Author Topic: Fighter Combat Bonus Bug  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Bryan Swartz (OP)

• Captain
  • B
Fighter Combat Bonus Bug
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
Just ran into the first instance of this(officer with 800% bonus now and obscene promotion score).  I'm wondering what people think is the best option for handling it.  Really depends on how often it crops up, but since it completely screws up promotion of officers, what I'm thinking of doing is:

** Consider all instances of it an 'unfortunate accident' and retire the officer early at the end of the tour(the affected person is an NPC right now, though a relatively good one). 
** Design all 'fighter' size vessels to be 'FACs' instead(right now that's just sensor buoys) so that they don't qualify for the bonus.
** Definitely eliminate any fighter-heavy strategy from consideration as a weapons philosophy.

Any input? 

Offline joeclark77

• Commander
  • j
Re: Fighter Combat Bonus Bug
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:39:11 PM »
Is this still happening in 6.3?

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:26:47 AM »
Well, I have 6.2.  Upgrading to 6.3 would mean not continuing this campaign :)

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »
I would say just the first one.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
I say just blow all these freaks out the airlock and grow some replacements (spacemaster in a few extra officers).
Call it 'medical intervention' or eugenics if you will.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Narmio

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:34:10 AM »
I agree.  Any intervention is going to have to be "Doylist" not "Watsonian", because you're in essence disagreeing with the simulated world.  That means you'll have to break strict RP in some way to do it, and removing affected officers is the least-disruptive way to do that. You just need a good RP cover.

One good cover would be stim-addiction.  Zero-G fighter pilots have to be on a cocktail of stimulants and nootropics to pull off combat manoeuvres at such crazy speeds, and every now and then they go off the rails. The navy is covering it up, they don't want people to know just how terrible these drugs can be over the long term. Stim addicts are honourably discharged, given a full military pension, forbidden to mention anything to anyone, and left shaken wrecks of their former selves. 

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:49:24 PM »
Not a bad idea.  However, I can't get around the fact that I don't want to ruin careers in that way(particularly of sign-up officers).  Thanks all for the feedback, but on this one I really think I've got to nix the fighters permanently. 

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »
hey folks, I'm dealing with this now too...it required culling about a third of my command structure.
What's the best way to avoid this? I really need fighers
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline PaxMondo

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:24 AM »
In SM Mode can you create a specific Officer/Administot/Scientist?  If so, how?  Thanks.  (6.3)

• Captain
  • B
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »
AFAIK, there's no way to avoid it(other than upgrade and lose your campaign).  So I think you either choose the bug or no fighters, I chose option B.  I don't see any reason why they are necessary.  Useful, but not necessary. 

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
Best way to avoid it is start using 6.3, other than that you can't avoid it.

Offline Triato

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
You could leave 5 of them and call it a top gun squadron.