Author Topic: Unassigning a commander  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Barkhorn (OP)

• Commodore
  • B
Unassigning a commander
« on: July 18, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
I think I'm making this harder than it has to be, but I cannot figure out how to unassign someone.

I have an automated mining colony on Tempel 1, and I want to remove it's governor because it has been completely mined out.  But there seems to be no way to do this.  What am I missing?

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Unassigning a commander
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »
Assign the current leader to an empty position. Check the list of available locations, one of them will fit the bill.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:23 AM »
In the list should be a location "unassigned" (at least I believe this is the name on it) and you click that and assign the govenor to this.  This will leave them on temple 1 though.

What was suggested will also work...you can assign him to earth and then re-assign the govenor of earth back as an alternative way.

The following users thanked this post: MagusXIX, Barkhorn, superstrijder15

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 06:24:59 PM »
In the list should be a location "unassigned" (at least I believe this is the name on it) and you click that and assign the govenor to this.  This will leave them on temple 1 though.

What was suggested will also work...you can assign him to earth and then re-assign the govenor of earth back as an alternative way.

I have a question related to this. Once we unassign, won't the governor (and any garrison commander) disappear if we abandon the colony? I've sent ships to make sure governors aren't lost, but I can't really stop the auto-assignment of a garrison commander. I think I've avoided loss through timing, but it's still a bit of a hassle that might not even be necessary.

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:27:36 AM »
You won't lose them. They just get assigned to <undefined>, which won't cause any problems.

The following users thanked this post: obsidian_green

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 05:13:19 AM »
I have to admit what I do is leave Demos as a colony (it has some few hundred minerals of one sort of another) and then when I want to get the govenor of one of the colonies in the oort cloud home I just assign him to Demos and then send a pinnace out to pick them up and drop them off on earth.  I view the govenorship of a CMC/pure automine colony as a position on earth anyway.