Author Topic: A Question for anyone that cares  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
A Question for anyone that cares
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
Recreating the Quad-System campaign is proving to be a little more difficult than I anticipated.  It certainly isn't impossible, or even prohibitively difficult, but it is more work than I thought it would be, and even worse, I feel like I'm going over territory that I already covered.  

So I am putting it to those of you that are interested, if there is anyone that fits into that category.  Do you want me to continue recreating the Quad-System campaign (are you really interested in how this particular campaign works out) or would you all mind if I went on to a new campaign?  

I've got a couple of good ideas for a new campaign, but if there are people that liked the Quad-System campaign, as new as it was, then I don't want to leave them hanging.  

BTW: Some of the ideas for new campaigns that I'm working on (I'm always working up a few):
Twin Moons: Two moons orbiting a gas giant, populated with races that don't like each other.  They are within range of each other's missiles from the first, and the game starts with an all out attack by one on the other.  
Humanity Resurgent: A human colony clawing its way back to the stars, in search of a secret and a power than will allow it to conquer the fallen empire.
An alternate history scenario involving six major space-going powers dominating earth after WW II ends very differently than in reality.

I'm leaning towards the Twin Moons scenario, as it is easy to set up, and will be a quick and likely interesting campaign to play and write up.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Haegan2005

• Commander
    • http://home.grandecom.net/~silkexpressions/WarStars.htm
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 09:17:08 PM »
An alternate history scenario involving six major space-going powers dominating earth after WW II ends very differently than in reality.

I'm leaning towards the Twin Moons scenario, as it is easy to set up, and will be a quick and likely interesting campaign to play and write up.

Ultimately, write what interests you. You will produce better writings and will spend much more time on it. That being said, the WWII story sounds interesting, but will involve much more work and may become drudgery after a little while. My Havertian campaign currently involves four races(down from five) and it is a lot of work to keep track of all of them and keep in mind what their design philosophies are and to remember what they are focused on. It makes for great tensions and resulting fiction though. I will continue the campaign when I have more time available. Work has really killed my free time, but the story will continue!
As a side note, I am trying out 2.5 and really like the improvements and new ideas. I am sure the King and his great grandson will enjoy their encounters playing it. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Haegan2005 »

Offline Unco

• Petty Officer
  • U
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:13:55 PM »
I like the Quad-System campaign, but whatever allows you to put out new reports faster is fine with me. :D

I assume with the Twin Moons scenario, you would continue the game and have the winning side expand out of system after the initial war?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Unco »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »
Quote from: "Unco"
I like the Quad-System campaign, but whatever allows you to put out new reports faster is fine with me. :lol: .  I figure the possibilities are that both may survive, or one or the other, or neither.  The way I envision it, this will be a spontaneous war that neither was prepared for, so it is possible that both will survive after suffering some damage.  

Kurt

Offline Doug Olchefske

• Petty Officer
Re: A Question for anyone that cares
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 06:24:53 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"

BTW: Some of the ideas for new campaigns that I'm working on (I'm always working up a few):

Twin Moons: Two moons orbiting a gas giant, populated with races that don't like each other.  They are within range of each other's missiles from the first, and the game starts with an all out attack by one on the other.  

This is a little different. Smashing the built in adversary at the start kind of turns this into a more normal campaign start though. Unless the attack fails...

Humanity Resurgent: A human colony clawing its way back to the stars, in search of a secret and a power than will allow it to conquer the fallen empire.

This is getting a bit clich?d.

This is, I think, the most satisfying, but is also the most work. I'm working on one of these intermittantly and having all to control all those races from the start is daunting.

Six powers? I only have five. I guess you're better.  :cry:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Doug Olchefske »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: A Question for anyone that cares
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:31:59 AM »
Recreating the Quad-System campaign is proving to be a little more difficult than I anticipated.  It certainly isn't impossible, or even prohibitively difficult, but it is more work than I thought it would be, and even worse, I feel like I'm going over territory that I already covered.  

So I am putting it to those of you that are interested, if there is anyone that fits into that category.  Do you want me to continue recreating the Quad-System campaign (are you really interested in how this particular campaign works out) or would you all mind if I went on to a new campaign?  

I am not particularly attached to the Quad (unlike say the Phoenix)

Liable to be short but not necessarily a bad thing, although my own taste tends towards the epic.

Unless theres more of a twist I'd leave this for the moment

The problem I ususally have with this is that everyone usually starts on good ole Terra Firma, and I would expect more competition for the close in resources  than usually is shown.  Again the potential is for it to be rather short.

However go for what you think will be most fun for you - it shows in your writting when you are beginning to become bored with a campaign.

Slainthe

Mike
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »
The two moons sounds like fun. The six powers on Earth also sounds good but considerably more work. Why not go for the two moons for now and perhaps play a shorter campaign and then take on the WWII scenario after the next version comes out.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Kurt (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
The two moons sounds like fun. The six powers on Earth also sounds good but considerably more work. Why not go for the two moons for now and perhaps play a shorter campaign and then take on the WWII scenario after the next version comes out.

Steve

My thinking exactly.  

I am excited about the alternate history/six powers campaign concept, but it is going to be a lot of work to get right, so I think I'll wait for a while on that one.  

Therefore, I am going to go ahead with my Twin Moons Campaign.  Expect write-ups soon.  

Kurt

PS: I've been a little distracted because I've been playing Victoria Revolutions/Hearts of Iron II Doomsday, which allows me to lead a nation from 1836 to 1965 between the two games.  Pretty cool, although, by the time you get to WW II things are usually pretty different than in reality.