Author Topic: Of Geosurvey Drones  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Of Geosurvey Drones
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:59:46 AM »
hey,

Trying to see if a geo survey drone has some advantages over the good old way. Theoretically I see two:

a) send the drone to a very distant planet (planets of a binary star 10 bm away) so that you don't have to haul your ship there.

b) drop the drone over a big planet (as a bomb) and let it do its work slowly while you process something else.

Now, I'm trying to come with a size 24 drone for that (as my navy possesses 24 Cal. Torp launchers tubes) but I'm impeded by a few things.

Most notably, the max geo survey points of the missile is dependant of the engine I use, because I think the game assumes I'll burn up all my fuel travelling, which is not true. So any clue or design here, how you do the trick?

Should I design a missile engine with super low fuel usage anyway?

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Re: Of Geosurvey Drones
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:44:53 AM »
AFAIK reactor endurance is now unlimited and geosurvey missiles will self-destruct after completing their job, although I haven't tested it myself.

Tried to make one to survey the planets around the binary component of my home system earlier today, but I kept getting overflow errors - I suspect the fact it was 1.26 trillion km(ie 8400 AU ie 0.13 lightyears) away had something to do with it.

Sent a ship instead. ETA: 20 years. Hope they packed enough snacks.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:34:34 AM »
I sorely wanted to make survey drones, but the extreme RP requirement of large missiles and particularly large launchers has always deterred me.
However in my newer games i will keep around some ICBM launchers for launching the odd probe, they're slow but for exploration it shouldn't matter so much.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
I can help you on that: research the techs reducing rate of fire in exchange of a reduction in size of the launcher, this way they cost much less to research. At least the 5x / 0.5 one.