Author Topic: Post 3  (Read 1967 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Post 3
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:24:14 AM »
OSUMA

Osuma knocked twice on the large oak door, it was not too long before the door opened a tiny manservant inquired to his purpose. Osuma gave a brief exchange of pleasantries as well as his name. The manservant’s eyes gave a glint of recognition and invited Osuma in, guiding him through the large mansion. They past many a stately room, each of which Osuma snuck glances into and marvelled at the opulence. The manservant guided Osuma to a set of double doors with intricate designs carved into the doors, the man servant open both doors wide, revealing a library or sitting room of some sorts. It reminded Osuma of various Gentleman clubs that modelled themselves on western designs of the 18th and 19th century.  Osuma spied four men sitting on large leather chairs, relaxed and enjoying themselves in conversation.

The man servant after clearing his throat politely to engage the gentlemen in the room, announced in a clear and distinguished voice that Mr Yuki had arrived. The manservant stepped aside from the middle of the doorway, allowing Osuma to enter the room.

“Oh Mr Yuki Osuma, I am glad you could come” an old man in his late 70’s spoke as he rose from one of the leather chairs. Osuma noted he rose quiet spritely and seemed to be a man in good health. “My name is Dr Hiro Akira, and welcome to my home” the doctor approached Osuma and offered his hand in friend ship and guided Osuma over the three other men who were now standing and turned in Osuma direction. Osuma could sense, each were appraising his outwardly appearance. Osuma caught out of the corner of his eye, the manservant had gathered both door knobs and closed the doors, as he ushered himself out of the room.

“Please let me introduce,  Mr Yokosake Nori, Mr Charles Whitley and  Councillor Tataki Musi”, each of the three men shook Osuma hand, all seemed pleasant happy he meet him. Osuma looked a the four men, apart from the councillor whose face and name was vaguely familiar the three other men he had never rang no bells in his memory banks.
The doctor waved at a couple of empty seats, “Please make yourself comfortable” Osuma sat in the chair facing the door he entered, it was an old habit he had developed. Osuma thought if he could visibly see the single entry point, he would have a small window of opportunity over life or death. As strange as it sounded, he thought this way as a child although he had no reason to be fearful or been in any sort of really dangerous trouble but it had become one of his small idiosyncrasies.

Osuma crossed his legs and settled into the comfortable leather chair, he quickly suppress a smile as he thought he could get very used to this way of living. He quickly dismissed the fantasy whatever these men wanted, it was not to deliver the news he was the long lost heir to a fortune.

The men quickly reseat themselves, as Dr Hiro walked over to small mahogany bar. Dr Hiro inquired “Can I interest you in a drink?” although he had already taken a fine crystal glass from a shelf hidden behind the counter and placed it on the bar. Osuma thought it impolite to refuse, he was secretly happy to indulge.

“Yes, scotch on the rocks?” Osuma speech hinted that it was more a question then a statement. Dr Hiro quickly answered his question as brought out a fine bottle of Johnny Walker, something that Osuma had only heard existed, but never tasted. The maker of this fine scotch had closed down long ago and the existing bottle on the market could not be bought cheaply.

Dr Hiro poured a small portion into the glass and started to speak “I knew your father well”, the doctor certainly knew how gain Osuma attention and curiosity. Osuma expression of mild surprise gave the doctor the slightest hint of an amused smile. “We were actually good friends, and I have met you also on a few occasions, although I hardly expect you to remember, you were very young. I met your father at the fleet academy. Your father as you know was becoming a fleet officer and I had a grant for macro biology with the Fleet.” The doctor paused as he located a pair of metal tongs carefully removed a number of ice cubes from an ice bucket, that remember more a piece of art then a functional container, and proceed to place them into the glass. “Your father and I shared a passion for two things, fine scotch, which I see you have also developed”, if it was appropriate for a man to blush, Osuma would have “and politics.” The doctor’s comment about the scotch was his small secret, it had allowed him to keep his father memory alive. Many a night he would witness his father sitting in his favourite chair sipping scotch while listening to music. Osuma teases his father on his taste of music, which Osuma referred to as ‘old Japanese forest music’, but he did also enjoy the rhythmic melody from the traditional Japanese instruments.

The doctor handed Osuma the glass which he gratefully accepted, the doctor paused and looked curiously at Osuma “did you know you father politics?” Osuma felt this question was poignant and his answer would then set the tone for the rest of the discussion, almost like a secret password.

Osuma’s father was a traditionalist, he believe that the old ways andnot the ways of the 20th or 21st century. The era of the shogunate is where his heart and mind laid, his belief was this was the period where the Japanese people thrived. It was the period where people knew what was expected of them, and their lives were bound in duty and honour.
Osuma thumbed the rim of his glass and said rather plainly without hinting his own position “Yes father was of the old ways. He felt if we were to succeed on New Osaka and into the future we need to return to the old ways. He would of wished the reintroduction of the caste system and put the rightful leadership back into hand of strong men, not the” Osuma struggled to think back on his father words, “ the show ponies of democracy and the corruption of values that has followed.”

Several of the other men grunted with approval, nodding their heads heartily. Osuma noted even Charles Whitley, who would be far from what you would term as Japanese, was also so passionate from his comment. Osuma understood where these men politics now laid, but apart from his father involvement he was no closer to knowing why he was requested to this meeting.

The doctor had resume his seat and was relaxing with a glass in his hand “And what is your thoughts on all that?” his voice was not threaten or questioning to Osuma, but a man who was searching the truth. The doctor looked like the man who could tell from even the slightest hint of bodily language a fraud.

Osuma bit his bottom lip in contemplation and raised a his hand to his mouth as his thumb stroked his chin. A moment passed and Osuma began to speak “ Well, I have similar thoughts to my father, although I could only differ in one area, I do not believe retainers should have blind obedience. Duty is first to the collective people and then to their superiors. I believe the devotion to one’s duties, honour and observation to the laws, comes before any personal desires or pleasure” he paused slightly to review his audience, but Osuma could not gauge the reception of his delivery. “ But for inferiors to truly achieve their potential, a superior must consider themselves servants” The other men were shocked at his last statement and seemed ready to reproach Osuma as if insulted each one personally. The doctor however had not moved and was absorbing Osuma words, he slowly nodded his head perhaps not in agreement but in understanding. The doctor quietly asked for the benefit of the other men a question “ What do you mean?”

Osuma thought careful how to explain his position without offending, but also highlight his thoughts.

“A shogun should be a servant to his people, his orders are unquestionable and without flaw, his actions and commands should be in purist spirit. The welfare of the people and that of the individual must be careful weighed and balanced. His decisions should not include his own personal glory or satisfaction but made to benefit his subjects. On occasion tough decisions must be made to sacrifice the few to fulfil the greater need, but there also needs to be a gentleness and to avoidance to any unwarranted punishment. If this is my belief for the Shogun then his subordinates should be held to no less a principle”.

The doctor smiled “Very well articulated young man, you definitely have your father spark when talking about politics” the other gentleman reacted with the doctor’s smile with nods of approval, whether they grasp what he was saying he was hard to tell, but they seem to look to the doctor for the final decision.

Charles Whitely seemed to take the doctor’s smile as a trigger for his small part to play in this conversation, he leaned forward and held his glass between his unfolded legs, he spoke as if he had something important and  secret  to say. “We have a proposition for you Osuma. We belong to a small select society of men called the Lotus Blossum, have you hear of us” he spoke in hushed tones. Osuma shook his slightly to signal he had not, Charles then continued “Good, because more than likely they would be rumours nowhere near the truth surrounding our purpose and goals. The society wishes to bring back the old ways, the way Japan was before it lost its path. The era of the samurai, duty, honour and loyalty without question” It was strange listening to this white man proclaim going back to the old ways, where was his bloodline heritage from old Japan, were his ancestors great lords or Japan, Osuma doubted it. But one thing Osuma did not doubt was this man passion and dedication to it, the fire did not resonate in his words but the fire in his eyes was undeniable.

The doctor sensing Osuma intrigue surrounding Whitely, used it as an opportunity to interrupt “ you may wonder how and why Mr whitely whose  obvious hereditary is not from Nipon, has such passion, allow me to explain.’ Charles took the opportunity to lean back in his chair, and take a small sip from his glass. The doctor momentarily paused perhaps searching for the correct words “If you know your history well, many cultured have strived for racial purity and linked their identity to this. Death, destruction and ultimately the downfall of the Cause through resistance is why many a blind leader or group have failed to achieve their goals. Our Cause is not racial purity, but the purity of the culture. Who amongst us could claim 100% percent racial purity from the days the spirits walked the lands of Nipon, not many. Our mix here on New Osaka is mainly Asian with a very small percentage of Europeans and a smattering of other races, to succeed we need all races to accept that the old ways are best and cleanse only the ones opposed, for we need every soul to create our great civilisation.”

Osuma was quickly stuck by the word cleansed, although it did not horrify him, only a fool did not understand that for every great change there was also great loss. Osuma felt it was his turn to speak and not appear as the naive observer to whatever process was happening here. “So what are you asking from me” his voice was clear and crystal without waver, this amused the doctor as a small smile appeared on his face. Only three things the doctor proposed “Loyalty, Honour and Duty, and in return we can provide you a position amongst us”. Osuma though about this for a moment to gain power he must serve, the word Samurai meant attendant or men that attended to their lords wishes, these men were after samurai for their cause, not hired gunmen or assassins, but men willing to attach themselves to the old ways. The thoughts were intoxicating to Osuma, he knew that a  good lord would look after his own if they served well, power and position could be his if he desired it.

Osuma understood the words he must say “My life is yours” he said clearly to the doctor, each man in the small circle beamed a large smile and perhaps few sighs of relief. The doctor then rose from his chair quietly verbalizing his satisfaction “good, good, then we are done for the day gentleman” All the men including Osuma rose from their chair, Osuma bowed slightly to the men and walked toward the door beside the Doctor.
Osuma and the doctor walked towards the entrance, filing past the various rooms  he had noticed when he entered. The doctor supposed “Your current fleet assignment is on the colony ship correct?” Osuma nodded his head in response, but his eyes were downcast, he had shamed his warrior passions. “This is good, Osuma. Your current duties are to help the geological teams do planet side surveys and you will have access to this data correct?” Osuma ear pricked, he understood where the doctor was going with this. The survey information was invaluable before they were publicly announced; a person or organisation could make a lot of money on the financial markets. Fleet had stringent rules and procedures in this area and it was one of the few rules that  could lead to a dishonourable discharge and life imprisonment. The data was collected by the Fleet command officer and communicated encrypted to the fleet in a public broadcast, a public broadcast would be made a few days later.

The doctor continued “the Cause could benefit with a significant raise in capital, I will send Charles early next week to make arrangement how to send the data back in your normal military reports, so we cannot be discovered, also you cannot contact any of us directly for a while, for your and our safety we still need to keep the New Osaka Intelligence Service at a distance for now”. 

They had now reached the front door, Osuma turned and faced the doctor and bowed his head slightly “I understand” Osuma then exited into the night, as the large doors closed behind him.