Author Topic: Mars Colonization gone wrong  (Read 1393 times)

Offline StarFox88 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
Mars Colonization gone wrong
« on: August 05, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
I started my second game in total, first was 2 or 3 years ago.
And I tried to colonize Mars and therefore looked into, what I have to do, but something went wrong and I don't have a clue what.

I sent some Infrastructure first to Mars and then shipped some people and terraforming equipment over there, but right from the start, the Protection required was incredible high and kept increasing while the unrest of Mars kept skyrocketing.

At first I thought, I misjudged how many Infrastructures would be required, but all of the time, the Population of Mars was lower then the Population supported by Infrastructure.

I was looking online for some guidelines on what to look for, but I wasn't able to find anything.

And after a while I was just done and kept fast forwarding to see, if anything would be changing over time, but it was just terrible.

So what went wrong?

Offline Gnoman

• Leading Rate
  • G
Re: Mars Colonization gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:46:57 PM »
That screenshot appears to be using "," for decimals and "." as a thousands separator. Aurora only works with the reverse.

Offline StarFox88 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 01:30:32 AM »
It apears to be working that way though.  There is for example 0,38 G and -57,6°C and 50,000, so 50 thoushand tons Mass Driver Capacity which is correct and consistent through all the stats.

Offline Tree

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 02:06:31 AM »
It does not work correctly that way, as written in several places on the forums, full stop. There are several workarounds on the forums though.

You have one trillion people on Earth when it capacity is about 12 billions IIRC, and 9 billions on Mars when its capacity is about 3410 millions (rather than 341 millions as in your screenshot). And you have a population growth of 98% when it should be 0,98% at best. More and more issues will just keep cropping up, you can't play the game properly like this.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:08:42 AM by Tree »

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 02:19:12 AM »
It apears to be working that way though.  There is for example 0,38 G and -57,6°C and 50,000, so 50 thoushand tons Mass Driver Capacity which is correct and consistent through all the stats.

The issue is that Aurora is designed by an English programmer, and therefore uses the conventional number usages for UK/US/Commonwealth which is "." is the decimal separator and "," is for separating Thousands, Millions etc.  Unlike the standards on the European continent (and some other places) which have "," as the decimal separator and "." differentiating thousands, millions  etc.

This becomes a problem particularly when applications use SQL to perform functions as injected numbers cause errors in the way it performs.

Looking at your screenshot I suspect that this is partly  the basis of your problem as the numbers are very weird (99% annual growth just doesn't happen - its normally in single digits or low teens). Other weird things will result.

Your actual unrest is caused by a lack of protection (ie fleet elements in the system) - The pop you have is looking for PPV of 6,980 (which you would normally need a major battlefleet to generate) and you have 30 (likely only a destroyer or two).  This unrest CAN be reduced by troops on the ground (Infantry with light weapons would do the job if there are enough of them).  Note that your capital will not suffer from unrest due to insufficient protection, but any other colony that is big enough will. 

However as Tree noted, you will need to change the decimal separator to play Aurora further - there is an approved mod to do this (I don't have to as I live in Australia which uses the same standards as the UK, but its in the approved mods forum)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:32:15 AM by ZimRathbone »
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Elvin

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 04:08:32 AM »
As no-one has said it yet: The fix for your problem is to either: