Author Topic: Making a starting system RANDOM ?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
Making a starting system RANDOM ?
« on: July 26, 2014, 05:02:38 AM »
Is there a way to randomly generate your starting system ?
As far as i know, you always start in SOL with the known planets.
In SM mode, i can only see the optional to manually create an my home system from scratch, but i dont want to create a douzen stars etc.  Is there a way to just randomly get a system, like any other random system out there ?

thanks

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
Re: Making a starting system RANDOM ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »
When you start a game, choose "Create SM Empire" under Starting Race.  That gives you an empty game in which you can generate as many systems as you like or just take the first one.  You can  then either settle some custom race which suits the planet perfectly or plain old humans.

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 12:08:57 PM »
I tried your suggestion, but really, i dont get any "okay" random systems.
For SOL, you have a bunch of bodies and its actually "worthy" to start there.
I just genereated 10 random systems, and they were all smeg (sorry), with only asteroids, or 2 gas giants or whatnot.

Is there no way to generate random systems like Sol ?

In addition, am i restricted to nitro/Oxyd worlds ? I cant create an empire based on 73 Ammoniak 23 Nitro, 5 Neon (got Alpha Centauri...) ?

Can you not make a race rely not on ntri oxis ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:37:26 PM by AncientSion »

Offline DFDelta

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
Directly creating a start-ready system is not possible I think.
All you can do is create new ones until one comes up that is useable, or close enough to that to be edited into one.

Remember that you can also use SM mode to alter the resources and atmospheres of planets, so you don't have to repeatedly create new planets until you get one with a perfect nitrogen/oxygen (or whatever your race breathes) atmo.
I didn't know that at first, and learning that reduced my new system attempts from literally hundreds to one or two dozens at the start of a new campaign. (saves a lot of time)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:20:23 PM by DFDelta »
Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »
There are two gases that can be used to support a race in aurora.  They are Oxygen and Methane.  If you create an empire on a methane planet there will be a question if you want them to be methane breathing.  Other than that the mechanics are the same.

When creating systems look for terrestrial type bodies that have the gravity you are looking for and then add a colony to that planet.  You will be able to edit the atmosphere in SM mode, then after doing that you create the empire.  One note if you create an empire on a planet without any other colonies it will automatically change the minerals to a typical homeworld.  If you have a colony, even an SM colony, this will not happen and you will keep whatever minerals are already present (or possibly not present).

Brian

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
Okay, i figured it out and was able to create a methane-based race. I then used the "HW Minerals" Button to get HW-sized Minerals on it.

One last question however is the following. When choosing a Default race in the menu, i can now pick "SM Race" and my "Terran Empire", where my "Terran Empire" holds my race and the System i choosed for it.
Is that correct, or did i misclick something (i would assume i would have to Play "SM Race") ?
Im under the believe i made something wrong because my inital RP dont Show up in SM Mode unter "Terran Empire".

thank you !

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:40:46 AM »

(i would assume i would have to Play "SM Race") ?
Im under the believe i made something wrong because my inital RP dont Show up in SM Mode unter "Terran Empire".

thank you !
SM Race is a special case.  If you don't build anything with it then you can ignore it for the reast of the game.  It was designed to allow people to start in random systems, or to generate a section of the galaxy without any of the actual players getting that information.  Think of it as a tool for the game master/dungeon master sort of a setup.

Brian