Author Topic: Fire control assignment quality of life suggestion  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Desdinova (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • D
Fire control assignment quality of life suggestion
« on: December 05, 2020, 04:43:52 PM »
Steve, please consider allowing the player to select multiple fire controls in the lefthand pane of the ship combat window, in order to assign a target to multiple fire controls in a single click-and-drag. As it stands assigning targets is kind of a pain - moreso than I remember from VB6.

It would also be great if you could select multiple weapons in order to drag them onto a fire control - for example, if you play with box launcher ships you might not always want all missile launchers assigned at once, but right now these have to be dragged on and off the fire control one-by-one.

Also, these windows aren't scrollable, so if you have a ship with enough box launchers to fill the whole screen, you have to collapse parts of the tree in order to see anything.

Another quantity-of-life option would be to have filters for the "potential targets" on the right hand side. We can already filter "hostile only" targets, but it would be great to be able to filter commercial-engine ships, ships with active sensors, and ships that haven't been targeted by another ship.

It would also be nice to have "open Fire Ship" and "cease fire ship"  to open fire all ship fire controls at once.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
Re: Fire control assignment quality of life suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:06:01 PM »
It would also be nice to have "open Fire Ship" and "cease fire ship"  to open fire all ship fire controls at once.

Seconded for most items, but the above already exists - "Open/Cease Fire All" is the topmost button on the right of the Ship Combat tab and does what you describe, in contrast to the Open/Cease Fire Fleet buttons further down the list.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »
I think its reasonable to indicate that some (if not probably most of us) would like to have this.

In particular multiselect for fire controls, my god that would be such a huge help.  Being able to mass select 20 box launchers and assign them to a fire control to launch them at a target would be great, I currently do this by quite literally building multiple fire controls purely to divide my box launchers into easily managed groups that I can target onto a ship.

Additionally, I would like to mention that I remember back in the old days I could set fire control assignments for designs, and then have that carry over into newly built ships.  It may or may not already be intended for that to return, but I figured I would mention it because I really liked it.  The vast majority of my ships tend to have a fairly fixed fire control layout that doesn't change.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 01:30:02 PM »
Additionally, I would like to mention that I remember back in the old days I could set fire control assignments for designs, and then have that carry over into newly built ships.  It may or may not already be intended for that to return, but I figured I would mention it because I really liked it.  The vast majority of my ships tend to have a fairly fixed fire control layout that doesn't change.

This would be very useful indeed however compared to the other stuff I would argue it is more minor since the "assign all" button is a good approximation once you set up the first ship.