Author Topic: Random Wrecks  (Read 3840 times)

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Random Wrecks
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »
What can cause a random wreck or four appearing in a system?  This is at a planet that you'd expect an NPR on it but the atmosphere is completely wrong.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Random Wrecks
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
What can cause a random wreck or four appearing in a system?  This is at a planet that you'd expect an NPR on it but the atmosphere is completely wrong.

Is the wreck there as you enter the system or at a later stage?

If it is there on the first time you enter then it is just some 'random' wrecks to add character to the game.

If they appear after you have been and gone from the system then it could be either an standard NPC having a fight, or one of the other 'spoilers', and finding out is part of the fun :)

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:10:38 AM »
As I enter.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:18 PM »
1) Think of every sci-fi movie you've ever seen where they find a random unexplained wreck in deep space.
2) Run.  Run away.  If you can... ;)

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
Precursors are capable of randomly going through jump gates?

Totally screwed, time for a new game!

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »
Precursors are capable of randomly going through jump gates?
I don't think so.  Did they do this in your game?

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:35:14 PM »
Yes, they did do this in my game.  A precurser race I'd been ignoring for quite some time since it was right next to Sol... I found a perfect world in a star system right next to that one so I decided to set up a colony there.  Since I wanted civilians to work it, I set up jump gates....
Next thing I know civvies are getting blown up and Sol is being invaded by precursers.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »
I don't know about Precursors, but Swarm will use gates.  Also, some warp points are generated with gates already on them.  That is actually how my first game ended, the first system I explored had an already existing jump gate on their end, and they just came waltzing through.

Offline shoobs (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:55:35 AM »
It was definately "Precurser" as I SM'd their contact infromation.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
I was able to capture several precursor ships in my current game. Some have jump engines so they can follow your ships through jump point even without jump gate.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
All Spoiler races are capable of using jump engines as well as use/build jumpgates.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 10:27:45 AM »
And the reason we call them "spoiler" races is that we try not to discuss the things they can do in public, so as not to snerk to poor newcomers who don't want to know :)

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread to spoilers - I think it has a little too much out in the open.

John

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
All Spoiler races are capable of using jump engines as well as use/build jumpgates.

They can build jumpgates?  Now that is disconcerting...

Can they probe them down or do they only see them if you lead them there?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
I believe only Invaders and Swarm attempt to find jump points and transit them.  Precursors will only go through them if you were spotted by them going through the JP.

Offline Starfyre

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 05:11:42 PM »
They can build jumpgates?  Now that is disconcerting...

Can they probe them down or do they only see them if you lead them there?

Invaders can.  One of their smaller (heh) classes of ship is nothing but a grav scout.  if you don't chase them down and spot them, they will find all the jumppoints in any system they get into, and their heavier ships will make their way right onto your doorstep.  This is what makes an invader wormhole such a serious problem no matter where it opens on your map. The ships they spawn in that system don't stay in one place once they've scouted their way to your property.  One thing I have found, however, is that they're really bad about moving around if you're on top of killing their constructor ships.  I had one game that had three (!) wormholes open within the span of a year or two in one system just off sol's doorstep, and by the time I finally cleared out the system I had something on the order of half to three quarters of a million tons of dead enemy military shipping lying around the system.  But they never tried to put one warship into sol, despite me blowing up half a dozen gate construction ships that came through the jump point.  I was throwing spoiling attacks into the system regularly trying to thin down their numbers , but they clearly knew the jump point was there and my attempts to thin them out never really met with great success until the very end.  I shouldn't have been able to doorstop a major offensive just with a couple obselete laser corvettes picketing the JP.

I've never seen swarm scan down and transit JPs, though I've heard stories of how bad it can get when they do decide to do so on their own.