Author Topic: Slow crew training  (Read 1050 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Slow crew training
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:54:42 PM »
Hi all

Just been running a v7.1 game and have noticed my crew training rate seems to be horribly slow. At the moment it is taking best part of 36 months to get up to 100% whereas I'm sure in the past I've seen this done in the year.

Ships are training in the sol system and are assigned to a TG in the only Sol TF I have. In the TF I have a naval command group assigned with a rear admiral leading and with a crew training skill of 125 plus a commodore in the ops role with crew training of 375. Then in the TG in question I have the leading TG commander as another commodore with crew training of 250. Other commanders in the ship vary between no crew training bonus and up to about 250. There is however very very little difference in the pace of crew training between ships in the TG. I have a second group training that has a captain as senior commander with crew training of 250 and see no noticeable difference in that groups training rate.

Am I missing something with how I have the groups organised here?

Offline Detros

• Commander
Re: Slow crew training
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
Training is point based, not percentage based, so points gained are distributed among the crew. Are you now using much bigger ships than before?

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »
Nope, all first generation 6000 ton Frigates. In previous games I've had far faster training times on far larger ships so am very confused!

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 02:46:43 AM »
How far back are you comparing with?

It seems fleet training rules were changed for 6.40 in around mid 2014 according to the change log:

Fleet Training Change
Fleet Training rate is currently based on task force commander's crew training plus half the operations officers crew training. For v6.40 this is changing to task force commander's crew training * task force operations bonus. The latter is equal to the operations officer's operations bonus * 25% of task force commander's operation bonus.

So if the TF commander has crew training 200 and ops bonus 10% and the operations officer has ops bonus 20%, the fleet training rating for the task force will be 200 x 1.05 x 1.20 = 252

This might explain what is happening here since:

Using 6.30 rules you would be getting 125+375/2 = 312.5
Using 6.40 and later you would be getting 125 x 1.? x 1.? = much lower ( likely around half ).

You probably still should see some good progress where you have task force commanders with 250 crew training, so I am not sure what the issue might be with those.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:56:28 AM by alex_brunius »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »
Also make sure your ship commanders are lower grade than the task force commander