Author Topic: Time Warp attack by aliens!  (Read 1544 times)

Offline mckamx (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • m
Time Warp attack by aliens!
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:49:12 PM »
I am a noob, playing my first campaign.

One of my GeoSurvey ships (unarmed) has encountered an (apparently) unarmed ship belonging to an advanced hostile alien race.    Apparently this is an advanced machine intelligence, because they have managed to slow my quite powerful computer to running at slower than real time!

What I think is happening is that the alien wants to attack my ship, but can't.    However, the desire for battle is causing a system interrupt every 60 seconds.   Currently, turns are taking about 75 seconds to complete.   Since my GeoSurvey ship is about 2 days from the nearest jump point, it looks like it will take about 54 hours of (real) run time before I can break contact and speed the game back up.   I have thought about abandoning the ship, but I would really rather not.    I looked for a way to damage my own sensors (if I couldn't see the alien, maybe the interrupts would decrease), but found that I don't have any sensors except for the GeoSurvey sensors on the ship.

Does anyone know of a way to defeat these time-warping aliens?

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Re: Time Warp attack by aliens!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Hmmm. That doesn't sound like the alien ship that you see is causing it.
It sounds like a couple of NPRs are 'mixing it up' off camera. You apparently
have a fight going on betwwen two NPRs. There's a setting you can check by
the time keys on the system map, on the right side. Can't remember what it's
called, but it stops any interrupts not related to you.

Eric

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
Quote from: Starkiller link=topic=3221.   msg30968#msg30968 date=1297209281
Hmmm.    That doesn't sound like the alien ship that you see is causing it.   
It sounds like a couple of NPRs are 'mixing it up' off camera.    You apparently
have a fight going on betwwen two NPRs.    There's a setting you can check by
the time keys on the system map, on the right side.    Can't remember what it's
called, but it stops any interrupts not related to you.   

Eric

I think what you're thinking of is; System map>Contacts>SM: Spacetime-bubble (shouldn't it be called Space-time bubble?) in this system.

Er, whoops, no.  You meant Automated turns.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:43:35 PM by Tarran »

Offline mckamx (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:51 PM »
I decided if the aliens were going to fight dirty, turnabout would be fair play.    I abondoned my ship, used SM mode to gift myself another, then ran my battlefleet in and whacked the alien.    Apparently they are not so tough when there is only one of them, and their weapons aren't working.    First battle I've managed to win.    If there are any others in the system I will find out soon, as I am running my battlefleet in-system. . .

Offline mckamx (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
Noob question time: I found a bunch of E1 engines in some ruins.    Are they good for anthing?   How do you use spare parts that you build or find?   I built a could of jump drives before I figured out how to repair ships at a shipyard, and would like to use them for something.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:47:29 PM »
Noob question time: I found a bunch of E1 engines in some ruins.    Are they good for anthing?   How do you use spare parts that you build or find?   I built a could of jump drives before I figured out how to repair ships at a shipyard, and would like to use them for something.

On the Industry tab of the Economics screen (F2), you should see a Stockpile button near the bottom. Click that and you'll see all the missiles, PDC parts, ship components and fighters in orbit. You can either use the scavenged components in a design of yours, Disassemble (for a chance at some RP), or Scrap (and get some minerals).

As for parts you build, if your design uses them, when you build/refit, the game pulls from the stocks first (reducing the cost) then constructs new.

Offline mckamx (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
Beauty.    Thanks!