Author Topic: *Real* Colony Ships  (Read 2770 times)

Offline S.K. Ren (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • S
*Real* Colony Ships
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:18:21 PM »
I haven't been able to find a topic for this so here it is. I realize we have 'Colony Ships' already but they should be more appropriately called Cryogenic Migration Ships. When I hear Colony Ship I imagine a space station with a large infrastructure that can support millions of people and expand. It can also serve as a tanker, collier and maintenance dock

My suggestion is to add a class type (Ship, PDC, etc.) called Space Station or Colony Ship. Once created it acts like a colony like on a planet but can move; After one of these is built and leaves the planet, it can no longer dock with a planet and is treated like its own body type. Obviously you couldn't build mines but everything else should be available and add to the size of the ship. Their size should be equal to half of how man cargo holds it would take to transport it normally.

Default load outs should include:
    Bridge x1
    Crew Quarters x1
    Fuel Storage x1
    Maintenance Facilities x1

Cargo Space x100

Infrastructure x100 (not necessarily shown on the class screen but required as a material and the base amount present for the station)
    [/list]
    I would also like to suggest a few more research options:
      -Construction: Independent Climate System/ Effect: Enables Space Stations/Colony Ships to be built. Prerequisite: Terraforming Module.
      -Logistics: Star Dock/ Effect: Allows one additional ship to be stationed at the colony and resupply/refuel/repair itself at a time. 50k Ton max. per ship
      -Logistics: Docking Rail/ Effect: Allows one additional ship to be stationed at the colony and resupply/refuel/repair itself at a time. No Tonnage limit, but it increases the time to load the ship by x10
      -Logistics: Munitions Hold/ Effect: Missile Capacity +1000 points. Only available to Colony Ships/Space Station.
      [/list]

As well design type (Projects, Missiles, Turrets, etc.):
        -Centrifugal Gravity Generator: It would affect the gravity rating of the colony.
        Research options affecting this would be
          -Power Plant Types
          -Fuel Efficiency
          -Internal Armor
        Two fields you would need to enter info in would be the desired gravity rating and the weight of the station. Depending on the tech options chosen earlier, it would determine the size of the Gravity Generator needed to maintain the specified gravity on the station.
        [/list]

Should the station grow beyond the supported weight of the gravity generator, the gravity will be equal to: Desired Gravity Rating*[(Supported Weight/Ship Weight)^2]
        You can have more than one generator, with the supported weights being additive. The Gravity Ratings will be averaged.

I realize this is an immense suggestion and would take some time to implement if acted apon. This is just my opinion on how it should work out. Also, if this by chance is in the works, what version would we be most likely to see it in?

On a side note, I have a suggestion about beam weapons and the atmosphere. Rather than directly reducing damage, why don't you apply a range penalty to the weapon's damage calculation instead. Atm >=1;Range 1/10000. 0.5<Atm<1; Range 1/1000. etc. So if a weapon's target is in an atmosphere or is being fired from one, it acts as though its range is ridiculously short thus hitting the damage drop off sooner, but still allowing them to be used in PDCs.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
        Re: *Real* Colony Ships
        « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:08:13 AM »
        As mentioned by sloanjh, if you want Steve to consider this/ remember that he discussed this, please post it in the current suggestions thread. The thread is Steve's filing cabinet for new suggestions; ditto for bugs.
        Welchbloke

Offline MoonDragon

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
        • M
        « Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:31:21 PM »
        An interesting idea Ren. Do you envision these "ships" driving around or being driveless? Would they need to orbit, or could they free float in the solar system? Could they have mass drivers?
        (@)

Offline S.K. Ren (OP)

• Leading Rate
        • S
        « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »
        They would have drives and could move albeit very slowly depending on how large you build a particular ship. Unless Steve feels like coding a way for the game to see if a 'ship' is to big before it will be unable to orbit without crashing, orbits probably wont be an option. They are meant to be -in essence- a mobile planet/colony which the player builds. You can have a super fortress or a fleet of colony ships to house your people and you would have to transport people between them as if they were their own planet.

While I don't see everyone using it, one thing I can see being popular is building a 'Ship' and putting it in a system that only has asteroids and strip mining it. Then you could just dock you mining vessels and head to the nearest jump gate. Or building a Star Fleet base in a system with no planets at all. Better yet, say one of your listening posts detects an enemy fleet heading to one of your main worlds and you don't have enough ships to stop them. If you were based out of a 'Colony Ship', you could just flee the system without losing one of your bases.

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
        « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
        This would also allow you to set up Waystations at jump points, which would serve as transport nodes for interstellar mineral transport, mass driver mined minerals to a waystation, have a freighter stationed there auto-shipping minerals from that station to another waystation on the other side of the JG, have that station driver it to the next one, repeat as needed.
        This would also allow mobile populations to go with nomad empires. And, of course, JP defense stations.
        Although it might be hard to implement, it would be very nice to see.

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
        « Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »
        -Double post, sorry.-
        « Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:02:19 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
        « Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:18:54 PM »
        Quote from: "Aldaris"
        This would also allow you to set up Waystations at jump points, which would serve as transport nodes for interstellar mineral transport, mass driver mined minerals to a waystation, have a freighter stationed there auto-shipping minerals from that station to another waystation on the other side of the JG, have that station driver it to the next one, repeat as needed.
        This would also allow mobile populations to go with nomad empires. And, of course, JP defense stations.
        Although it might be hard to implement, it would be very nice to see.

All these things (except being a target/location of mass drivers) are currently possible with 'ships'.  In fact, the only thing a ship can't do is have research, officer/ground unit training, construction (industrial, ordinance, or small craft), or shipbuilding while aboard, or mining, refining or maintenance while on the move.  But everything (save officer & ground unit training, I think) can be hauled along with enough cargo space, and set down on a handy rock to work for a while.

Offline Aldaris

• Sub-Lieutenant
        « Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:30 AM »
        Yes, but most activities like research and stuff need to have the population on the planet, which for things like research and shipbuilding needs ludicrous amounts of poeople and thus infrastructure.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
          • http://www.assistsolar.com
        « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »
        Quote from: "Aldaris"
        Yes, but most activities like research and stuff need to have the population on the planet, which for things like research and shipbuilding needs ludicrous amounts of poeople and thus infrastructure.

Steve and I have discussed this on more than one occasion as I am a big proponent of space colonies.  It is currently on his "maybe do" list, I think.

At least he doesn't seem to be dead set against it any more.

Offline S.K. Ren (OP)

• Leading Rate
        • S
        « Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 03:31:18 PM »
        Then I don't see the problem. One of the main points of my suggestion is it counts as a colony/orbital body. You wouldn't use maintenance modules, but rather it would be as if you had docked at a planet.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
        « Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:41 PM »
        Quote from: "sloanjh"
        You can set a waypoint in the F3 screen.  That's not the issue, though - maintenance modules on ships only work if you're in orbit of a "colony" (which can be empty except for minerals, IIRC).

John, the intent of the hab modules is to turn the ship/station into a population/colony.

This gets more fun when you start sticking asteroid miner and factory modules into it.

Offline Maximillian

• Petty Officer
        • M
        « Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »
        So we're talking about something on the lines of "retool shipyard to build Dahak"?

I'm all for it!  :)

I guess it would be a bit more like one of the Culture's General Service Vehicles, but that's cool too.

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
        « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:30:55 PM »
        Quote from: "Maximillian"
        So we're talking about something on the lines of "retool shipyard to build Dahak"?

I guess it would be a bit more like one of the Culture's General Service Vehicles, but that's cool too.

Actually, I was thinking more like an O'Neil station (a cylinder spun to simulate gravity).

We can build them now but it would have to be made using TN materials if you didn't want it to shred any time you try to move it at more than a crawl.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
        « Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
        Quote from: "Maximillian"

Welchbloke

Offline Maximillian

• Petty Officer
        • M
        « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:55 PM »
        That's it, now I'm going to have to build the Planetary Bombardment Cruiser "Frank Exchange Of Views"!

You're right though, both the Culture and Dahak would be a bit over the top.  Maybe I'll settle for using a name theme stolen from the Lensman books.