Author Topic: Forgot to add a harvester  (Read 1415 times)

Roanock

Forgot to add a harvester
« on: April 30, 2016, 06:55:24 PM »
So I'm fairly new to Aurora, and I tried making a Sorium harvester for the first time.  Checked and figured out the Sorium harvester converts it straight to fuel, useful, so I add a load of fuel tanks, some decent engines, etc, seems good.

I forgot to add the Sorium Harvester components.

Is there anyway I can fix this without having to scrap the ship I've already made?
How does building individual ship components on a planet work?
How many Harvester components do people recommend?
Would adding a small ship to the fleet that only has harvester components work?

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
Re: Forgot to add a harvester
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:36:44 PM »
You can either do a refit or just SM it.  To refit, go in, copy the design, and add harvester modules.  Probably remove some fuel to keep the size relatively constant.  Then retool the shipyard and refit the existing ones.
As for how many harvester modules, my rule of thumb would be that you probably want a year or so worth of tankage.  Less gets irritating from a management standpoint.  More is a bit wasteful in terms of ship size.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Ostia

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • O
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
If you SM them: enable SM Mode, unlock the design in the Class Design Window, modify it to suit your needs, and, lock it and then click every single ship of the class in Ships Screen to update them. You probably need to load replacement crew as well, because the Harvester modules add to the crew count.

As for the capacity: I found one year to fill up to short. Way to much micro for me. I am aiming for ~5 years to fill up now, you can always collect/dump fuel in between if needed.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 04:48:57 AM »
I tend to work with two types of harvesters for fuel, first up is the kind that works as a stationary fueling point. These tend to be massive things that get towed into position, packed with huge numbers of storage tanks and set up so they will slowly fill to maximum capacity in 5-10 years or so. In reality they never get full as they are always used by passing ships as fueling points. Second up are my still large but automated fuel miners, these will be designed so that they can fill to maximum capacity in around 3-4 months. They are built with just enough engines to get them to around 200-300km/s, once built they are sent under their own steam to a site where there is also at least one moon in orbit, the moon is set up as a fuel depot and the harvesters given conditional orders that mean they work on a perpetual cycle of filling up and moving to dump the fuel at the depot and return to the site.

I also tend to have small fuel transports that work on repeat cycles between the depots and larger colonies meaning there is always a constant supply flowing in for the shipyards etc. Doing things this way means the only real interaction I have with my fuel industry is by way of updating the harvesters, when I increase my naval ship sizes or go on a large ship number expansion. I then simply do a doubling on ship size for my harvesters, build a new mining fleet and return the old ones for scrap. Other than that the entire fuel operations for my current campaign are all running without any input from me.