Author Topic: NPR First Contact Tips / Suggestions  (Read 823 times)

Offline jscott991 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • j
NPR First Contact Tips / Suggestions
« on: November 01, 2023, 09:37:56 PM »
I have contacted an NPR in my current game.

I shockingly established communications with a warship guarding a jump point (my diplomatic ship hadn't even made it to the system).  Does this make my diplomatic ship useless now?  When it caught up to an alien ship, they asked it to leave.

The aliens have told me to vacate an empty system next to what I am sure is their homeworld.  That is fine with me.  However, they keep jumping into one of my systems and running around.

Is there any way to tell them to stop?  Can I claim a system the way they claimed an empty one?

What are the consequences if I blow these (probably) survey ships up?  Is that automatic war or will they get the message and stop coming?

When I played years ago, I seem to remember I could scare them out of the system by activating a fire control, targeting them, but not opening fire (they would jump right back out of the system).  Am I remembering right?

Thanks!

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: NPR First Contact Tips / Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 09:41:45 PM »
I shockingly established communications with a warship guarding a jump point (my diplomatic ship hadn't even made it to the system).  Does this make my diplomatic ship useless now?  When it caught up to an alien ship, they asked it to leave.

Your diplo ship can still communicate with the NPR to try and raise their diplomatic opinion of you. I recommend putting them within contact range in a relatively innocuous system (not their home system or another that is too close).

The aliens have told me to vacate an empty system next to what I am sure is their homeworld.  That is fine with me.  However, they keep jumping into one of my systems and running around.

Is there any way to tell them to stop?  Can I claim a system the way they claimed an empty one?

There is a tab in the Intelligence window where you can set a message to send to the NPR ships in a given system. They may decide to accept or reject, and different messages have more or less dramatic consequences to interplanetary relations if rejected (a suggestion is less provocative than a demand, etc.)

You can set a default message for all newly-encountered NPRs in the Galactic Map, there is an option in one of the tabs to do this.

What are the consequences if I blow these (probably) survey ships up?  Is that automatic war or will they get the message and stop coming?

It will be a fight to the death.

When I played years ago, I seem to remember I could scare them out of the system by activating a fire control, targeting them, but not opening fire (they would jump right back out of the system).  Am I remembering right?

Nope.

The following users thanked this post: jscott991

Offline jscott991 (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • j
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 07:44:47 AM »
These guys are going to force me into war.  They won't acknowledge my claim to a key system that links part of my empire to the rest and now 150k ton ships have arrived in it -- meaning not survey ships.

I'm sure this has all been covered ad nauseum, but if the AI is allowed to demand empty systems of me at the risk of war, they need to recognize my claims in systems where I have actual installations (DSTs, mines).

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 08:10:16 AM »
These guys are going to force me into war.  They won't acknowledge my claim to a key system that links part of my empire to the rest and now 150k ton ships have arrived in it -- meaning not survey ships.

I'm sure this has all been covered ad nauseum, but if the AI is allowed to demand empty systems of me at the risk of war, they need to recognize my claims in systems where I have actual installations (DSTs, mines).

I recommend reading up on the Diplomacy functions in Aurora.

Diplomacy:

This is the full list of rules content
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10666.0

The following users thanked this post: jscott991

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 02:51:07 PM »

This sound shockingly close to how real life works... We demand that you recognize our claim to here but uh we won't recognize your claim to this. Wars have frequently been started over such things.  :)