Author Topic: Periodical auto-saves  (Read 1016 times)

Offline slevir (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • s
Periodical auto-saves
« on: December 23, 2020, 05:41:27 AM »
Losing several hours worth of gameplay for some random reason like a blackout or a game/windows freeze/crash/etc is painful, especially in Aurora, so it seems to be a good idea to me to have some sort of auto-save.  I hear from more experienced players that in some previous versions Aurora saved every action to DB, which slowed the game down quite considerably, so instead I propose periodical saves like this:

- on loading the game, initialize last save time with current time
- after processing one turn, check how much real time has passed since last save
- if this time is larger than X seconds/minutes/whatever (possibly a setting?), save the game and reset last save time to the current time

This won't be exactly "each X minutes/whatever", but it's close enough, and more importantly doing it like this won't introduce sluggishness (due to saving) at random points of time, which can be annoying if the player tries to do something useful.

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: Periodical auto-saves
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 07:13:08 AM »
Some kind of autosave or reminder would definitely be appreciated, yeah. I'd prefer it to be a reminder - saving my DB takes already the better part of a minute, so I don't want some of my 30s increments to be stretched even longer if I can't help it.

Offline Kylemmie

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Periodical auto-saves
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 09:36:15 AM »
While the AuroraoMod  has an excellent function that includes autosave and/or a reminder to save, I'm not sure it will be supported beyond 1.12