Author Topic: Newbie Question #3 "Population/Workers/Jobs"  (Read 2830 times)

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
Newbie Question #3 "Population/Workers/Jobs"
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:50:24 AM »
Hi all

Situation is as follows:

Venus has 4 million population (all in infrastructure with no terraforming) but they all work in Agriculture - so it seems a bit of a waste.  Whats the best strategy to get workers doing Service Industry/Manufacturing/Mining etc.

Thanks

EDIT:  see also reply #10 for a second pop related question
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:16:36 AM by voteslave »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Newbie Question #3 "Population/Workers/Jobs"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 04:45:44 AM »
Unfortunately venus is so hostile the entire population will be working on "agriculture" to support itself. Terraforming is the only option and it could take decades of massive investment considering how thick it's atmosphere is.
Orbital habitats do have a fixed manufacturing percentage and are the only useful way to colonise venus at the start.
As I recall every increase of 1 in colony cost requires 5% more of agriculture workers. I could be wrong on that number though.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 06:18:11 AM »
thanks

i think i'll recall them all back to earth - is this possible and if so whats the best way?

many thanks

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:03:22 AM »
Venus as a colony is a daunting proposition unless you use orbital habitats or have a humongous amount of terraformers. Better left to automines.

You should always keep a close eye on the colony cost before settling a planet. Realistically, anything about 4 is very inconvenient until you start terraforming.  Over 6-7 is not worth considering without terraforming.

Theoretically you could strip the planet of infrastructure, and/or moving back the population with colony ships. However your civilians will keep growing it, no matter what you do. You might simply want to abandon the colony, I don't think it's a battle you can win unless you have a lot of colony ships/freighters.

What you could do if you really want to is make civilian contracts to move away, for example to earth or another place you want to colonize, all the infrastructure. But even in this case I' not sure you'd manage to overrun the civilians who keep growing the colony.

At some point or another you will be forced to abandon the colony...

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
Unfortunately venus is so hostile the entire population will be working on "agriculture" to support itself. Terraforming is the only option and it could take decades of massive investment considering how thick it's atmosphere is.
Orbital habitats do have a fixed manufacturing percentage and are the only useful way to colonise venus at the start.
As I recall every increase of 1 in colony cost requires 5% more of agriculture workers. I could be wrong on that number though.
Interesting, any chance someone can elaborate(or link to some archive) on this topic (I cant find anything)

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
The wiki mentions that agriculture starts at 5% and goes up with colony cost. I believe it's a multiplier, 10% for colony cost 2 etc.
Then there's service industry which grows up towards 25% or something by the time a population reaches a certain level.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »
Interesting, any chance someone can elaborate(or link to some archive) on this topic (I cant find anything)

Steve may have posted the formula a decade or so ago; it's been this way since the early days of Aurora (I know, because I fell into this trap very early on, before the days of orbital habitats :) ).  I don't remember any posts of details since then.

The general idea is that the environment is so harsh that a huge percentage of the population is required to maintain the infrastructure and hydroponics.

John

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:01:47 AM »
Steve used to post the exact formulas for stuff like this, it's probably buried in mechanics.
But for the wiki it should be fine just to state what effect it has, I might just check what population levels cause various levels of service industry similar to how I checked how much infrastructure is produced by population levels.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
It would be nice to know the exact formula, but atm I am grabbing at any bit of info on the relation between colony cost->population->manufacturing->economy and everything in between.

I understand the basics, colony cost determine your max population, which determine your manufacturing capabilities and wealth production through trade. But all the intricacies allude me  :-[

Offline JacksonTaus

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
It would be nice to know the exact formula, but atm I am grabbing at any bit of info on the relation between colony cost->population->manufacturing->economy and everything in between.

I understand the basics, colony cost determine your max population, which determine your manufacturing capabilities and wealth production through trade. But all the intricacies allude me  :-[

Your workforce is divided into Agriculture/Environmental + Service Sector + Manufacturing = 100%. Manufacturing are the people you get to use for stuff like factories or research labs or mines.

As mentioned, Agriculture/Environmental scales with Colony Cost - it bottoms out at 5%, and goes up by 2.5% or something per 1 Colony Cost.

Service sector percentage scales with population. I think it's at about 400-500 million where it caps out at 75% of your population. I'm not sure the exact formula is known, since the last posts were a long time ago and it may have changed.

It's because of the way that service sector scaling works that moving people off of Earth is so useful - if you have 1 million spare workers on Earth, you can pick up 4 million people and drop them on colony and have 3 million available workers. It's worth it to move people off of Earth to a developing colony on an Ideal Habitable World until you hit 250M people or so. At that point you're not gaining much in terms of lower service sector needs.

EDIT: For Trade, supply and demand scale with population. Each world produces surpluses in different things. There are breakpoints at which colonies begin to demand specific goods, and I think it's 10M and 25M. A colony of size 1M only wants a fraction of the trade goods, a colony of size 11 million has demand for most of the trade goods, and a colony of size 26 million wants some of every type of trade good. So for ideal trade, you want multiple 25M+ worlds that specialize in different things so they can trade between them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:01:46 PM by JacksonTaus »

Offline voteslave (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:42 AM »
Hi again

another question relating to Pops

situation is i am colonizing my first planet in another galaxy - however i seem to have ended up with 2 separate pops on the same planet - the planet is listed twice in the populated systems list

i guess that the civs transferred people there but i don't understand why the pops have been kept separate

is there any way to combine the pops?  is this a bug??  am a bit confused as to whats going on here

thanks