Author Topic: Solar System Disasters  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Solar System Disasters
« on: October 16, 2009, 07:27:05 AM »
As quite a few Aurora campaigns have some sort of disaster in the background fiction, I though it might be fun to actually simulate some in the game. The first two optional disasters will be in v4.3 and involve the Sun heating up or cooling down over time. The heating/cooling will take place during the 5 day increments and the temperatures of all the planets/moons, etc will be affected, meaning you will have a limited time to get off the Earth before it cooks/freezes. Of course, you could use terraforming to try and stave off the inevitable or move to other planets within the solar system that may become more habitable for a time. I thought this might add some extra fun to Earth-based starts :)

The alternative is 1% per year progressive, using a percentage of 1% in each 5-day increment based on time passed. That would speed up the rate of increase in temperature.

I'll think about some other disasters that I could add in the future

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Solar System Disasters
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »
What about rogue comets that are on a collision course for Earth or a Colony?

You could almost treat them as ships and give them heavy armor so that they can be destroyed if there is enough firepower available.

Offline mavikfelna

• Lieutenant
    • http://www.geocities.com/mavikfelna
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11:44 AM »
I wouldn't mind a return of Ion Storms.

Meteor swarms that are a navigation hazard, and cause bombardment damage if they intersect with a planet.

Black hole passing through the system.

Mote in God's eye scenario where a jump point opens randomly in system and aliens come out. Make it a 1 way jump point.

Huge alien sublight colony planetoid enters system headed for habitable planet to take it over and restart the colonizing race's home.

--Mav

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
ok for disaster..but ever on "flag selection" Real life are enough full of density on disaters..hope an "game" more freely than a game:))

And..a HUGE undiscovered 1.000.000 tons-Class per 50.000 Asteroid-Ships Ancients in a far far away Systems:)..100 are Actively ate defense them:)

Offline Laurence

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • L
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
Could we get a menu to trigger a disaster in a particular system during game? That way its not just the Sol system affected.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
As quite a few Aurora campaigns have some sort of disaster in the background fiction, I though it might be fun to actually simulate some in the game. The first two optional disasters will be in v4.3 and involve the Sun heating up or cooling down over time. The heating/cooling will take place during the 5 day increments and the temperatures of all the planets/moons, etc will be affected, meaning you will have a limited time to get off the Earth before it cooks/freezes. Of course, you could use terraforming to try and stave off the inevitable or move to other planets within the solar system that may become more habitable for a time. I thought this might add some extra fun to Earth-based starts :)

The alternative is 1% per year progressive, using a percentage of 1% in each 5-day increment based on time passed. That would speed up the rate of increase in temperature.

I'll think about some other disasters that I could add in the future

Steve
I like this idea (assuming it is applied to any system not just Sol).  I like the idea of rogue comets or asteroids.  Also, what about changing the orbits of stars within systems containing multiple stars.  Suddenly, your mining colony is on a planet that will be  ripped apart by gravitational stress.  How about nova/supernova for older stars.  Supernova could even replace the system with a white dwarf/neautron star or black hole; alternatively a supernova could cause all the JPs to that system to either collapse or randomly jump to a different system.
Welchbloke