Author Topic: C# Full Installation v1.00 (updated to 1.13.0)  (Read 270102 times)

Offline Luftwolfe

• Leading Rate
Re: C# Full Installation v1.00 (updated to 1.5.1)
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2020, 05:47:26 PM »
Since Endless Sky is open source I'm pretty sure use of the images from it fall under fair use. . .

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2020, 06:01:05 PM »
Since Endless Sky is open source I'm pretty sure use of the images from it fall under fair use. . .

Most open source projects take their license very seriously so I don’t begrudge them from wanting others to abide by the terms.  In this particular case, since the images are CC-BY-SA, they are clearly free for Steve to use and modify any way he likes as long as he attributes the author, which seems to be the only actual breach in this instance.

Edit to add Steve would also have to provide a link to the cc-by-sa license, but wouldn’t need to actually include the text of said license.

Edit 2: I had some language on my personal take on this situation that some could consider inflammatory.  That was not my intent and I apologize.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 04:58:15 PM by mtm84 »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2020, 06:47:10 PM »
The notice didn't seem heavy handed to me. It was polite and honest, except it would have been more appropriate to make the notice through a private message or email to teh developer, however I have seen many instances where this kind of contact is made by an ip owner, developer, etc through a forum, its not unheard of.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline codyo

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • c
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »
For those returning to the game after a long time or those just finding out about it.  Could we get a broad summary of the features? Like what there is to look forward to before you play?

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »
For those returning to the game after a long time or those just finding out about it.  Could we get a broad summary of the features? Like what there is to look forward to before you play?

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10666.0

Offline SultanPepper

• Petty Officer
  • S
« Reply #110 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:14 AM »

If you've never played before, Aurora is a massive sandbox game of spreadsheets and micromanagement. It can be a hassle to do things and a pain to play, but if you perservere you will find an extremely well-designed, fleshed-out Space Empire simulator the likes of which has never been seen. You may spend an hour designing and building a fuel harvesting station to put in orbit of an alien gas giant, then realise you forgot to build tugs so the damn thing is going nowhere. Or build an intricate themed army of heavy vehicles and anti-air infantry, backed up by a powerful laser-bombardment cruiser, but forget to turn off the damn fuel refineries so now you have no sorium and OH GOD NOTHING IS BEING BUILT.

An amazing game.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2020, 02:12:18 AM »
I think the solution Steve took is the best: Remove the pictures. Because, if he would add the CC-BY-SA License to Aurora, people would quickly draw the conclusion that this is valid for the whole release. And some #reddits eventually hope this happens so they "legally" can start modifying the source code... just a thought. Was wondering why "they were informed"...  ;)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2020, 03:21:32 AM »
I think the solution Steve took is the best: Remove the pictures. Because, if he would add the CC-BY-SA License to Aurora, people would quickly draw the conclusion that this is valid for the whole release. And some #reddits eventually hope this happens so they "legally" can start modifying the source code... just a thought. Was wondering why "they were informed"...  ;)

Yes, the timing and public nature of the request seemed a little coincidental, but it was useful in prompting me to add a note about the images.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2020, 03:40:50 AM »

Now imagine Stellaris to be the game you always wanted to be with. Imagine a perfect Space Empires 5 diplomacy and galaxy design, the beautiful feeling of Distant World Universe when you start expanding your trade routes and a little pinch of the first Endless Space. Imagine everything feeling real, alive and you have control over all of it.

Imagine, now you can.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2020, 03:50:59 AM »

Yes, the timing and public nature of the request seemed a little coincidental, but it was useful in prompting me to add a note about the images.

You could always do what SI does with football manager mate. Leave the graphics as packs and leave them to the users to create. They can upload and then the people can just install if they want. I mean look at the ribbon app, the new graphics, I also remember the nice planet pack of VB6 for instance. You can leave the blank icons (like they do with the players) so we know what to put where and it's done: No more BS. I understand copyright but it just doesn't make sense for what you do. I mean the poor fella is here harassing for a picture when with all due the respect I bet he just cannot figure out why he cannot produce a decent game like yours with 10 times the people and resources.

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT

Offline hadi

• Aurora blind player
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • h
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2020, 07:30:22 AM »
So that they could have a reason to continue with their nonsense toxicity. Glad that Steve dealt with it very quick.
At this point, I was suspecting demonic intervention.
-Steve

The following users thanked this post: TMaekler

Offline MCOfficer

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »
So that they could have a reason to continue with their nonsense toxicity.    Glad that Steve dealt with it very quick.   

Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=10635.   msg124381#msg124381 date=1587113459
You could always do what SI does with football manager mate.    Leave the graphics as packs and leave them to the users to create.   They can upload and then the people can just install if they want.   I mean look at the ribbon app, the new graphics, I also remember the nice planet pack of VB6 for instance.   You can leave the blank icons (like they do with the players) so we know what to put where and it's done: No more BS.   I understand copyright but it just doesn't make sense for what you do.   I mean the poor fella is here harassing for a picture when with all due the respect I bet he just cannot figure out why he cannot produce a decent game like yours with 10 times the people and resources. 

Mate.  .  .   you'd be surprised how similar ES and Aurora are.   Both are made by people who make tremendous efforts just to bring joy to their players.   That excludes me, btw, if you had bothered to look it up you would've noticed that I'm but a small contributor.   I have immense respect for such people, that's why it really bothers me when their work is "stolen".   Imagine if someone distributed parts of Aurora under their name without attribution, I'm sure you'd feel just a little bit offended.   

And calling this harassment or toxic is a pretty heavy-handed.   I gave Steve the benefit of the doubt and made a polite request, and was proven right when he reacted in exactly the right way.    Go figure.   

Quote from: TMaekler link=topic=10635.   msg124357#msg124357 date=1587107538
I think the solution Steve took is the best: Remove the pictures.   Because, if he would add the CC-BY-SA License to Aurora, people would quickly draw the conclusion that this is valid for the whole release.    And some #reddits eventually hope this happens so they "legally" can start modifying the source code.  .  .   just a thought.   Was wondering why "they were informed".  .  .    ;)

An Aurora player noticed and mentioned it on our discord, and I decided to take a look.   Not gonna call out names because apparently there are people who think of this as toxicity. 

Edited for clarity. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 01:04:29 PM by MCOfficer »

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2020, 01:05:42 PM »
You could always do what SI does with football manager mate. Leave the graphics as packs and leave them to the users to create. They can upload and then the people can just install if they want. I mean look at the ribbon app, the new graphics, I also remember the nice planet pack of VB6 for instance. You can leave the blank icons (like they do with the players) so we know what to put where and it's done: No more BS. I understand copyright but it just doesn't make sense for what you do. I mean the poor fella is here harassing for a picture when with all due the respect I bet he just cannot figure out why he cannot produce a decent game like yours with 10 times the people and resources.

I checked and that is exactly what SI does. What is the benefit of having separate packs? If I simply take the images files out of the game download and make them a separate available download, does that remove any issue with copyright because they are not directly part of the game?

Offline DFNewb

• Captain
  • D
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »

I checked and that is exactly what SI does. What is the benefit of having separate packs? If I simply take the images files out of the game download and make them a separate available download, does that remove any issue with copyright because they are not directly part of the game?

I think the idea is that the packs will be made by players and not you so you don't get any responsibility (or legal problems) for what graphics we decide to use with our campaigns.

The following users thanked this post: smoelf, stabliser

Offline surprise

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10635. msg124635#msg124635 date=1587146742
Quote from: froggiest1982 link=topic=10635. msg124381#msg124381 date=1587113459
You could always do what SI does with football manager mate.  Leave the graphics as packs and leave them to the users to create.  They can upload and then the people can just install if they want.  I mean look at the ribbon app, the new graphics, I also remember the nice planet pack of VB6 for instance.  You can leave the blank icons (like they do with the players) so we know what to put where and it's done: No more BS.  I understand copyright but it just doesn't make sense for what you do.  I mean the poor fella is here harassing for a picture when with all due the respect I bet he just cannot figure out why he cannot produce a decent game like yours with 10 times the people and resources.

I think one benefit is that what you distribute can be easily pared down to respect copyright requests, and can include the “none of the art is mine. . . ” text file discussed earlier.

The big advantage is that it lets users match the expected format and distribute their own image packs independently of you, so that you aren’t responsible for maintaining what could theoretically be a huge set of images (as FM face packs usually are :) ).
I checked and that is exactly what SI does.  What is the benefit of having separate packs? If I simply take the images files out of the game download and make them a separate available download, does that remove any issue with copyright because they are not directly part of the game?