Author Topic: Keeping Control!!!!  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
Keeping Control!!!!
« on: June 25, 2010, 04:58:56 AM »
In my current game things are getting quite complicated and I've made quite a few errors. Keeping track of all the fleets and the mineral situation with research on top is becoming very difficult. Can anyone give tips on how they manage and keep control of a growing empire?

I don't really want to start again but anyway to get some order to things would help. Maybe there are some shortcuts or screens I'm not aware of this wouldn't suprise me knowing Aurora  :D

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Keeping Control!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 06:02:45 AM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
In my current game things are getting quite complicated and I've made quite a few errors. Keeping track of all the fleets and the mineral situation with research on top is becoming very difficult. Can anyone give tips on how they manage and keep control of a growing empire?

I don't really want to start again but anyway to get some order to things would help. Maybe there are some shortcuts or screens I'm not aware of this wouldn't suprise me knowing Aurora  :D
Are you using conditional orders for your freighters etc?  I also get my fleets to send a message with what I'd like them to do next as part of their orders e.g. Cargo Sqn #1's last order might be Send Message 'use me for building up Planet X' as its last order.  Prompts like that seem to enough for me.  Also, I write up AARs for myself (with a view to maybe posting some later) and I tend to put my thoughts on how I want things to develop in there.
Welchbloke

Offline MattyD

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 06:06:11 AM »
I've noticed that the number of task groups that are in the 'Fleet Headquarters' selection gets a bit huge. I don't have the minerals to construct a large fleet but when I do I'm going to set up a military Fleet and a civilian fleet via the OOB bit on the 4th tab in the task group window.

At least then, there will be less task groups to choose from in the pull downs.

Another thing I have found that is very useful is the task group order 'send message'. I set this for jump ships that are taking a geo survey vessel out into an uncharted system. I join the two fleets, plot the standard transits out to the required location and then do a send message. A little text box appears and I type something like 'Detach Shale 002 here and do the geo survey'.

Once the ship completes the order, the message appears in the events log. It's a handy reminder.

While I know it would be a total pain in the bottom, I would like a 'are you sure' for the time update. The number of times I click a 30 day instead of opening the events log..... grrrr. I should learn the keyboard shortcuts.. :)
My Newbie AAR

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »
Quote from: "Matty_D"
I've noticed that the number of task groups that are in the 'Fleet Headquarters' selection gets a bit huge. I don't have the minerals to construct a large fleet but when I do I'm going to set up a military Fleet and a civilian fleet via the OOB bit on the 4th tab in the task group window.

At least then, there will be less task groups to choose from in the pull downs.

Another thing I have found that is very useful is the task group order 'send message'. I set this for jump ships that are taking a geo survey vessel out into an uncharted system. I join the two fleets, plot the standard transits out to the required location and then do a send message. A little text box appears and I type something like 'Detach Shale 002 here and do the geo survey'.

Once the ship completes the order, the message appears in the events log. It's a handy reminder.

While I know it would be a total pain in the bottom, I would like a 'are you sure' for the time update. The number of times I click a 30 day instead of opening the events log..... grrrr. I should learn the keyboard shortcuts.. :)
Great minds think alike :D
Welchbloke

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »
Wow thanks for all your great tips guys I wasn't aware of the message option this will really help. The conditional orders are fine but I get fed up with the message spam when the orders can't be completed. Also are the actual fleets orders processed before any conditionals?

For example if I set-up a conditional to survey X system then choose the orders to get my ship there would the conditional kick in on arriving in the target system or in the systems in between? From what I can remember I start getting message spam once I transit a jump point on the way.

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:10 AM »
Default orders kick in whenever the ship has no orders at a sub-pulse and secondary default orders kick in when the default fails (e.g. default is to unload colonists and the ship is empty), conditional orders kick in whenever the condition is true and (I think) get added at the start of the order queue.

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:24:06 PM »
Is there a list anywhere explaining the different default and conditional orders. Also info about the Naval Organisation tab would be useful.

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:21:41 AM »
In my current game I'm trying to set-up a colony and it seems to be taking ages to get enough minerals to start building anything has anyone got any tips on getting new colonies up and running in a reasonable time.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:00:44 AM »
In my current game I'm trying to set-up a colony and it seems to be taking ages to get enough minerals to start building anything has anyone got any tips on getting new colonies up and running in a reasonable time.
Build as much of the required infrastructure (mines/factories etc) as possible on an established world and ship them in.  Also use engineer Brigades to give your construction capability a boost.
Welchbloke

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Build as much of the required infrastructure (mines/factories etc) as possible on an established world and ship them in.  Also use engineer Brigades to give your construction capability a boost.

Thanks for this I wasn't aware engineer brigades helped what kind of bonus do they give? The main problem I'm having currently is getting stocks of all the minerals onto the new colony and without stocks it's not easy to build so it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

I will persevere and hopefully things will come together.

At times this game can be soul destroying last night my attack fleet of eight craft that took over four years to build where wiped out in less than an hour!!!!! Need to really learn more about defense.

Offline Mini

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 06:40:45 AM »
Afaik one engineer brigade is equivalent to one contruction factory.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 06:40:58 AM »
Defense:
The Art of plastering MOAR ARMOR on your ships.
Just keep going ;)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 05:04:14 PM »
The main problem I'm having currently is getting stocks of all the minerals onto the new colony

Build a cargo ship (or more) and ship them there from your home planet.  A cargo ship that can ship one factory (or mine) can carry enough minerals to build A LOT of them.

If the problem is that you don't have minerals on your home world, then you need to ship mines....

John

Online Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 06:10:48 AM »
Quote from: "Mini"
Afaik one engineer brigade is equivalent to one contruction factory.
That's correct.

Steve