C# Aurora > Development Discussions

C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions

(1/451) > >>

sloanjh:
Starting a suggestions thread per Steve's request.

Please be sure to post all suggestions for C# Aurora to this thread; this will help Steve keep track of them.  Any suggestions posted elsewhere are likely to be "lost" by Steve after he has read them the first time.

If discussions balloon (more than a few back-and-forth rounds) and/or go off-topic (into long historical, philosophical, reasonableness, etc. exchanges), please start a new thread and post a reference to that thread here.  Since Steve will be using this thread as his "suggestion database", we should try to keep the signal (specific suggestions) to noise (discussions thereof) down so that he can easily browse/find the suggestions.

If you suspect you're posting a controversial and/or major suggestion that will generate a lot of discussion, please start a new thread and post a synopsis and reference to that thread here.  That being said, please be conscious of the fact that Steve often starts new threads on specific topics to ask for input; we don't want to knock such threads off the front page by starting a bunch of small threads that don't generate a lot of discussion.

Thanks, and have fun!!

John

Zincat:
I would like to suggest a new way to exploit distant binary systems.

As we know, hyperdrive didn't really work that well and was removed. Frankly, I do not want to see it back, it would probably still be problematic. That, and having to have a new, different engine for all ships required to make the trip between the distant companions would be problematic.

I think a much more elegant and "realistic" solution would be, after researching an appropriate technology, the possibility to build in-system gates between stars. You could justify it as a technology that "replicates the natural lagrange points", only that because of the imperfect results due to it being artificial, it requires the mass of a star.

Mechanically, it would be similar to the already present gate constructors. You would build a "lagrange constructor" ship, with the appropriate module. Send it to a star. Order a "build gate to <other star in system>" command, and then wait until it is complete. That would create a one-way gate, as for the other normal type of system-to-system gates. If you want  a two-way artificial lagrange point, you would send the constructor to the other side and build the gate on that side as well.

I hope that this solution would be relatively simple to implement, and once it's done it can work with the already present code for routing ships. And it would allow to finally use systems with distant stars companions.

Dr. Toboggan:

--- Quote from: Zincat on February 21, 2018, 12:28:06 PM ---I would like to suggest a new way to exploit distant binary systems.

As we know, hyperdrive didn't really work that well and was removed. Frankly, I do not want to see it back, it would probably still be problematic. That, and having to have a new, different engine for all ships required to make the trip between the distant companions would be problematic.

I think a much more elegant and "realistic" solution would be, after researching an appropriate technology, the possibility to build in-system gates between stars. You could justify it as a technology that "replicates the natural lagrange points", only that because of the imperfect results due to it being artificial, it requires the mass of a star.

Mechanically, it would be similar to the already present gate constructors. You would build a "lagrange constructor" ship, with the appropriate module. Send it to a star. Order a "build gate to <other star in system>" command, and then wait until it is complete. That would create a one-way gate, as for the other normal type of system-to-system gates. If you want  a two-way artificial lagrange point, you would send the constructor to the other side and build the gate on that side as well.

I hope that this solution would be relatively simple to implement, and once it's done it can work with the already present code for routing ships. And it would allow to finally use systems with distant stars companions.

--- End quote ---

Could it be easier to make it more likely to have jump points have a greater chance of connecting to other systems? I recall that at some point in either The Mote in God's Eye or The Gripping Hand that oftentimes it is easier for ships to take a route through more systems, but the overall distance covered is less.  So instead of trying to go to System-1 B from the jump point right next to System-1 A, you could go through System-2, which links to System-3, which leads to System-4, which connects to a point right next to System-1 B. 
I would personally just like a greater chance of systems connecting to each other, so that the galactic map is more of a web than a subway system, but I am not sure whether that would be harder to implement than artificial Lagrange points.  It just gets a bit tedious when all paths lead back to Sol.

Frank Jager:
Re-Posting from the Semi Official 7. x suggestions thread.  (Cleaned up and made relevant to significant changes in Aurora C#)

TL/DR Make Kinetic weapons useful and add a logistical ammunition component into the game. 

I propose a change to the weapons mix that I hope is easy to implement.  This should complement the recent changes to Missile design.

Kinetic Weapons
Railguns
Specifications;
Non Turretable.
Spinal design choice.  2x HS Requirement, but with a 33% increase in BP, increase calibre size by one step.
Long range.
          Able to fire at maximum range with a 4x BFC.
Only produce one projectile per times fired.
Maintain the Missile damage profile.
Calibre and Missile Warhead size damage.
          120mm      5 WH (25 Damage,    5 Layers of Armour Penetration)     10 HS
          150mm      6 WH (36 Damage,    6 Layers of Armour Penetration)     12 HS
          175mm      7 WH (49 Damage,    7 Layers of Armour Penetration)     15 HS
          200mm      8 WH (64 Damage,    8 Layers of Armour Penetration)     17 HS
          250mm      9 WH (81 Damage,    9 Layers of Armour Penetration)     20 HS
          300mm    10 WH (100 Damage, 10 Layers of Armour Penetration)    30 HS
          300mm    11 WH (121 Damage, 11 Layers of Armour Penetration) [Spinal Only]
Firing Rate and Tech Progression.
          Base     120 Seconds
          Double    60 Seconds
          Triple       30 Seconds
          Quadruple 15 Seconds
Require 1 MSP (Missile Size Point) per shot of ammunition.

Gauss Cannon
Specifications;
These weapons should have;
The ability to be turreted.
Barrel Tech Line.
             Single        1 Projectile
             Dual          2 Projectiles
             Tri             3 Projectiles
            Quad          4 Projectiles
Medium range, max range at 2x BFC, accuracy increases with bigger BFCs.
Calibre, Missile Warhead Damage Profile and HS.
                30mm            3 Damage, 1 Layers of Armour Penetration)    3 HS
                40mm            8 Damage, 2 Layers of Armour Penetration)    5 HS
                50mm          15 Damage, 3 Layers of Armour Penetration)    7 HS
                60mm          24 Damage, 4 Layers of Armour Penetration)  10 HS
                70mm          35 Damage, 5 Layers of Armour Penetration)  12 HS
                80mm          48 Damage, 6 Layers of Armour Penetration)  15 HS
Firing Rate and Tech Progression.
          Base       60 Seconds
          Double    30 Seconds
          Triple      15 Seconds
Require 0. 5 MSP (Missile Size Point) per shot of ammunition.

Auto Cannon
Specifications;
Turret-able
Provides CIWS component to allow civilians access to the weapons tech for defensive purposes.
Max Size 1HS.
          Reduction techs.
              100% Size   100% Accuracy
              75% Size      80% Accuracy
              50% Size      60% Accuracy
              25% Size      40% Accuracy
Baseline 10 projectiles per 5 second increment (120 Rounds Per Minute), double and triple fire rate techs
1 Damage per projectile.
Max Range 10km
0. 1 MSP (Missile Size Point) per increment of ammunition. 

Other Considerations
A spinal design tag added to prevent more than a SINGLE spinal weapon regardless of type, similar to the tag given to engines.
A Minimum targetable (Combat) range of 2km, to take advantages of the increase in processor time.  (Ignorant of C# code base, if this is not true please let me know. )

Ammunition
Production.  1 point of Ammunition requires . 25 Duranium and can be produced in ordnance factories.
Types.  There should only be one type of ammunition and it is used universally between the different weapon systems.
(Half Ton slugs of Duranium cut to size on-board the ship)
Transport.  These should only be able to be transported within a magazine, civilian or military.

It doesn't make sense to me that civilian ships can have CIWS missile defenses but not have to pay any cost for the systems. 

Regards

Frank

ardem:
I believe orbiting space craft should get a 50% or more reduction to their profile, as the background noise of the planet hides their signature, or simulates they are on the other side, this would result in some nice ambushes, in have space terrain involved. The biggest problem with Aurora Sensor ability is it see everything even when terrain features could be used.

(Did not see this new post so posting it here to make sure it added into the suggestions page.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version