Author Topic: New races and general empire layout  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Captain_Goatse (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • C
New races and general empire layout
« on: December 26, 2014, 06:11:56 AM »
Merry Xmas everyone, friends!

I am starting to plan around my empire layout.  AFAIK there is no point in trying to develop other planets: Earth should have all research and building facilities, the other planets should be used only for mining, apart for the very best worlds that should be tformed and used as population sinks and to generate commerce.  Am I right?

Talking about that, I've found a planet with a real mineral bounty, too bad it has some "interesting" characteristics, like a surface temp of 1600 C, 2. 77 g of gravity and a delightful atmosphere.  That planet is way worse than Venus. . .

Do you think that a new race could colonize this little gem? BTW, can somebody explain the procedure to create a new race and to ship the mutated colonists onsite, since there is no way it could be tformed?

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: New races and general empire layout
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
Merry Xmas everyone, friends!

I am starting to plan around my empire layout.  AFAIK there is no point in trying to develop other planets: Earth should have all research and building facilities, the other planets should be used only for mining, apart for the very best worlds that should be tformed and used as population sinks and to generate commerce.  Am I right?

Other than systems that are perhaps a month or more travel from Earth, yes you are perhaps correct. However doing that sort of play will quickly get you to the point of making all your choices on a statistic based method. This quickly then ends up becoming a spreadsheet game with zero soul to it. I find Aurora to be a game that takes so long to progress that what keeps things interesting are the RPG elements you can apply to everything, I have found there is never that classic "one more turn" with this game. Instead what keeps me playing is things like "ok we now have finally moved our shipyards to x planet for x reasons" all of which are based on my own personal RPG story choices.

You may find you are happy playing the game with a min/max ethos, but I tried it to begin with and quickly got bored until I changed my view on things.

Talking about that, I've found a planet with a real mineral bounty, too bad it has some "interesting" characteristics, like a surface temp of 1600 C, 2. 77 g of gravity and a delightful atmosphere.  That planet is way worse than Venus. . .

Do you think that a new race could colonize this little gem? BTW, can somebody explain the procedure to create a new race and to ship the mutated colonists onsite, since there is no way it could be tformed?

The gravity aspect of that planet is the likely cause of the high mineral count, though it probably had awful accessibility scores too. General planets with a high gravity have larger amounts of minerals that are hard to get to, and low gravity works visa versa. As for colonising the planet it depends again on location and your RPG elements. It may well be a world that is best to dump a lot of auto mines on and leave them working away for the next 1000 years or so, or you might like the idea of hulking power lifters scraping out the ores there, and just work it with the less desirables of society.

As for the process of making a new species here is how I do it, though as you say there is no proper tutorial or wiki on the subject so others may have a better method.

1. Design your species on the tech screen, specify the gravity/oxygen/temperature needs of this new species and name it. Then complete the research project for this species.

2. Get some of this new species to exist, this involves having some genetic centers on a planet with an existing level of your base human population. On the environment tab of the F2 screen you will see options for tinkering with the populations genetics. Use the drop down menu to select your new species and they will start to be converted at a rate listed by your genetic modification rate on the summary page. (This kind of works like terrafoming, you just swap say 2 mil humans for 2 mil martians each year)

3. Make sure to properly refresh the F2 screen and after a few months you will find you have a new colony of martians on Earth (assuming you started to convert there). Now you also need to ensure you have some infrastructure there as they will likely not survive in Earths environment without protection. This population will now grow as standard and also with new additions from the genetic centers.

4. When you add new colonies to a body on the F9 screen there is a drop down at the top right, this allows you to select what species you are using. So you can select your martians and you will see all of the system bodies change slightly. For example Earth would no longer be a 0 cost world but Mars would now be 0 cost, this can be handy when looking at prospective new colonies. You can flick between your different species and instantly spot 0 cost worlds that would of otherwise cost you years in time and lots of infrastructure to colonise with humans.

5. Once you have a colony set up on Mars for martians you can either start shipping them there yourself with standard colony orders (just select the martian colony at Earth to load from), or just allow your civilians to do the work with the use of source/destination orders from the F2 screen.

Once that is done you are up and away with a new species. The only limitation are you can only change a species once, if you found a new world like Mars but slightly out of the 0 cost range for martians, you cannot make a new species and start changing any martians. You would have to start the process from step 2 back at Earth as you require base humans to modify from. The only real thing left to do if breed face dancers control the spice.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
Rich.h is correct that it helps to have a roleplayed reason for colonizing other worlds. But, if you need gameplay reasons, here are a few that I thought of:

1. Different civilian administrators have different bonuses, so moving shipyards and ground force training facilities to another colony can make the most of your production potential.
2. Concentrating research labs on your home planet is fine, until you find one or more research anomalies.
3. Manned mines are half as expensive as automated mines, in terms of mineral cost, so putting manned colonies on mining worlds gives you more bang for your transnewtonian buck unless the colonization itself is too expensive.
4. If you are facing an aggressive threat, then you may not want to put all your manufacturing facilities on one planet. Plus, populations can run maintenance facilities, ordnance factories, and fuel refineries closer to where your warships are operating. Plus they can provide places for shore leave without having to design a ship with a 2,000 HS recreational module.

As for your 2.77g planet, I believe that is beyond the ability of genetic enineering to handle, assuming you start from standard human base stock. Of course, maybe in expanding you will find and conquer an alien race with a high enough gravity tolerance to handle that planet, and that's another reason to move beyond Earth!

Offline Captain_Goatse (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • C
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
Thanks for the answers.

Quote from: Prince of Space link=topic=7638. msg77420#msg77420 date=1419609427
Rich. h is correct that it helps to have a roleplayed reason for colonizing other worlds.

Probably I am not autistic enough for that.

2.  Concentrating research labs on your home planet is fine, until you find one or more research anomalies.

No one yet.

4.  If you are facing an aggressive threat, then you may not want to put all your manufacturing facilities on one planet.  Plus, populations can run maintenance facilities, ordnance factories, and fuel refineries closer to where your warships are operating.  Plus they can provide places for shore leave without having to design a ship with a 2,000 HS recreational module.

That's interesting.  How many colonist do I need to make a shore leave station?

As for your 2. 77g planet, I believe that is beyond the ability of genetic enineering to handle, assuming you start from standard human base stock.  Of course, maybe in expanding you will find and conquer an alien race with a high enough gravity tolerance to handle that planet, and that's another reason to move beyond Earth!
I will probably fill it up with auto mines or gut it with my Ishimura class planetcracker ships.

By the way, I guess that I have to research Genome and some other techs before I can start breeding some Morlochs to colonize mineral rich planets. . .  Can somebody explain me the required tech or the tech tree? The wiki looks obsolete to me!

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »
It takes a population of at least 10,000 (or 0.01 million) to provide adequate shore leave facilities.

Shipboard mining only happens via the asteroid mining module (or the sorium harvesting module, but that doesnt work on terrestrial planets). Asteroid mining modules won't work on planets, only asteroids and comets.

Researching the Biology/Genetics technology Genome Sequence Research gives access to the lowest tiers of the genetic modifications. Then you can research the modifications individually. Then you have to design a new species based off an unmodified species, applying the unlocked modifications. Finally you have to build and utilize the Genetic Modification Center installations to transform members of the base species into the modified species. The resulting members of the new species should show up as a separate population on the planet where you are doing the modifications.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
The principle is identical to any other advanced component - you research the basic parts and then design the prototype where you put them all together and name&research it.

You may find you are happy playing the game with a min/max ethos, but I tried it to begin with and quickly got bored until I changed my view on things.
Yeah, this happened to me as well. First two games I went with the typical strategy game min/maxing effort to "beat" it, which doesn't really work for Aurora. After reading the fiction that other people wrote, I went with a more relaxed playstyle, aiming to maximize fun instead. Never looked back, not even when a certain spoiler race wiped out humanity thanks to my poorly planned defences.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:03 AM »
I think the major problem with Aurora is that it is not a game in the traditional sense. It is a sandbox of tools to build your own science fiction universe. There are too many ways to "brake" the game mechanics which simply make no sense, neither is it really necessary. The AI are mainly there to be a semi threat and some players actually play several factions at the same time. If you want the AI to be a real threat you must build "sub optimal" ships and use "sub optimal" strategies that don´t make much sense from the standpoint of game mechanics.

With that said there are many reasons for why you want developed population on other planets beside Earth, many of those has been given.

You will easily see how spreading out your colonies on worlds in many places will lower logistical cost in the long run and it also make sure your population total increase faster as well. It simply is much cheaper to haul minerals around than finished structures.

You will want to have logistical hubs all around a large empire that can support military fleets and attract civilian ships for trade, this might be especially important when jumps from Earth start to become too far, the civilian fleet will not trade more than four jumps from one place to another. If all your worlds is very small you might not get enough civilian ships around to do any trade.

It will be important to have industry on most worlds so you can produce Space Stations and Financial Centers, these can not be moved from place to place. It might also be more economical to build stuff locally than ship everything from a central point. In the start when an Empire is small this is not a problem, but as an empire grow logistics and fuel cost will matter.

In general I support worlds with colony ships and infrastructure until they reach about 25 million. After this I let the worlds grow on its own until they reach 300-500 million people after which I allow these worlds to send people to other worlds. I usually keep Earth as my most numerous world that house my main source of science and wealth income. I usually let other worlds become industrial and production centers.

Military expenditure and strategical planning are completely based on needs and the empire layout and any potential threats. Remember that military is nothing but a drain on resources so there are no point in having too much of it.