Author Topic: Task Force and Group Commanders  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
Task Force and Group Commanders
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »
This is my first game.  I am following the tutorial -- mostly.  I have figured out how to make a naval officer a ship commander, but I cannot figure out how to make an officer a task group or fleet commander.  Could someone explain?  

I apologize if this is a double post, but I think my previous attempt to ask went to a draft area instead of the moderator.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Task Force and Group Commanders
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
Quote from: "Balibar"
I have figured out how to make a naval officer a ship commander, but I cannot figure out how to make an officer a task group or fleet commander.  Could someone explain?

There's no game mechanics involved in TG commander (the collection of ships managed by the F12 screen) - the senior officer in the TG is the commander, but has no effect on combat stats.

There's currently nothing named "fleet" in Aurora.  That function is taken over by a "Task Force".  To create a TF, use the Task Force Organization screen (accessible through the triangular icon at the top of the F3 screen, or by ctrl-F4).  A TF has a commander (Rank 3 or above) and a staff (all below rank of commander).  To assign them to the TF, use the Leaders (F4) screen.

John

PS - Please post new user questions in The Academy

Offline Balibar (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • B
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
I figured out my problem.  In the Leaders screen, there is a drop-down called "Assignment Type Filter."  There is a selection called "Staff Officers", which if selected for an officer of appropriate rank will show the option for the Task Force assignment.  

Thanks.

Offline WCG

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • W
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
Hmm,... this didn't work for me. I just finished the tutorial, so I've got a 3-ship "Battle Task Group." My top naval officer is a Commodore (level 4). But the only option I had under "Staff Officers" was "Commander - Fleet Headquarters."

I tried selecting that, and yeah, it worked to assign her to Fleet Headquarters, apparently. But the Commander of that task group is still vacant. And I can't find any filter where that position shows up.

Well, I guess I'll just assign captains to the individual ships. I don't have anything for them to do, anyway - though I plan to have them start training as soon as I can remember how to give conditional orders (it doesn't seem to be on the Task Groups page, for some reason).  :)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »
Quote from: "WCG"
Hmm,... this didn't work for me. I just finished the tutorial, so I've got a 3-ship "Battle Task Group." My top naval officer is a Commodore (level 4). But the only option I had under "Staff Officers" was "Commander - Fleet Headquarters."

I tried selecting that, and yeah, it worked to assign her to Fleet Headquarters, apparently. But the Commander of that task group is still vacant. And I can't find any filter where that position shows up.

Well, I guess I'll just assign captains to the individual ships. I don't have anything for them to do, anyway - though I plan to have them start training as soon as I can remember how to give conditional orders (it doesn't seem to be on the Task Groups page, for some reason).  :)

It sounds like you're mixing up Task Groups (the things you control with the F12 screen) and Task Forces (the things you control with the ctrl-F4 screen).  A TG is a collection of ships; a TF can be considered a collection of TG.  You can assign commanders to ships and TF; you cannot assign commanders to TG.  For role-playing purposes, the F12 screen lists the senior officer present within a TG (including non-captains who are passengers on ships) as the "Senior Officer" - this will also show up as the officer's assignment on the Leader (F4) screen.  The senior officer of a TG has no effect on game mechanics, however.

John

Offline WCG

• W
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 07:54:58 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
It sounds like you're mixing up Task Groups (the things you control with the F12 screen) and Task Forces (the things you control with the ctrl-F4 screen).

Thanks, John. You're right, I didn't know there was a difference.

So, the commander of a Task Force does have an effect on game mechanics? And which one, the Task Group or the Task Force, needs to train together to become more effective?

Thanks,

Bill

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
Quote from: "WCG"
So, the commander of a Task Force does have an effect on game mechanics? And which one, the Task Group or the Task Force, needs to train together to become more effective?

A TG is just a collection of ships in exactly the same spatial location, and who you give orders to to all do the same thing (or sit around idling while part of the TG does something like load cargo).

TG can be given training missions (2nd tab of F12 screen), which increase their ships' training levels, as long as:

1) They're in the same system as their TF (I think this is what you mean by "train together")
2)  The TF command group has a training rating (look on ctrl-F4) greater than 0.  Training rating comes from the crew training rating of the TF commander and the ops operator.

John

Offline WCG

• W
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
OK, thanks again for the explanation!

Bill