Author Topic: Automated Turns  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Automated Turns
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:32 AM »
I am running a solo game against a couple of NPRs and ran into a situation where I was advancing time for 20 seconds due to the "increment adjusted" event for what seemed like forever. It turned out to be a bug but I decided I wanted some way to avoid the tedium of continually having to press the advance time button to work through the NPR battle. Therefore for v4.31  I have added the Automated Turns button to the system map (the last button on the right with a Recycle icon). After a single press of the button, it will continually try to run one-day turns until an event happens that affects the default race. It doesn't change the gameplay in any way though. If NPRs are fighting then the increments will still be reduced to potentially a few seconds each. What it does achieve is that it allows you to sit back or do something else until the NPR fight is over and normal service resumes. Or you could just use it anyway and it will keep running one-day increment until an event happens that affects you.

The events log will still update after every increment so you can see time passing. Even so, use this with caution as it will not stop running if an interrupt event happens to any race except the default race. Instead an interrupt event for an NPR will end the increment and start a new one so the NPR can re-evaluate but the next increment will start immediately and the turns will keep rolling.

Steve

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
Re: Automated Turns
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »
I'd like to see a message indicating what's going so we don't think things are stuck in an infinite loop.  Also a cancel button somewhere so we can exit the automated turns so that we can turn off Aurora if real life interrupts us.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
I'd like to see a message indicating what's going so we don't think things are stuck in an infinite loop.  Also a cancel button somewhere so we can exit the automated turns so that we can turn off Aurora if real life interrupts us.
The event log continues showing increment updates so that will indicate time is passing.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:16:24 AM »
U R Welcome:)
aaaaaahh a very lifestyle

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
Also a cancel button somewhere so we can exit the automated turns so that we can turn off Aurora if real life interrupts us.
I have added a Stop button, although the game will be running when you use it so it won't take effect until the end of the increment in progress.

Steve

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 06:30:21 PM »
Steve, a welcome addition thank you. Funny I didn't know I needed these feature until you posted...... :D
Welchbloke

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:33:12 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Steve, a welcome addition thank you. Funny I didn't know I needed these feature until you posted...... :D

Thanks, Steve - I think this is what I need to solve my problem w/NPR fleets sailing around my home system and continually interrupting.  One question/request: does "involving the player" (i.e. events which stop the game) include events where an NPR detects a player ship or population?  If it does, I'd like to request that this change, since the cause of my interrupts was NPR detection of my fleets.

Thanks again,
John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 04:40:05 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
Thanks, Steve - I think this is what I need to solve my problem w/NPR fleets sailing around my home system and continually interrupting.  One question/request: does "involving the player" (i.e. events which stop the game) include events where an NPR detects a player ship or population?  If it does, I'd like to request that this change, since the cause of my interrupts was NPR detection of my fleets.
I think there is a word missing :) so I am not sure whether you think that an NPR detetcting a player should stop the game or not.

At the moment the event has to be an event displayed for the player race so an NPR detecting a player ship wouldn't stop time.

Steve

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:18 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I think there is a word missing :) so I am not sure whether you think that an NPR detetcting a player should stop the game or not.

At the moment the event has to be an event displayed for the player race so an NPR detecting a player ship wouldn't stop time.

Cool - this is what I was hoping for.

John

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 07:54:14 PM »
For the next version (currently 4.74) I have made a change to the way that Automated Turns works. The automated turn button has been replaced by a checkbox. When this is checked then any normal time increment becomes automated, rather than the existing day-long automated turns. So once you check the box then you can have 1-day automated turns, 5-day automated turns or 30-second automated turns just by using the normal time increment buttons. As in the existing version, time will halt when an interrupt event occurs for the default race. It will also stop when you uncheck the box, which is easier than trying to press the existing and occasionaly recalcitrant Stop button.

This should give automated turns considerably more flexibility and make them useful in a lot more situations.

Steve

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
Ur work r sure awesome..
but,here r some of strange "boring" situations..

For make a "realistic but funny and playable" game am never imagine waht WORK and HOURS u (Steve) spend on this game..to be better and enhanced..

But..am 2 hours who in "Automated Turns" show 38minutes time elapsed..

Am think,at this point: are possible,for u,change some in this situation?
Obviously the "real Times" battle r never same as "Turn based" ...but loose 1 whole afterdinner to show if somehow happens or not..r very hard for a "Working Man" who will FUN in Weekend:))

(aaaargh! my english was absurde for explain this situations)
ok..

1)u can try BETTER a NPR's decisions and situations,when not r directly involved with a human player?
For pass more fastest time..and set a good,ever funny,ur awesome game?

(zzz..hope u understand what am mean inside this confusion post:D )

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
For the next version (currently 4.74) I have made a change to the way that Automated Turns works. The automated turn button has been replaced by a checkbox. When this is checked then any normal time increment becomes automated, rather than the existing day-long automated turns. So once you check the box then you can have 1-day automated turns, 5-day automated turns or 30-second automated turns just by using the normal time increment buttons. As in the existing version, time will halt when an interrupt event occurs for the default race. It will also stop when you uncheck the box, which is easier than trying to press the existing and occasionaly recalcitrant Stop button.

This should give automated turns considerably more flexibility and make them useful in a lot more situations.

Steve

An idiot (me) -proofing suggestion:  put an fairly large upper limit (e.g. 120*requested increment size) on the total elapsed time in automated turns.  Once this time has passed, an interrupt would be generated giving the player an opportunity to change the increment size.

What happened:

1)  Even the checkbox has been somewhat recalcitrant for me - I've had cases where I just couldn't get it to uncheck.
2)  I clicked on a 5-second increment while forgetting that automated-turns were turned on.  Oops.  Luckily, it only took me a half dozen increments or so before I was able to get the checkbox to notice me trying to uncheck it.  Otherwise it could have been a LOOOOOOOONG time (at 5 second increments without the benefit of the in-memory optimizations you did) before an interrupt happened which would stop the automated turns for me.

My experience has been that I'm taking very long increments with the new interrupt system (3 hours was the shortest so far, and that was in the aftermath of an encounter with aliens when I wanted the internal timesteps to be smaller than the 30 minutes associated with a 1-day increment), which means I'll typically get some sort of interrupt after no more than a dozen or two increments.  Putting a ceiling of e.g. 120*(requested increment size) on the total time of increments should protect against the 5 second effect without kicking in when a mistake wasn't made.

Note that it's very important that the cutoff be total time of increments, rather than total number.  This is because Aurora will often interrupt every 5 seconds when NPRs are fighting battle.  When that happens, I typically just go do something else and let Aurora work its way through, which might take thousands of 5 second iterations.  Assuming a request for 1-day increments, using time elapsed as the criterion would give a maximum of 120 days of Aurora time for the battle to play out; if you were to simply count increments it would only go 10 minutes of Aurora time, at which point the player would have to come back to the computer and push the button again to get another 10 minutes of Aurora time.

John

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
ehhe.."return to PC and click "turn advance"...

Am never am in house for waitn NPR's finishem off some enemy..:D

Hope Steve found a sort of "new" Automation in advancing turns..with the PC calculation's NPR what to do and WE (player,MAIN players:)).) can enjoy and funny advance in Time..

Not Ages:)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
1)  Even the checkbox has been somewhat recalcitrant for me - I've had cases where I just couldn't get it to uncheck.
I have had intermittent problems with both the original button and the new checkbox, although I can't figure out why. For v4.8 I have added a key combination (Ctrl-F8) to stop it and that works every time without fail.

Steve