Author Topic: Why is timer resetting and running at slow speeds?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
Why is timer resetting and running at slow speeds?
« on: November 18, 2015, 01:31:00 AM »
Anybody have an idea why the game timer despite being set at 30 day increments just runs at 5 second or 1 day increments?
I have no ships out nor errors nor anything wrong.  All research labs are employed and all industry appears fine.   sometimes
it goes back to normal but sometimes i must abandon a game after several hours of this when i set it on auto and wait and
nothing changes and the speed remains so slow the game becomes unplayable.

Offline Nathan_

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Commodore
  • N
Re: Why is timer resetting and running at slow speeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 02:23:03 AM »
Something an AI is doing is triggering the interrupts, and sometimes the ai is really dumb about what it is doing unfortunately. the 5 second increments are probably fire control events(attempted or successful), and the 1 day interrupts are fleet interception events where two fleets are within a certain distance of one another.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 02:41:31 AM »
I did some going back and forth on the menus.   It appears that when I transfered 4 Geosurvey ships with high speed (about 1800 each)
back to the Earth Orbital Station (speed 1) after they finished all possible surveys they passed their speed (of 1800) to the Earth Shipyard
Orbitals (which then showed a speed of 1800).  This may have tripped up the system.   When i reset the Earth Shipyard Orbitals (with the
four survey ships attached) back to a speed of 1 the game resumed normal time.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
After I adjusted the speed of the Earth Orbital Yards to 1 the timer went back to 'normal' but has been very creaky since
then.   Also on the TF transfer screen it appears on the left now when I click on my Earth Orbital Yards instead of the right
where it was originally.   Timer works normally but is very slow now even with refreshing the game.

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 07:23:25 AM »
getting worse now.   virtually unplayable.   time sequences from 5 seconds to a day randomly even
when you hit a specific speed (like 30 days).   appears to be some type of error that replicates itself
and continues to worsen game performance over time once you make the initial mistake.   Bummer
as I was just starting to survey jumppoints and had 4 new frigates to patrol with 4 more in the pipeline.
will start over with new game (but keep this one) and see if i have this problem again.  31 years into
game.

I must say tho that the game itself is a genuine inspiration of sci fi space strategy.   incredibly impressed!

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »
Go into SM mode and look at the log.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 04:07:35 PM »
Perfectly normal behaviour, look at the section on the wiki regarding interupts and NPR's.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »
Wiki is currently down though.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.