Author Topic: Any thoughts on "Gratuitous Space Battles"?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline StratPlayer (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • S
Any thoughts on "Gratuitous Space Battles"?
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:53:29 AM »
Hey,

I ran across a mention of this independent game recently. Certainly it's not in the scope of Aurora, but it looks kinda like a fun diversion:

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

Anyone have any experience with it?  Thoughts?
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"[/i

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Any thoughts on "Gratuitous Space Battles"?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
Quote from: "StratPlayer"
Hey,

I ran across a mention of this independent game recently. Certainly it's not in the scope of Aurora, but it looks kinda like a fun diversion:

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspacebattles/

Anyone have any experience with it?  Thoughts?
Looks interesting; I will have to give it a go when I have some free time.
Welchbloke

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
Gratuitous Space Battles seems to get pretty good reviews, so for what kind of game it is, I guess it's a good game. I haven't looked into it much because it's not my kind of game. I prefer 4x games.

The game I'm currently trying to decide on whether to buy or not is Distant Worlds.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline jocan2003

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • j
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 03:46:09 AM »
Distant world is good game wich have state and civilian like Aurora, it has a *plot* that will allow you to salvage some powerfull vessel ( not that much after a while ) and special government type, i liked it... for a while. It has a good depth but some automation or even how the design consider any new hull you capture as the new default and the game hard to keep up. The design saving method are crappy at best but if you can get over that, its a very good game.

As for gratuitous space battle you will love the freedom in the game ( ship design-wise ) the tactics you use will make you loose or win, good replayability, decent graphic. it a time killer game, the kind you play during a pause or for a small 30-40 minute then get to something else. Dont think you will be absorb for few week with the game. You may however. Both game was fun and i gladly say go for it!