Author Topic: Ground units disappear on map but not in HQ list?  (Read 1782 times)

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is your captain speaking
Ground units disappear on map but not in HQ list?
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
My construction engineers ran into some robots. After an epic fight they lost the planet, just a few days before the reinforcement division arrived. So I recolonized the planet (right-clicking the planet on the system map) and put down my division anyway.

In doing this my reinforcement division just disappeared without a word (two mobile infantry and two garrisons and a brigade HQ). There are no ground units on the planet now, there are no one aboard the troop transport anymore, wtf?

Note, I did NOT attack, first my constructors lost the planet in a regular defensive fight, they were heroically overwhelmed, and the population died with them. Then my reinforcements landed on the newly re-colonized (and now unpopulated) planet using the "unload all ground units" command from the troop transport (technically an attack, I guess, but I already lost the population, so this is not the old attack-robots-and-and loose-your-whole-population-bug). Okay, I probably should have used a special combat drop module instead of my old troop transport bays. But I fear this would not have helped, as I believe this is not the real problem/bug, which is:

When I go back to Earth and try to rearrange my other units, it seems as if the dead units are not lost, as their headquarters still appear on the "Assign parent HQ" list. ?!?

Should I report this as a bug, or am I doing something horribly wrong?

What is the correct way to invade an enemy with ground troops? I don't want to bombard from space.

update: I found my troops! Looking in the top left pull-down on the Ground Unit window, I found them in the "All ground forces" department. They were listed as belonging to said planet, but, as mentioned, they were invisible in the ground units tab. So I used the "Transfer Ground Unit to PDC or Population" (bottom right) and transferred my troops back from limbo. So my immediate problem is solved. I wonder what happened?

update2: My new troops got a bloody nose, so I decided to nuke the aliens from space. They are all dead now. Then some new weirdness appeared: Suddenly I had two entries on the same planet in the pop. and prod. window, one listed under populated systems (although nobody lived there, not even aliens, only my new un-limboed troops), and the other under automated mining colonies. The so-called populated one was empty of everything except troops, while the other one had the automines and infrastructure and stuff that was there before all this happened. So I loaded the troops onboard my transport and abandoned the now empty version of the planet.

Is this wad?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 11:51:41 AM by vonduus »

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Ground units disappear on map but not in HQ list?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 11:35:43 PM »
I think it´s WAD (more or less).

What happens is, you lost your colony to the alien robots and Aurora converts the colony to a Robot-Colony.
Once you take that colony back, you have now two colonies, one is your own with your troops in it, the second is the captured robot colony. As each race has different requirements re. habilitation, colonies for different races are tracked individually.

The iffy part is that the robots captured the colony, and thus it should have been treated as a conquered colony from your race, not converted to a genuine Robot-Colony.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:31:46 AM »
Oh, so that's what happened. I cannot say I really understand the rules for populations, one of these days I will try out a multi-player empire, I guess it is the only way to really find out.

Is there a good manual/walkthrough/discussion thread about multi-start positions?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »

The iffy part is that the robots captured the colony, and thus it should have been treated as a conquered colony from your race, not converted to a genuine Robot-Colony.

The colony was assimilated and all his base are theirs. To paraphrase.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »
Is there a good manual/walkthrough/discussion thread about multi-start positions?

The wiki have some good information here:

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Create_a_custom_race
http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=SpaceMaster_Mode

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »
The colony was assimilated and all his base are theirs. To paraphrase.

Oh Erik

*sad shaking of head*
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »

Oh Erik

*sad shaking of head*

It had to be said... And I couldn't let anyone else take it ;)

Offline vonduus (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:26:33 PM »
lol  :)