Other Games > Geoffroy's 4X project

Main Topic - (OLD & CLOSED) -

(1/4) > >>

Geoffroypi:
Hello,

I have discovered a few years ago aurora, and its forum, which i still considered to be the best on the internet, for its level of discussion, and the good atmosphere.
That is why i decided to post here , despite being a bit reluctant to write in english.

Since august 2013 i started to develop a 4x , learning c++ in the process.
At the start it was just a text game , simulating a virtual realistic economy.
Then i began to learn SFML (along with c++ allows 2d graphics) , and started developing the actual game, in fact from august to november i have rewritten many times the program as my c++ skills were improving.
Now i think i have finally reached a cruise speed in the development of the game , and i think the project is enough anchored in my long-term ambition to be publicly presented.

For now it features :

-Procedurally generated universe (in real scale), galaxies are generated that generate (theorically) a few billions planetary systems that holds a star (will implement binary , ternary, quaternary ect...) star populations (OBAFGKM) are represented, planets , asteroids (no moons yet) are generated with their respective atmosphere physical and orbital properties ( currently not eccentric orbits (i have good reasons for that  ;D), and other characteristcs useful to establish a colony.

Province (colony if you prefer  ;) )  holds the following :
-Realistic trade economy based on (intelligent) supply/demand . (intelligent : The 'price' can make good or bad assumptions value of the intrinsec value of the product)
-Industry is dynamicly simulated, no abstract bonus/malus system : each industrial unit for each type of production is managed as a society, it can be compared to the Victoria 2 and x3 factory but in a more complex way .
-Demography with growth based on mortality (which is based on a lot of factors) and natality (lot of factors too). in fact theres is usually more than one population in a colony (diferent race, ethnic group). Population have a lot of variables related to political opinions , age, education, health, privilege ect...
-Fully personalizable ship (2d tile based editor) , with personnalizable/standard components (comparable to Shore of Hazeron). Just like in aurora or kerbal space program , everything affect everything . I had quite some fun desining ships with todays propulsion technology .
-Crew is not yet really implemented , but you will likely see a dwarvish kind of crew (a bit less anarchic , but still stupid).
-Politics : not really implemented, it will be similar to vicoria 2 with parties, factions , reforms laws ect...);

(what i am doing currently)
-Making an generator that builds ground super structures of 300 meters high , 300 meters deep , in a square of 300m*300m, it is currently working well , and it is ... HUGE, it generates residences commerciale areas , and generates peoples and assign a house to them. each person is unique, has traits, shedule ect... Each person use no more than 40 octet (currently pre-sheduled path-finding will increase that a bit) so generating the 50.000-60.000 persons  that a 'Bloc' is intented to hold isn't a problem.
Shops (and later public sector and industry) employ peoples based on their instruction level.

(I almost forgot)
-the game uses newtonian mecanics , for now it possible to make hohmann transfer.
-the game is pausable real-time like in most paradox grand strategy games (HOI, crusader kings ect...).

The game will be a hybrid of a rpg and a 4x, you will not be the usual super dictator at the start of the game, you will start as a tiny person released in a huge, dangerous and cynical world . 

Sorry if i botched up my post, i'd love to expose you the project in every details, and I intend to regularly edit this post.

PS: Currently making screenshots of the game so you actually see something  ;D

Updated 29/11/2013

This is a 100X100 light-year flatten cube with a star density of 0.003 AL^3 .
Note that 80-90% of the stars are orange-red  , for now it appears to you  that every star are red. It because i didn't make any visual work to make cold star dimmer and hot star brighter. The generation is surprisingly fast (about 1-2 sec on my 2.2ghz processor).
You can click on any of the star shown leading you to the system map. (the green star (top-left) is the solar system).

The system map
Everything work in respect of newtonian law , but for performance and gameplay , all planets orbits are accuratly pre-calculate once, because i decrease the accuracy of newtonian calculation as increment goes up. That ways everything is very fast and accurate and planets and asteroids have nice and fluid movements. I pushed that to extreme speed (50 years/sec) and everything is ok.
 [/url][/img]

Before i was using a sub-library called sfgui which give easy tool to make interface, infortunaly i found later that sfgui didnt meet my need and was slowing down my program, so i have deleted EVERYTHING i have done for the ui to make my own later.
Here is a very old version of the program i just found, it shows the industry panel of the province, others menu for demography and politic are not worth showing :

This is the spaceship editor
saving/loading , and some other useful shortcut are implemented (like copying current level to below).
(the grey square is the player i used to test collision).
Components and their interactions are partially implemented.

This is the template from wich a bloc level is generated ( There is another secondary file that is used for wall and door).

The bloc in-game , with some household generated

GeneJack:
Look forward to hearing more.

Alfapiomega:
This seems interesting if only as an experiment!

Geoffroypi:
Thanks for your interest. :)
Added some sreenshots to the first post .

If anyone is willing to design template level for the bloc  i would gladly accept their help, you do not need any drawing, programming skill, just to respect color and placement rules so the program can read it. 

joeclark77:
Very interesting macro-micro design there! How're you going to manage performance when lots of colonies and fleets are moving and shaking? Maybe colonies will "sleep" until somebody looks at them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version