Author Topic: Deep Space Tracking strength and GPS  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Deep Space Tracking strength and GPS
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
Hi,

I'm a bit fuzzy on these concepts. If I have a DPT station of strength 750, it is 750 against thermal or grav, or both? And if I have an enemy ship using its active sensor, generating a GPS of 4500, it means that I'll detect it at a distance of 4500 x 750 x whatever_coefficient_shouldd_apply, right (i.e range is purely proportional to  both signature and sensor strength)

also, is

Active sensor emission = EM emission = GPS ?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Deep Space Tracking strength and GPS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:44 AM »
Your DPT strength is used equally against thermal and EM signatures. You are able to detect thermal and EM signatures at a range equal to:

Signature strength x Senor strength x 1000 km.

So if you have a DPT strength of 750, you would be able to detect a strength-1 signature at 750,000 km, a strength-30 signature at 22.5m kilometers and a strength-1200 signature at 900m kilometers.

The GPS (gravitational pulse strength) signature of an active sensor is used as the Signature strength in the above formula.

Steve

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:26:40 AM »
ok got it, thanks! GPS is active sensor signature, I missed that.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »
Thinking about it, EM dampening for cloaking technology would be an interesting addition  ;)
DSTs are an awesome way to cover a system, scatter them over every Asteroid you can find!

Offline Tiax

• Leading Rate
  • T
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
Is there any way I can display the range of my Planetary Deep Space Tracking Station on the system map?

Also, is it worth having more than one per planet?

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
Yes to both.  On the system display map there is an option to show passive sensor ranges.  It is under the sensor tab, and you need to put in what you think the strength of signal will be that you are attempting to see.

As far as having more than one dst on a planet they do add, just not a straight addition.  The 1 sensor is full strength, the rest add 1/2 their value.  At one point there was a discussion about having the additional dst's add a progresivily smaller amount (1/2 the previous one's strength) and if that ever is implemented then there is a practical limit for how many make a difference.  It will still be at least 5 before diminishing returns kicks in.

Brian