New Players > C# Tutorials

Quick demonstration on making ground units

(1/6) > >>

Garfunkel:
EDIT: a new, improved video with voiceover.

Creating unit types, unit formations and adding elements to the formations, ending with creating an OOB. Using SM mode to instantly research and build them.

DoctorDanny:
I have a question related to ground force design.

I'm not exactly sure if it's best to integrate support and hq units into my unit design or if it's better to have these roles as separate unit designs.

So, should I, for example add supply trucks to an Infantry Platoon or should I design dedicated supply and HQ units and deploy them alongside my infantry?

Garfunkel:
Always tick "Avoid Combat" for both HQ and supply, as well as STO.

The vehicle-based supply unit can supply ANY formation in its chain of command so there is no need to include them at the lowest levels. What I'm doing in the video is to have one set of supplies at the regiment level, and then another set at the division level. These will keep the division fighting at full tempo for a week, which gives me sufficient time to transport more supply trucks to the invasion planet.

However, you don't need to have supply as part of your OOB at all. The units carry some supplies with themselves - certainly, enough for a day of combat - and they can still defend when out of supply. Then you can build pure supply formations that get shipped to wherever they are needed for when you're planning an offensive.

For HQs, the reason to use them is to get to use Ground Commanders and to utilize their bonuses. How intricate your OOB becomes is all up to you - how much micromanagement in designing, building and forming your formations can you stomach? Remember, you have to manually replace all combat losses too.

Father Tim:

--- Quote from: DoctorDanny on April 14, 2020, 01:25:03 AM ---I have a question related to ground force design.

I'm not exactly sure if it's best to integrate support and hq units into my unit design or if it's better to have these roles as separate unit designs.

So, should I, for example add supply trucks to an Infantry Platoon or should I design dedicated supply and HQ units and deploy them alongside my infantry?

--- End quote ---

It largely doesn't matter, as there is not yet any "rebuild to template" functionality.

So, for example, when a PW-INF formation with, say, 20 INF-based Supply members gets into sustained combat and consumes half of them, it will forever more* have only 10 'supply guys'.

In other words, you can add or remove supply at any time and the only things you need to worry about are HQ rating and transport size.  Even in the middle of active ground combat you can shuffle surviving supply units from one formation to another

- - - - -

*so, clearly, NOT forever more, but rather only until you (or combat) make changes.

= = = = =

The basic trade-off is that vehicle-based supply is less efficient to produce & transport, but infantry-based suply makes the supplied unit 'larger' in combat and thus more likely to be attacked.

Droll:

--- Quote from: Father Tim on April 14, 2020, 05:23:17 AM ---
--- Quote from: DoctorDanny on April 14, 2020, 01:25:03 AM ---I have a question related to ground force design.

--- End quote ---

It largely doesn't matter, as there is not yet any "rebuild to template" functionality.

So, for example, when a PW-INF formation with, say, 20 INF-based Supply members gets into sustained combat and consumes half of them, it will forever more* have only 10 'supply guys'.

In other words, you can add or remove supply at any time and the only things you need to worry about are HQ rating and transport size.  Even in the middle of active ground combat you can shuffle surviving supply units from one formation to another

- - - - -

*so, clearly, NOT forever more, but rather only until you (or combat) make changes.

= = = = =

The basic trade-off is that vehicle-based supply is less efficient to produce & transport, but infantry-based suply makes the supplied unit 'larger' in combat and thus more likely to be attacked.

--- End quote ---

I hope that some sort of auto-replenishment becomes a thing in the future. I should be able to replenish all ground forces on a planet with training facilities to template defaults.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version