Author Topic: Why can't I target the enemy?  (Read 3095 times)

Offline Atlantia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
Why can't I target the enemy?
« on: June 21, 2014, 04:28:21 AM »
All right, I'm genuinely stumped. I'm trying to do some missile combat against some very unfriendly aliens, and for some reason, even though the enemy ships are less than 500k km away, they don't appear as targets for my missile destroyers.

Code: [Select]
Providence class Destroyer    11,400 tons     199 Crew     1173 BP      TCS 228  TH 1200  EM 0
5263 km/s     Armour 1-45     Shields 0-0     Sensors 11/11/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 20
Maint Life 1.12 Years     MSP 193    AFR 346%    IFR 4.8%    1YR 155    5YR 2318    Max Repair 84 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 12 months    Spare Berths 1   
Magazine 560   

200 EP Internal Fusion Drive Mk II (6)    Power 200    Fuel Use 7.07%    Signature 200    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 500,000 Litres    Range 111.7 billion km   (245 days at full power)

CIWS-160 (2x6)    Range 1000 km     TS: 16000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
ASM5 Mk I (4)    Missile Size 5    Rate of Fire 40
Falcon ASM5 Missile Fire Control FC138-R100 Mk I (4)     Range 138.6m km    Resolution 100
Falcon ASM5 Mk II (112)  Speed: 16,000 km/s   End: 132.5m    Range: 127.2m km   WH: 5    Size: 5    TH: 181/108/54

Active Search Sensor MR92-R100 (1)     GPS 8400     Range 92.4m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH1-11 (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-11 (1)     Sensitivity 11     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  11m km

(I just noticed I forgot to add armour, shoot... Ignore that.)

In the same TG, I have a sensor ship that provides extra CIWS support and a DE for AMM support.

Here's the tactical situation. We're so zoomed in that we can't see either the missile defence active sensors or the ship active sensors.

And here's the lack of contacts, with everything else ready to go. Missiles assigned to launchers, which are assigned to FCs.

What am I doing wrong?
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline Miar

• Leading Rate
Re: Why can't I target the enemy?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 04:38:19 AM »
I play this game only shortly so take this like wild guess fron new player, somebody more expirienced will probably come soon. . . . 

But in active search sensor creation, you set minimal resolution.  I guess you have 5000t set on your "Active Search Sensor MR92-R100".  Is there a possibility, that incoming enemy has corvette sized ships which are picked by your passive sensors and are too small for you active sensor?

It is just a guess, sorry if I am wrong. . . . 

Offline Atlantia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:56:20 AM »
From what I've understood, that "Minimum Resolution" is the minimum size of a ship that can be detected at the maximum range of the sensor. Besides, they're well within the range of my anti-missile active sensor.

Offline Miar

• Leading Rate
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 05:12:59 AM »
I don't know if active sensors detect anything under their signature. . . . 

Wikipedia:
Active sensors consist of grav pulse sensors and allow a ship to detect other ships or missiles equal to or above it's stated resolution size within it's stated range. 

Fire Controls are a special type of sensor that direct weapon fire (they do the "aiming" for the weapon).  They do not detect targets themselves. 

I am just suggesting, that there is possibility, that you did not "light up" those targets for your fire control. . . .  But like I said, somebody more experienced should verify that or find other cause of problem. . . . 

Offline Atlantia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:15:45 AM »
Ah, yeah, I was misremembering. My mistake. But shouldn't I be able to target them with my DEs, then? I mean, their minimum resolution is of course 1, whereas the other is 100 (I guess it's conceivable that these ships are under 5000 tons, but considering they're a spoiler race, I doubt it), so I would think I could see them. Hrm...

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 05:28:05 AM »
I can't see the screenshots so apologies if this is a dumb question :). Are your active sensors switched on?

The following users thanked this post: Cristo

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 06:13:31 AM »
If there is no mass shown at the contact details this means the contact is not light up by active sensors. This means one of four things:
1) You're sensors are not switched on (all ships begin with active sensors switched off by default. Passive sensors are always on, which is why you can see the thermal signature of the target)
2) The enemy is outside active sensor range
3) Your sensors do not have proper resolution to detect the target at a given range
4) Your sensors are disrupted because of transit effects.

From what I can see from your screenshot 2) and 3) won't apply. The range is very short, so no matter your resolution you should be able to see him. For that matter, judging by the thermal signature the enemy is pretty large, so your standard anti-ship sensors should be able to detect is through it's entire range.
1) is always an option, especially for new players, but I think what happened here is that your sensors are disrupted because of transit effects. So here's a quick explanation.

After performing a jump, all electronic systems (which means active sensors and fire controls) are disrupted for a random amount of time. If you have performed "standard transit" this can easily last two whole minutes, maybe even a little longer, although I think the longest disruption I observed was about 100 seconds. If you have performed "squadron transit", which requires a jump capable vessel and limits the number of vessels that can move through a jump point to the "maximum squadron jump" property of the jump engine, then you can limit the amount of time your electronics stay disrupted to as little as twenty seconds. But you will always get at least some disruption.

Hope that helps.

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
Um, have you actually turned your active sensors _on_?
Because, if the contacts are in active sensor range, their mass/cross section should be displayed along with the thermal/sensor readings.

Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Atlantia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
My active sensors are indeed on. I thought it might be transit effects, but I wasn't sure because the game still displayed the ranges of the sensors. I guess I just need to wait, even though it's been almost a minute already. Is there any way of telling when transit effects have ended? If not, I think it might be nice to have some indication included in a future update, Steve!

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
Open the Task Group Window.
There will be 2 columns with the delay displayed (I think they replace the maintenance columns)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Atlantia (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 01:19:45 PM »
Of course, that's what sensor delay and fire delay mean. Well, problem solved, thanks for the help!