Author Topic: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 12674 times)

Offline Hari

• Petty Officer
  • H
Re: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2023, 01:33:32 PM »
Not sure if this was present before 2.5.

If you have an ancient construct on a colony, and that you build/bring research labs and pop before use xenoarcheology team, you will see the research bonus in your projets (if using the right field).

So you can deduce the field and bonus, and use them, with no need to xenoarch.

SJW: Fixed for v2.5.1
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 06:04:44 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline tastythighs

• The Orange
  • Petty Officer
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2023, 01:42:09 PM »
Quote from: nakorkren link=topic=13419. msg167483#msg167483 date=1703452887
When target of a missile salvo goes out of range, missiles delete themselves (as is appropriate) but the salvo continues to display on the map, just showing quantity 0 missiles in the salvo.  This was discovered in v2. 4. 0 but to my knowledge hasn't been addressed in v2. 5. 0.

SJW: From the above, it sounds like this hasn't been reproduced in v2. 5. 0.  Please don't report until reproduced, as this was addressed in v2. 5. 0 changes.

Can confirm, this issue still exists in 2. 5. 0

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2023, 08:30:16 AM »
Civilian Shipping Lines are building ships/fleets with identical names:

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2023, 01:17:32 PM »
Minor DB bug: The Ordnance Transfer Hub component is not marked as SingleSystemOnly (in FCT_ShipDesignComponents). I suspect that it should be since all Ordnance Transfer Systems as well as all of the refueling components are single-system only.

SJW: Fixed for next DB update
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 11:57:47 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2024, 03:24:08 AM »
"Construct Org" allows you to create an "invisible" queue of GU formations on colonies that have GU production facilities but no population (resulting in 0 GU production). The queue cannot be viewed in this state and selecting the affected population will throw a "division by zero" error.

Moving people into the population restores correct behaviour and the "invisible" GU queue will become visible.

Repro:
1 - Make an organisation
2 - Use "Construct org" on a colony that has GU production facilities but no one to work them
3 - Select the colony to get the error
BONUS
4 - Move some colonists to the colony
5 - See that the GUC queue is now visible

IMO on the dropdown in the GU screen, instead of filtering out populations that don't have GU facilities I would filter out those that have 0 effective GU production.

SJW: Fixed for v2.5.1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:08:54 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Elminster

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2024, 09:17:21 AM »
My Ground Force Commanders don't get promoted and so don't get assigned to units.
Is there something I missed, or is this an actual bug?
Ignore the couple of higher ranking officers, these were promoted and assigned manually.

SJW: Do you have any ground commander roles for OberstLeutnant? Commanders can only be promoted one rank per year and won't be promoted unless there is an open role at the next rank.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:11:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2024, 09:57:49 AM »
My Ground Force Commanders don't get promoted and so don't get assigned to units.
Is there something I missed, or is this an actual bug?
Ignore the couple of higher ranking officers, these were promoted and assigned manually.

Not a bug; commanders will now (since 2.0) only promote if there is a role for them to fill, which for ground commanders means a formation requiring a commander one rank higher. Note that commanders can only promote by one rank, so if you have a bunch of Majors, no formations requiring Oberst commanders, and then formations requiring Generals to command, the Majors will not double-promote to Generals.

Since having Majors as the lowest rank for ground units is usually impractical I recommend renaming the ranks as desired, but the important thing is that that you must have formations for every rank in the hierarchy for auto-promote to work as intended.

Offline Elminster

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2024, 11:06:42 AM »
but the important thing is that that you must have formations for every rank in the hierarchy for auto-promote to work as intended.
So I have to create AND build formations I don't want to use in order to get my Officers auto-promoted? That seems weird.

That doesn't apply to Navy Officers, so why to Ground Officers?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2024, 11:09:06 AM »
but the important thing is that that you must have formations for every rank in the hierarchy for auto-promote to work as intended.
So I have to create AND build formations I don't want to use in order to get my Officers auto-promoted? That seems weird.

That doesn't apply to Navy Officers, so why to Ground Officers?

It applies to Navy officers too. If you have a bunch of FACs requiring LCDRs and some warships requiring CAPTs, then you won't promote any LCDRs to CAPTs unless you have some other jobs for CDRs to facilitate the promotion process. Of course for the naval side this is usually less of a problem since you can have commercial ships and additional control modules (AUX, ENG, etc.) to help manage this, but mechanically it works the same way.

It's really not a big deal, just don't have ranks in your hierarchy that you're not using unless you want to promote manually over those ranks - which is a mechanic I use actually quite often to control my officer rank distribution while still using the autopromotion system.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:11:20 AM by nuclearslurpee »

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2024, 12:58:37 PM »
I do find the tonnage based required rank allocation for ground units to be a bit of a problem with the auto promotion system. You have to make very weird formation sizes to have each higher HQ fit within the tonnage categories so ranks aren't skipped. I also end up with a _lot_ of very small formations to try and make things fit, which is a pain. But not a bug. If anything maybe a suggestion could be to allow the player to manually assign ranks to formations. That or have the tonnage breakpoints be more sensible.

SJW: You can assign ranks to formations and formation templates - the default values are only a suggestion and can be overriden.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:12:43 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2024, 01:26:40 PM »
Encountering a bug that has occurred in previous versions:
When some NPR ships approach a NPR planet, a large number of error windows appear for errors 478, 1943, 1954.
The NPR ships in question are civilian line ships.

Steve previously replied to someone encountering this problem here:
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=13078. msg166189#msg166189 date=1700562414
"2. 1. 1 Function #1954: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "
"2. 1. 1 Function #1943: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "
"2. 1. 1 Function #478: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. "

The error codes relate to identifying alien ships.  This is relatively short code that runs all the time without issue, so there must be something unusual in this case.  The only option seems to be that the attempt to identify is looking at a ship without either a parent class or a parent race somehow.  It could be related to your manual creation of the ships, but even that is not particularly unusual. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a v2. 1 version of the code to test this on and your current DB won't work with the v2. 2 code.

from my attached game, any time increment should throw the error.

The ships that are causing the problem, are Civilian Shipping Line ships, specifically the Ghorpade Small F1 (other civilian line ships that have approached Mars have caused this before in my game).

I was not having any problems with this game, until the civilian shipping lines started building ships.

Database is edited to alter population requirements for some planetary installations (due to the smaller populations of the involved powers)

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2024, 01:27:01 PM »
I do find the tonnage based required rank allocation for ground units to be a bit of a problem with the auto promotion system. You have to make very weird formation sizes to have each higher HQ fit within the tonnage categories so ranks aren't skipped. I also end up with a _lot_ of very small formations to try and make things fit, which is a pain. But not a bug. If anything maybe a suggestion could be to allow the player to manually assign ranks to formations. That or have the tonnage breakpoints be more sensible.

But you can manually assign what rank the commander of the ground formation will be. It is Change Rank button in Ground Forces window.

The following users thanked this post: Snoman314

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2024, 01:36:32 PM »

But you can manually assign what rank the commander of the ground formation will be. It is Change Rank button in Ground Forces window.

Note that you can set the required rank for a formation template (Formation Templates tab --> Change Rank button), or the required rank for a specific formation (Order of Battle tab --> select formation --> Change Rank button).

The following users thanked this post: Conscript Gary, Snoman314

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2024, 02:36:16 PM »
Encountering a bug that has occurred in previous versions:
When some NPR ships approach a NPR planet, a large number of error windows appear for errors 478, 1943, 1954.
The NPR ships in question are civilian line ships.

I deleted all the civilian ships from FCT_Ship, and these errors stopped occurring (but got a few new ones instead), so it would appear that civilian ships are what's causing the problem with errors 478,1943,1954.

SJW: There has to be something else going on. If civilian ships approaching planets caused errors, this thread would have a lot of comments. There is something specific about your game.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:14:05 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2024, 02:36:43 PM »
Huh. I will have to look into that. Thankyou!