Author Topic: Orbital Bombardment  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Lightning (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
Orbital Bombardment
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:34:37 PM »
I found an enemy mining colony on a moon that has 20 some ground units on it. I don't feel like moving in enough ground units to deal with them. Am I better off using big missiles, or 1 damage ones? Large salvos or lots of salvos?

Would like to minimize the damage to infrastructure if possible.

Thanks in advance

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Orbital Bombardment
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »
Auto mine and a mass driver. Then when you are done, you can use it to send yourself minerals.

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:22:49 AM »
And if you want to clean up the planet I recommend railguns. Those are the cleanest weapons that can target ground units. On the other hand, if you do not intend to make it a habitable colony ... nuke the crap out of them. ;D
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:54 AM »
No railguns in the fleet. No energy weapons either. It's a moon with automines on it and that is uninhabitable already. If railguns are the cleanest option, I may need to pull a point defense ship off the front line to use the CIWS on them.

I haven't found the enemy colony yet, so trying to use this moon as a test for softening up the ground troops. Trying to figure out if the chance for ground troop destruction is based on warhead size, number of warheads, or just a flat chance per salvo.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:06:32 AM by Lightning »

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
Auto mine and a mass driver. Then when you are done, you can use it to send yourself minerals.

One problem with this. It's an uninhabitable moon, so its either an enemy CMC which has a mass driver or a bunch of automines that may have a mass driver since there are a couple of such contacts in the system.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »
No railguns in the fleet. No energy weapons either. It's a moon with automines on it and that is uninhabitable already. If railguns are the cleanest option, I may need to pull a point defense ship off the front line to use the CIWS on them.

I haven't found the enemy colony yet, so trying to use this moon as a test for softening up the ground troops. Trying to figure out if the chance for ground troop destruction is based on warhead size, number of warheads, or just a flat chance per salvo.

If it's an actual CIWS, it can't be used offensively. Lasers, Gauss, Railguns, or Particle Beams should all work fine though. Missiles will also work fine if you don't mind the cost of the missile and irradiating the asteroid.

Offline Lightning (OP)

• L
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 09:45:57 AM »
If it's an actual CIWS, it can't be used offensively. Lasers, Gauss, Railguns, or Particle Beams should all work fine though. Missiles will also work fine if you don't mind the cost of the missile and irradiating the asteroid.
No actual railguns... irradiating the uninhabitable asteroid isn't a concern... As for the missile cost, they are an obsolete design. I do have some that are 1, 4, & 9 damage though. Do I have better chance to kill a ground unit using a salvo of 9 1 damage missiles, 9 salvo's of 1 damage each, 9 9 damage, etc

I've been trying a variety of things while waiting for responses, but haven't noticed a clear winner... which is making me think that the chance to destroy one is per salvo and not increased based on the damage that salvo does

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 09:47:33 AM »
No actual railguns... irradiating the uninhabitable asteroid isn't a concern... As for the missile cost, they are an obsolete design. I do have some that are 1, 4, & 9 damage though. Do I have better chance to kill a ground unit using a salvo of 9 1 damage missiles, 9 salvo's of 1 damage each, 9 9 damage, etc

I've been trying a variety of things while waiting for responses, but haven't noticed a clear winner... which is making me think that the chance to destroy one is per salvo and not increased based on the damage that salvo does

I think it's just total damage. 9 strength 1 and 1 strength 9 should be the same.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
One problem with this. It's an uninhabitable moon, so its either an enemy CMC which has a mass driver or a bunch of automines that may have a mass driver since there are a couple of such contacts in the system.

I'm not sure enemy mass drivers catch your packets...