Author Topic: Buoys  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
Buoys
« on: February 28, 2016, 07:57:49 PM »
i have tryed to Make some Buoys and I either Miss Installed Or Something But I do not get the Reactor Page or Panel when I change From Missile to Buoy. I am new to the Aurora Game and to the forms so any Help would be Useful 

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
Re: Buoys
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
To make a bouy, just make a missile with a passive sensor (thermal or em) and no engines. The reactor size is calculated for you.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:25:00 AM »
The only tricky bit is that the missile design template automatically will include 1 engine for you.  This you have to set to 0.  After that the design is largely automated.  It is more tricky to get an absolute even number of MSPs for the buoy as there is no easy way to add a sensible system that won't boost your reactor use and it is a lot of fiddle faddle to get the active or passive sensor plus the reactor to come to an even number.

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
Ok dealing with Buoys
Can You service them or is that Out of Line?
or Putting another Buoy?
I would think that if you wanted to Repair & Refuel a Buoy it would be a Bit Less than Putting a Sat, Pop,or Ship there?
May be it is just me and Not wanting to Wast Good Ideas Or Mats in the Game??

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
Ok dealing with Buoys
Can You service them or is that Out of Line?
or Putting another Buoy?
I would think that if you wanted to Repair & Refuel a Buoy it would be a Bit Less than Putting a Sat, Pop,or Ship there?
May be it is just me and Not wanting to Wast Good Ideas Or Mats in the Game??
Buoys either count as "normally functioning" or "completely destroyed". There's no maintenance life on them, and they won't explode on their own if you hadn't added any engines or fuel.
If you want to replace a buoy with more modern tech and don't want sensor clutter, you can self destruct buoys in the same way you can missiles.

The following users thanked this post: Tor Cha

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 06:43:21 PM »
The only tricky bit is that the missile design template automatically will include 1 engine for you.  This you have to set to 0.  After that the design is largely automated.  It is more tricky to get an absolute even number of MSPs for the buoy as there is no easy way to add a sensible system that won't boost your reactor use and it is a lot of fiddle faddle to get the active or passive sensor plus the reactor to come to an even number.

You can add fractional amounts of warhead MSP or maneuver MSP as ballast to offset this.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline Tor Cha (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
Buoys either count as "normally functioning" or "completely destroyed". There's no maintenance life on them, and they won't explode on their own if you hadn't added any engines or fuel.
If you want to replace a buoy with more modern tech and don't want sensor clutter, you can self destruct buoys in the same way you can missiles.
What About When the On Board Fuel runs out?? does that Mean Only the Engine stops running and Not the reactor?

Offline Sheb

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:43:11 AM »
There is no engine on buoys. When they're out of fuel, they self-destruct.

Can buoy be shot down by AMM and PD systems like other missiles?

Offline DaMachinator

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »
Yes. I thought the primary purpose of buoys was as an early warning sensor array without engines or warheads.
The maximum speed of any ship or missile with a given engine technology is the speed of a ship composed only of one engine of that technology with the highest power to weight ratio possible with current technology, and nothing else.

Offline FictionDragon

• Dragon of the highest order.
  • Petty Officer
  • Don't make this dragon.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 07:56:50 AM »
Yes. I thought the primary purpose of buoys was as an early warning sensor array without engines or warheads.
Yes, I think as much aswell. I always leave some on like all of em JPs. Works like a charm.
Dragon be between you and harm in all empty spaces where you must walk.

Offline Havear

• Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 06:24:33 AM »
If I recall  correctly only missiles with a warhead onboard will self-destruct at the end of their endurance. Missiles without it should simply become buoys when they run out, and engine-less missiles are naturally buoys.
Quick note: If you fire a missile at a waypoint, the waypoint counts as the missile's target. Don't try to piggyback mines on a drone carrier missile.