Author Topic: Reviewing Designs  (Read 1238 times)

Offline Somnus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
Reviewing Designs
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »
So I decided to start a game and allow it to assign my tech points as well as create ships and modules so that I could try to learn how to design things. While I can see ship stats and what modules they have, etc., I was wondering: is there a way to review designed modules? For instance, can I pull up a missile somehow and see how it was designed? What engine it has, what the warhead size is, etc. The same for engines and everything else. I know I can see racial tech, and I could play around with parameters in designing to try and match what the racial tech shows, but is there a better way?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: Reviewing Designs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »
I believe in the system map there is a button somewhere along the top right which does what you are describing. It's name escapes me, but it's symbol is a circuit board if I remember correctly.

Offline Somnus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:28:37 AM »
Yeah, that's the one that just lists the racial techs. It gives a minimum of information, but not enough to reverse-engineer the module, as it were.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:58:45 AM »
If you look at the missile design window, you should be able to call up past designs.

Offline Somnus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:35:15 PM »
Any way for other modules, such as engines?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:04:02 AM »
You want the technology report page, control+F7 (also visible under the empires dropdown menu).
This shows the basic details of all currently available systems, sorted by type, and obsolete systems are available with a checkbox in the corner.
You should be able to reverse engineer something by looking at the size, strength, power, and other details.
I realize this is exactly what JacenHan said earlier, but it's enough once you have some idea of the basic component strengths at different tech levels. The wiki really needs a list of what the different techs do to make reverse engineering easier, but most players just start a new game or have a test game and change the techs on the design screen around untill a system looks the same as the system they're trying to reverse engineer.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:07:30 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "