Author Topic: Quick Engine Power Conversions  (Read 1190 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Quick Engine Power Conversions
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:33:26 PM »
Quick Engine Conversions

For Ships

- A 500 Ton (10HS) Fighter can achieve 50,000km/s with 500 EP

Ratios:

- 1 EP worth of engine provides enough power to move 1 Ton at 100km/s

- 10 EP worth of engine provides enough power to move 1 Ton at 1,000km/s

For Missiles:

- Missile Engines require EP equal to six times their Size to achieve 120,000km/s

Ratios:

- 1 EP will drive a Size 1 Missile at 20,000km/s

- 0.1 EP will drive a Size 1 Missile at 2,000km/s

------------------------------------------------------

- 0.5 EP will drive a Size 1 Missile at 10,000km/s

- 0.05 EP will drive a Size 1 Missile at 1,000km/s

- 0.005 EP will drive a Size 1 Missile at 100km/s (Useful for high endurance missiles like probes)

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
Re: Quick Engine Power Conversions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 12:17:24 AM »
i almost posted in a very similar vein yesterday.

i have two drive metrics that i find more useful than those provided by the game.  i include them in the name of a drive, i find it pretty handy in the ship design screen, and to evaluate what i stand to gain by developing a new drive.

specific speed = engine type intrinsic (EP/HS) * the power modifier.  the units are thousands of KPS  it represents the speed the engine would push if there were no other load.  conversely, if you're building a ship with a target speed, (target speed/specific speed) is the fraction of the ships total displacement that has to be drive. 

specific range = 180 divided by the fuel consumption multipliers (from size, power mod, and the efficiency tech).  the units are billions of KM.  a ship almost entirely composed of fuel tanks would achieve a range approaching the specific range stat, and by extension (target range/ specific range) is the fraction of displacement that has to be devoted to fuel tanks. 

a typical commercial MP drive is SS 8.00 SR 2263.  a size 20  125% power military MP drive is SS 20 SR 143.  both at .9 fuel consumption tech.