Author Topic: Multicultural company name generation  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Ulzgoroth (OP)

• Captain
  • U
Multicultural company name generation
« on: May 29, 2020, 04:59:35 PM »
So I tend to wind up with mixed name themes for my races. (Usually because I forgot to set it during creation and decided to leave a trace of the original selection, but now I'm doing it on purpose.)

And I noticed that the company name generator doesn't seem to use the full possibilities there.

The name generator seems to use 1-3 theme-appropriate personal names, with connective bits and sometimes a suffix related to the type of component being designed. But as best I can tell after poking it quite a lot of times, it always draws all the names from a single theme. It would be cool if instead it picked a theme for each name independently, so you could occasionally have a French-Rigellian partnership rather than those French (and everyone else) being completely insular.

Offline Gabethebaldandbold

• last member of the noob swarm
  • Lt. Commander
Re: Multicultural company name generation
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 05:37:57 PM »
As a person who usually uses at least 5 themes in almost every game, I am all for this.
To beam, or not to beam.   That is the question
the answer is you beam. and you better beam hard.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
I am quite sure you can create your own theme but I am not sure if it applies for projects as well. It does to commanders and ships though.

However, I know what you mean and would be nice for the vanilla experience to handle that internally.

Offline Ri0Rdian

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Discord Username: Ri0Rdian#3639
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 06:46:13 PM »
Hah, I feel your pain.

My usual game start involves about 5 mins of adding and removing name themes and adjusting % for names (I get like 12-15 themes). I hate this so I try not to start new games all the time.

The name picking should be tied to the % we can already set, that way we both get proper representation AND a way to alter it as we see fit.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 11:45:38 AM »
Hah, I feel your pain.

My usual game start involves about 5 mins of adding and removing name themes and adjusting % for names (I get like 12-15 themes). I hate this so I try not to start new games all the time.

The name picking should be tied to the % we can already set, that way we both get proper representation AND a way to alter it as we see fit.

You're not clear about which name themes you're having problems with, so I will point out that after you adjust all the name theme percentages for your empire, you can re-do your Commanders to get a whole new set with the chosen themes.

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »
Hah, I feel your pain.

You're not clear about which name themes you're having problems with, so I will point out that after you adjust all the name theme percentages for your empire, you can re-do your Commanders to get a whole new set with the chosen themes.

I truly wasn't aware of that.

In my united Earth games I use American, Chinese, Russian, French, Spanish, German, English, Indian, Protuguese, Japanese, Arabic, Turkish, Italian, Indonesian, Persian, Korean, Kenyan, Zulu, Jewish, Afrikaans names, roughly in this order (there is a distinct lack of african names to choose though).

I guess the way to go about is to pick names, select % and then go to Commanders and hit Auto rename?

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 02:17:59 PM »
there is a distinct lack of African names to choose though

All of the name themes were either compiled by volunteers or easily available on-line.  If you see a gap you are welcome to fill it for your own campaign or share with the community by posting it to:

Aurora 4x »C# Aurora »Development Discussions »Naming Theme Suggestions

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 07:40:38 PM »
If it sounded like complaint I am sorry. It was a statement. Of course I am aware of what you suggest.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 08:34:42 AM »
I did not mean a criticism ;D,  I really would like to have additional names in the themes, I just don't know enough about African names to create one myself. 

I also find it helpful to occasionally remind others (especially newer players, that just lurk) that they can contribute their expertise.  Unlike commercial software or APPS, where you play what is given to you, Aurora gives many opportunities to contribute material (like the ribbon utility, or name lists, etc.

Offline Ri0Rdian

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »
I originally also arrived to the conclusion I do not know anything about african names (I also believe Africa is in very bad spot as general knowledge is concerned). I focused at swahili because that one is by far the biggest I believe. Getting names would be easy, just gotta use one of the many *explains names* webs. But surnames are completely another thing. And doing something I have no idea about just copy and pasting from internet is the best way to make someone angry and me sad  ::)