter read "Archer xxx is preparing to fire but her weapons are not yet ready." They've got the enemy ship targetted, but the destroyers have already fired multiple waves (at 30 second intervals) and the fighters are being picked to shreds.

At least they're providing enough of a distraction for my destroyers to get out of range while the NPR fleet uses up its missiles...
Living up to my username. . .

Offline Redshirt (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
Re: How long is the fire delay after a standard Jump Gate transition?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
Of course, the fighters started firing about ten seconds (game time) after I posted this.

Are there any strategies for transitioning through a defended jump point? Obviously, everything should probably be using squadron transit. Guess I'll have to research larger jump drives, though I hate to subject carriers to heavy fire.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:05:13 PM »
I think that a reasonably trained crew using a Squadron Transit can fire within 30/60 seconds of transit but anything using the Standard Transit could take 5 minutes.

Steve has posted the formula before but I am not sure that any amount of key word searching will find it.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:05:43 PM »
I think it is 30 seconds for a squad jump, 2 minutes for a standard transit, but that ordinance can be launched in an unguided fashion sooner, so you can spew out mines on their side of the jump gate. that was an older situation though it might be fixed.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Crew training reduces this time also.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »
The psuedo code is as follows:

Code: [Select]
    Bonus = 1 - (Int(Sqr(GradePoints) - 10) / 100)

If Squadron Transit then
        Delay = (10 + Random Number(20)) * Bonus
    Else
        Delay = (120 + Random Number(60)) * Bonus
    End
Which means that a squadron transit will cause blindness for 11-30 seconds and a regular or jump gate transit will cause blindness for 121-180 seconds. This affects both fire control and active sensors. The delay is reduced by the grade bonus of each ship.

Steve
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Redshirt (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »
That's good to know- jumping fighters through a gate is a suicide mission, basically, if the gate is defended. On the other hand, if I can make some jump capable decoy fighters to draw fire, then send everything else over, they'll have a chance.

Basically, this time around I lost everything but four fighter-bombers and my destroyer group (the carriers stayed on the other side of the jump point.) Once the bombers delivered their payload, they ran interference while the destroyers divided their shots and mopped up the wounded enemy ships. Once the point was clear, the carriers jumped in and picked up all the lifepods.

I'm expecting a counterattack by over 90 FAC sometime soon (and yes, I know this is an actual NPR because I've spotted their homeworld.) That massive squad of ships chased me out of the system last time. I don't know if they're armed with beams or missiles, but stolen tech data indicates their ASM's have less than half the range of mine, and the ships are only 50kps faster than my destroyers, so with a little luck, I might be able to hold the jump point.

Offline Redshirt (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
Nuts. Loaded the game, and accidentally hit "5 days" instead of the events log button. Now the FAC swarm's 10k away and probably in beam weapon range instead of barely in missile range. This is not going to go well, and I can't even RP an excuse- the commanders on every ship on a fleet aren't going to fall asleep at once...

Offline Theokrat

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »
This is not going to go well, and I can't even RP an excuse- the commanders on every ship on a fleet aren't going to fall asleep at once...

Uhm, dear students we will now discuss the Gliese 563-incident that happened in March 2063. Now I am sure most of you will have heard about it, and most of you have probably seen the holo-experience-movie that dramatized the events. As if there was not enough drama in that.

Well, as you know the issue basically trickled down to a computer glitch, when the advanced AI entirely ignored a squadron of approaching FACs. It is still mysterious to this day what caused this glitch and some believe it is a too drastic failure at a too crucial point to be attributable to an unfortunate accident. Indeed some believe the advanced AI had turned against its creator, and even if the starfleet denies this allegation they have revised their programming routines since and only implemented non-learning computer systems on their ships. Still others claim it was sabotage, either by a covert government agency, terrorists, backstabbing career-captains or a suicidal sensors officers on board the task group. The fact remains that the computer just did not show the approaching danger and left the fleet totally oblivious to the impending doom, until they were a mere 10k km away.