Author Topic: Glossary of Abbreviations?  (Read 42000 times)

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
Glossary of Abbreviations?
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
Does one exist?  The UI, menus, and tutorials use a staggering amount of abbreviations...sometimes, there is no explanation of what is being abbreviated and its not always self explanatory...if a glossary exists where is it located and if not, I hope thats something that can be put together eventually.

S/F

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Glossary of Abbreviations?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
Quote from: "Jarhead0331"
Does one exist?  The UI, menus, and tutorials use a staggering amount of abbreviations...sometimes, there is no explanation of what is being abbreviated and its not always self explanatory...if a glossary exists where is it located and if not, I hope thats something that can be put together eventually.
I think the problem is that many of us have got so used to all to all the jargon and abbreviations we don't even realise when we are using them.

I'll start posting a list in this thread so if anyone has an abbreviation they need translating, post it in this thread and I will keep editing the master list contained in the next post

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
Placeholder Post for abbreviation list

AM: Automated Mine or Anti-matter
CF: Construction Factory
CIWS: Close in Weapon System. An automated phalanx-type system
ECCM: Electronic Counter Counter Measures. Counters the effects of ECM
ECM: Electronic Counter-measures
EM: Electromagnetic. Used for EM sensors, EM signature, etc
GB Engine: See FAC Engine
GB: Gunboat. Another term used for Fast Attack Craft (FAC)
GC: Gauss Cannon
FAC: Fast Attack Craft. In Aurora terms, usually used to refer to a small spacecraft of about 500-1000 tons that is equipped with a Fast Attack Craft Engine. Sometimes called a Gunboat
FAC Engine: Sometimes referred to as a GB Engine. This is a high-powered engine that has double the normal output but uses 10x fuel. Only one can be mounted on a spacecraft
FC: Fire Control
GFTF: Ground Forces Training Facility
HS: Hull Space. Ships are measured in hull spaces, which are 50 tons each. So a size 100 ship is 5000 tons.
HTK: Hits to Kill: How much damage is required to automatically destroy a ship system. If less damage than the HTK rating is inflicted, the chance of destruction is damage/HTK.
IFR: Incremental Failure Rate. This is the chance of a system failure on a ship during a 5-day increment. On the Ship Summary it shows the current IFR based on the ship's maintenance clock. On the Class Summary it shows the failure rate for a ship with one year on the clock.
JP: Jump point. Occasionally referred to as Warp Point
LP: Lagrange Point. An intra-system jump point found in the L5 lagrange point of super-jovians or massive gas giants (about sixty degrees behind the planet in its orbit)
MSP: Missile Size Point. The way in which the size of missiles, or the amount of space deciated to missile components, is usually described. 1 hull space (50 tons) is equal to 20 MSP. 1 MSP is equal to 1/20th of a hull space, or about 2.5 tons.
MSP: Maintenance Supply Point. MSP are used by ships to fix maintenance failures and carry out repairs.
NPR: Non-player Race. A computer-controlled Empire
OWP: Orbital Weapons Platform. Essentially a ship with no engines in orbit of a planet.
PD: Point Defense ?
PDC: Planetary Defence Centre. A base on a planetary surface. Designed in the Class Design window in a similar way to a ship. The difference is that the Type dropdown (middle top) is set to PDC instead of Ship. Built by industry rather than Shipyards
ROF: Rate of Fire
RP: Research Points
SM: Spacemaster. The referee in a multii-player game
SM Mode: Accessible via Ctrl-S on the main menu. Allows you to see and do more than you normally would as a player
SY: Shipyard
TCS: Target Cross-Section. The size of target for the purposes of active sensors
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:25:24 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha, n+1^2

Offline Elmo

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
FAC = ?
PDC = ?

Just downloaded Aurora after seeing the thread at The Wargamer.  Really lost right now but hopefully it will make sense soon.  Thanks for what looks like a fun game.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:53:21 AM »
Quote from: "Elmo"
FAC = ?
PDC = ?

Just downloaded Aurora after seeing the thread at The Wargamer.  Really lost right now but hopefully it will make sense soon.  Thanks for what looks like a fun game.
Fast Attack Craft and Planetary Defence Centre. I have updated the main list

Steve

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
Thanks...and sorry for the double posts.  I was confused by the approval delay and thought my initial posts got lost.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »
Thanks...and sorry for the double posts.  I was confused by the approval delay and thought my initial posts got lost.
No problem. The approval process is only for the first 5 posts just to make sure we don't get spam

Steve

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
No problem. The approval process is only for the first 5 posts just to make sure we don't get spam

Steve

Understandable...hopefully stupid questions don't count as spam, because with this beast of a game, I'm going to have a lot of them!  :twisted:

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »
Stickied to keep near the top.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:54:55 AM »
I've got way too much time on my hands.

I've updated the wiki to include a glossary page. This page is accessible and readable as a full page. However (and this is the sweet part), if you are reading another page, and you come across a term (defined in the glossary), your mouse will change to include a ? on it. After a second or so, a tooltip pops up showing you the definition.

This is easily seen at http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.ph ... sile_Ships and hovering over TCS in the ship readouts.

As with a wiki, the glossary page is editable, so feel free to add to it.

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 06:09:33 AM »
Very nice work.

Can you add IFR and MSP to the glossary please?

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 09:27:44 AM »
Can you add HS please?

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
Does SP = Survey Points?  Got my first Geo survey ship to Luna (one small step for Elmo)    :lol:    and it seems to be counting down SP's so I'm guessing that is what it means.

Edit - And sorry for asking this in the glossary thread but my ship completed it survey of Luna but I don't see any report specific to Luna.  Do moon resources get added into the planet totals?

Offline Jarhead0331 (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 12:44:27 PM »
Quote from: "Elmo"

Edit - And sorry for asking this in the glossary thread but my ship completed it survey of Luna but I don't see any report specific to Luna.  Do moon resources get added into the planet totals?

I'm hardly an expert, but that data should be contained within the mineral summary sub-tab in the F2 Economics Window.  someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Elmo

• E
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:35:11 PM »
I think you mean the Minerals  sub tab in the System Map (which is F3).  I have looked there and on the Geological Survey Report but don't see any results for Luna or a lot of asteroids that we have explored since my last post.  I "assume" that means they don't contain any Trans-Newtonian minerals but I never did see any notice of success or failure from the surveys which is what has me a bit confused.

Edit - OK we did just get a successful survey on an asteroid so the others must have come up empty.  Perhaps there is a report somewhere that I'm overlooking.  Sorry for spamming the Glossary thread with this.  Please feel free to delete my posts here is you like.