Author Topic: Trouble with mines  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Trouble with mines
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:37:16 AM »
I put this here, because, while it might be some kind of bug, I think it´s more likely me being stupid.

[attachment=0:4arhujy1]Scrshot #0 [04.12.2009 08.27.43] SystemMap9thApril20520810.jpg[/attachment:4arhujy1]

As you can see, there are 3 hostile ships on the map. The bunch of blue dots are a total of 100 Size-4 mines, stats below:

Telefunken Typ 4 Minenwerfer
Buoy Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Armour: 0
Reactor Endurance: 4.5 months
Active Sensor Strength: 0.4    Resolution: 50    Maximum Range: 200,000 km    
Cost Per Buoy: 3.524
Second Stage: ASE-1,25 Typ Schnake x2
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km

ASE-1,25 Typ Schnake
Missile Size: 1.25 MSP  (0.0625 HS)     Warhead: 2    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 14
Speed: 16900 km/s    Endurance: 2 minutes   Range: 2.1m km
Active Sensor Strength: 0.16    Resolution: 50    Maximum Range: 80,000 km    
Cost Per Missile: 1.112
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 236.6%   3k km/s 70%   5k km/s 47.3%   10k km/s 23.7%

The problem is, those 3 ships popped up through the jumppoint in the upper right and moved through the whole minefield without anything happening.
I had an active scan of the ships, before, as I have a picket boat nearby, which deactivated his sensor in order to try to escape.
After doing this, I realized I haven´t got an active scan anymore, even though those ships are well inside active sensor range for my mines.

Now, it seems to me, the active sensors on those mines failed to, well, activate, upon launch, because I droped them at waypoints using the fleet command "launch missiles at..." with no target selected for the buoys, but if I launch the buoys in the traditional way, i.e. launching them _at_ a waypoint, the second stages will immediately separate.

So, there it is. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 09:00:20 AM by Hawkeye »
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Trouble with mines
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 05:50:27 AM »
It is a bug. Due to a problem with local and global variables with the same name, the sensor resolution for active sensors on missiles is not being saved. I know this has worked in the past so I must have somehow introduced this problem recently. This means the resolution for the missile (or captor mine) is zero and therefore the sensor range is also zero. I have corrected the problem but it means your current mine design won't function. The fix won't retroactively correct it because the faulty data is already in your database. It is possible to change the two affected fields in the MissileSalvos table but from a previous reply I know you have the perfectly sensible view that you don't want to be messing about with the database. The alternative is to wait for v4.74, then redesign the mine and recreate the minefield. You could design the mine and use the Instant button for the research and use the SM Add function on the Stockpile view to instantly create the replacement mines. You will still have to redeploy them though.

This bug won't affect Precursor mine designs as they currently only use passive detection.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
Or another alternative is to email me the database and I can correct the data problem and send it back to you.

For future screenshots, please could you attach the files directly to the post rather than using a link to rapidshare. Every time I click on the rapidshare files I get several adult-oriented popups and I am concerned about viruses, etc.

Steve

Offline Hawkeye (OP)

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
For future screenshots, please could you attach the files directly to the post rather than using a link to rapidshare. Every time I click on the rapidshare files I get several adult-oriented popups and I am concerned about viruses, etc.

Steve

Doh, am I stupid or what? I _was_ looking for a way to do this, but failed to notice the "upload attachment" button right down there  :oops:

Ok, to test this, here is something odd (looks like a display bug)

[attachment=0:3mwg9ydq]Scrshot #7 [04.12.2009 15.34.08] SystemMap3rdMay20520638.jpg[/attachment:3mwg9ydq]
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »
I had some missiles that I had designed in 4.73 with active sensors so I went into the missiles table and updated the SensorResolution and SensorRange.

But, when I go into Aurora, then missile design and then choose one of those missiles from the 'MSP Allocation of Previous Design' dropdown then the Sensor Resolution is not populated, the MSP allocation for the sensor itself is correctly filled in though.

So, not sure if I updated the DB correctly, or if this is a just a UI bug.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 08:42:18 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
I had some missiles that I had designed in 4.73 with active sensors so I went into the missiles table and updated the SensorResolution and SensorRange.

But, when I go into Aurora, then missile design and then choose one of those missiles from the 'MSP Allocation of Previous Design' dropdown then the Sensor Resolution is not populated, the MSP allocation for the sensor itself is correctly filled in though.

So, not sure if I updated the DB correctly, or if this is a just a UI bug.
It's a UI bug. Fixed in v4.75

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 08:50:14 PM »
Quote from: "Hawkeye"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

Doh, am I stupid or what? I _was_ looking for a way to do this, but failed to notice the "upload attachment" button right down there  :oops:

Ok, to test this, here is something odd (looks like a display bug)

[attachment=0:1j7i31r9]Scrshot #7 [04.12.2009 15.34.08] SystemMap3rdMay20520638.jpg[/attachment:1j7i31r9]
Yes it is a display bug. The function that returns time and distance for orders was missing the section of code for life pods so it probably returned 0,0 for coordinates. Were you 5.49b km from the star rather than from the life pods?

Fixed in v4.75

Steve