Author Topic: Updates to Teams and Ruins for v3.3  (Read 5331 times)

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Updates to Teams and Ruins for v3.3
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
In v3.3, officers will no longer be retired when you assign them to a team. They will remain within the command structure and can be removed from the team at a later date.

Teams are still created in the same way as before on the Pop window except you have some additional options for listing officers that are already assigned and that are in other locations. When you select Officers on the Commanders window that have been assigned to a team, their assignment will be shown as that team and their location will be the team's current location. Officers in teams retain their ranks and will be promoted in the normal way. Officers within a team can be assigned to other commands in the same way as any other officer. If an officer is transferred from a team to a new command, the rating of the team will be reduced by an amount equal to the relevant bonus for the officer. Officers in teams will suffer from ill health and accidents like any other officer and if they die or are forced to retire they will be removed from the team and its rating will be reduced. Teams with less than 5 members will be listed as potential assignments on the commanders window so that new team members can be assigned. When a officer joins an understrength team, the team rating is increased by the relevant bonus of the officer. The relevant bonuses of officers assigned to teams will occasionally increase in the same way as officers assigned to ships, planets, ground units, etc.. When a bonus increases in this way, the rating of his team will be increased by the same amount. This replaces the current method by which teams improve their ratings. Cybernetic Teams and Archaeological Teams have both been replaced by a new Xenoarchaeological Team which effectively performs both roles of the old team types.

Ruins have been changed slightly in v3.3. Instead of Abandoned Mines and Abandoned Factories there are now just Abandoned Installations, which cover both of the previous categories. In addition, the discovery of new tech systems is no longer a separate function to the recovery of installations and there is no longer an exploitation chance. Instead, every time a research facility is recovered there is a 20% chance that a tech system will also be learned. Each time a team makes a successfull recovery roll for an Abandoned Installation, there is a chance they will find the installation is beyond repair. In this case no recovery will take place and the number of Abandoned Installations will be reduced by 1. The chance of this happening is equal to 200 - Xenoarchaeological Team Rating. So on average a team with a rating of 100 will only successfully recover half of the Abandoned Installations. A a team with a rating of 140 will successfully recover approximately seventy percent of the Abandoned Installations. When all Abandoned Installations on a planet have been recovered or lost, the ruins will be classed as exploited and removed from the planet.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Updates to Teams and Ruins for v3.3
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
The chance of this happening is equal to 200 - Xenoarchaeological Team Rating.

Um - I hope that's actually "(200-Xenoarchaeological Team Rating)/2".

John

PS - Sounds good.  Do SY show up as abandoned orbital installations?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
If SY show as orbital installations, then just the fact of having X number of orbital installations is a giveaway of how many shipyards are potentially available, since there are no other orbital installations.

I'd prefer to see just "installations" with no indicator of orbital or not, unless you add in additional orbital facilities.

Perhaps make any installation (with the exception of mines) have an orbital option for an additional cost. Say a 20% surcharge.

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:41:30 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
The chance of this happening is equal to 200 - Xenoarchaeological Team Rating.
Um - I hope that's actually "(200-Xenoarchaeological Team Rating)/2".
Oops! It is as written but I am rolling it as a random number from 1-200 :)

PS - Sounds good.  Do SY show up as abandoned orbital installations?
I haven't decided yet. I think that would be the most realistic though. There would be a very limited number and I would make it much harder to recover them than ground-based installations. I'll post some numbers when I have given it more thought.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 05:47:20 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
If SY show as orbital installations, then just the fact of having X number of orbital installations is a giveaway of how many shipyards are potentially available, since there are no other orbital installations.
That might not be a problem, especially if I make them hard to recover, which means you might not recover them at alll. Knowing how many there may be is not much different than the existing abandoned mines. However, I might throw in some other orbiting items such as wrecks or perhaps even abandoned precursor spacecraft. Most would be reasonably mundane such as terraformers, fuel harvesters, freighters, etc. but think how much fun you could have with a recovered precursor warship :). You could use it to threaten your enemies or scrap it in an attempt to learn its secrets.

Steve

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »
Cybernetic Teams and Archaeological Teams have both been replaced by a new Xenoarchaeological Team which effectively performs both roles of the old team types.

Steve

Do the archeological and cybernetic bonuses both affect the teams rating cumulatively, or is the highest bonus used if an officer has both?

Adam.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
Cybernetic Teams and Archaeological Teams have both been replaced by a new Xenoarchaeological Team which effectively performs both roles of the old team types.

Steve

Do the archeological and cybernetic bonuses both affect the teams rating cumulatively, or is the highest bonus used if an officer has both?

Adam.

I would presume that the skills would be combined into one Xenoarchaeology skill.

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 12:18:48 AM »
Why name them xenoarcheologists?  the name only really covers part of the units description. What about xenoresearchers or XenoCybernetist? On the flip side, I don't lose my officers to the teams on a permanent basis anymore.

Offline Shinanygnz

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
I remember convincing you that this was a go-er a bit ago (as you'd previously been reluctant to make it easy to make & break teams) with the idea a team gained experience like a task force and when an officer was assigned away, the team would suffer a drop in accrued XP.  Any plans to add this?
Either way, glad this is in now.
Thanks
Stephen

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 06:21:42 AM »
Quote from: "Shinanygnz"
I remember convincing you that this was a go-er a bit ago (as you'd previously been reluctant to make it easy to make & break teams) with the idea a team gained experience like a task force and when an officer was assigned away, the team would suffer a drop in accrued XP.  Any plans to add this?
The officers gain experience now rather than the team so the team skill is a total of the officers skills. When an officer leaves the team skill is reduced accordingly.

I was concerned about making it too easy to have lots of teams. However, with the changes to ruins there are now good reasons not to use inexperienced teams for diplomacy, espionage, geology and xenoarchaeology so too many teams is no longer a problem.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 06:22:51 AM »
Quote from: "adradjool"
Those bonuses have been replaced by a xenoarchaeology bonus

Steve

Offline SteveAlt (OP)

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
Quote from: "Haegan2005"
Why name them xenoarcheologists?  the name only really covers part of the units description. What about xenoresearchers or XenoCybernetist? On the flip side, I don't lose my officers to the teams on a permanent basis anymore.
I went for the name because their job is to explore and study alien ruins but I am not particularly attached to it. If there is a general player consensus on a better name I would be happy to change it.

Steve

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »
I went for the name because their job is to explore and study alien ruins but I am not particularly attached to it. If there is a general player consensus on a better name I would be happy to change it.

Steve

XenoResearcher? XenoTechnologist?

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 08:55:02 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"

Steve

XenoResearcher? XenoTechnologist?

I like the XenoResearcher.

Offline schroeam

• Lt. Commander
  • s
  • "Let's try a new strategy, let the Wookiee win"
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »
I actually like Xenologists.  That way the name doesn't imply any direct specialty with regards to research, engineering, or archeology.  Any new technology from an archeology site is discovered, not researched, where the factories and mines are physically restored by engineers and technicians.  Xenologists, with a specialty of Xenology, would perform all the tasks involved with uncovering the secrets and culture of ancient alien civilizations.  Maybe having someone with a secondary skill in Xenology in a trade or diplomatic team would add a bonus when dealing with an alien (non-human) race.  Team rating of 120 plus a percentage for the Xeno specialty (15% for example) would give the team a total of 138.  Just a thought.

Adam.