Author Topic: Learning from EE's mistakes  (Read 6043 times)

Offline Havan_IronOak (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Learning from EE's mistakes
« on: March 01, 2016, 10:16:59 AM »
Enter Elysium recently did a Let's Play on You-tube in which he had several spectacularly unsuccessful battles.  I've been watching and trying to plan ahead for my battles but I'd love to hear what a more experienced hand has to say.

I'm currently watching episode 35
index=35&list=PLR5ZBfGW6e1lqlihsRNeIPTcWLXJD0aaV

at the 14:00 minute mark EE is complaining that he can't target his fighter bombers at the incoming enemy ships. I'm not sure why either. Can someone who's more knowledgeable take a look and tell me what he's doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:25:52 AM by Havan_IronOak »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Learning from EE's mistakes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
It's very difficult to tell from a quick glance through the video, but the usual reason is that the resolution is higher than the targets size leading to decreased range.

As a side note regarding wanting to use the ships that could target without overkill, he could have reduce the # of missile firing tubes on one ship then used the (Assignments) Copy TG button to copy the weapon assignments to other ships in the TG. Then use the (Multi Targets) Same Loc button to fire at numerous different targets in one barrage.  Alternatively, if the missiles had adequate active sensors, they could find their own new targets after overkilling.

EDIT- Okay, after a bit of squinting and mashing the HD button, it looks like he has a FC62-R60 using the default nomenclature.  I believe that should end up with a 4 million kilometer targeting range or so against a Size 16 target.  It would have worked if he was much, much closer.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 10:36:10 AM by TheDeadlyShoe »

Offline Mastik

• Lieutenant
  • M
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 11:19:02 AM »
My advice is....just play, learn from your mistakes.

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »
Everybody is suddenly making the Aurora letsplays. Hmm...

My advice is....just play, learn from your mistakes.
It's much smarter to learn from others' mistakes.

As for OP, yes, he seems to use R60 fire control against enemies with TCS of 15.

Offline Havan_IronOak (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 05:56:14 PM »

Yep Quill18 started the trend He started around New Years and his 1st installment now has over 150K views.
EnterElysium and Arumba joined in shortly thereafter and they both have a lot of subscribers.

It's interesting to note that EE pretty much got pasted in every battle he fought (or it cost way more than I'm guessing it should have) Quill18 played 30 some episodes without encountering ANY aliens.

CharonJr has a lets play on You-tube as well. While his viewership isn't as high, he's an experienced Aurora player and one can learn a lot watching his vids
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:59:53 PM by Havan_IronOak »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:52:23 AM »
Yes, but trying to learn from a newbie's mistakes in real time is itself a mistake.  Someone doing a letsplay who hasn't played before isn't going to be able to figure out what they're doing wrong very quickly, leading to threads like this one.  Experienced players might find it amusing to watch (sometimes very amusing), but it's not a good way to learn the game.  A better way would be to find one by someone who knows what they're doing, and tilts the video towards new players. 

It's interesting to note that EE pretty much got pasted in every battle he fought (or it cost way more than I'm guessing it should have) Quill18 played 30 some episodes without encountering ANY aliens.
That's pretty typical for first games.  I tell people that they'll probably write off a game or three before they figure out what they're doing, at least if they get impatient with having to deal with the terrible fleet they built.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
I tell people that they'll probably write off a game or three before they figure out what they're doing, at least if they get impatient with having to deal with the terrible fleet they built.

I still write off games :)

The following users thanked this post: ExChairman

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 11:37:56 AM »
I still write off games :)
Start game, go afk of the btain, build first few destroyers lacking missile fire controls.

Restart