Author Topic: General question on aliens  (Read 5538 times)

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: General question on aliens
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 03:42:47 PM »
NPR initiated invasions was a major feature I've been posting about and Steve has confirmed they're in as well as troop transports and internal ground force deployment/redeployments for C#.  I want a reason to garrison my planets.

The AI has mounted two ground invasions in my current campaign.

Outstanding!  Was it pretty well supported with good composition and number of forces?  Does AI try to get space superiority and invade with a larger combined arms based off its estimate of the defending force?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2019, 03:47:41 AM »
NPR initiated invasions was a major feature I've been posting about and Steve has confirmed they're in as well as troop transports and internal ground force deployment/redeployments for C#.  I want a reason to garrison my planets.

The AI has mounted two ground invasions in my current campaign.

Outstanding!  Was it pretty well supported with good composition and number of forces?  Does AI try to get space superiority and invade with a larger combined arms based off its estimate of the defending force?

The AI will try to get space superiority and it does base the size of the invasion force on the estimated defensive force. The AI will usually try to use a combined infantry / armour force, although some NPRs or spoilers may have specific types of ground forces.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 05:51:14 AM »
Does the AI tailor assault/defense forces to the terrain?

Online vorpal+5 (OP)

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 07:30:42 AM »
You realize that your AI is already better than any other sci-fi 4X game?  ;D

Just add Diplomacy and you can take your family and RV for a grand tour while we find you bugs!

The following users thanked this post: xenoscepter

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
vorpal+5
You realize that your AI is already better than any other sci-fi 4X game?  ;D

Just add Diplomacy and you can take your family and RV for a grand tour while we find you bugs!

This right here. Not trying to dissuade you from making it EVEN BETTER, but it seriously is already quite good... compared to other games. Most other AI is truly braindead, however, so you are effectively doing better than the worst possible outcome.

But why make good AI when you can just make bad AI that cheats even worse than it plays and watch your player base rage themselves to death trying to figure out how to survive it much less beat it?

Offline Tikigod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
And so reading it, what will have changed for C#:

They don't use fuel
They don't suffer maintenance failures
They don't have to retool shipyards.
Minerals from their mining colonies get magically transported home
NPRs also do not use troop transports. (This point requires verification)

For C#, they use fuel, they use troop transports and they have to retool shipyards. The AI makes decisions about which classes it needs the most and retools accordingly.

They still don't have maintenance failures (for now anyway) but they design ships as if they did require maintenance. Minerals are still transported for now, but that will probably change too at some point.

Hope you realise this just increases the desire for C# even more.  ;D
The popular stereotype of the researcher is that of a skeptic and a pessimist.  Nothing could be further from the truth! Scientists must be optimists at heart, in order to block out the incessant chorus of those who say "It cannot be done. "

- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, University Commencement