Author Topic: First Contact pointers  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Konisforce (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
First Contact pointers
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »
Me again!

So, is there a 'first contact' tutorial out there anywhere?  If not, a couple specific questions:

I have some contacts in another system.   How do I specifically figure out a) where the inhabited planets are and b) any details about them?  I assume I'll need some active sensors to figure things out and a decent range depending on the thermal levels, and where does that actually show up in-game?  Like, which menu shows me the colonies of other races.

Also, for communication, I've assigned a diplo team currently stationed on my homeworld and clicked the "initiate contact" button.   Now do I just wait to offend their queen and get invaded, or can I do anything else active?
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: First Contact pointers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:20:48 PM »
Me again!

So, is there a 'first contact' tutorial out there anywhere?  If not, a couple specific questions:

I have some contacts in another system.   How do I specifically figure out a) where the inhabited planets are and b) any details about them?  I assume I'll need some active sensors to figure things out and a decent range depending on the thermal levels, and where does that actually show up in-game?  Like, which menu shows me the colonies of other races.

Also, for communication, I've assigned a diplo team currently stationed on my homeworld and clicked the "initiate contact" button.   Now do I just wait to offend their queen and get invaded, or can I do anything else active?

Shoot first and loot their ships?

If they are not spoilers, they might eventually give you that info. Spoiler races (which shouldn't appear in the diplo screen imo) just get annoyed with you. Non-spoiler races get annoyed when you do things like scan them.

Offline Konisforce (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »
So they don't respond kindly to bein' spotlighted.   Noted.

Is there any utility to cruising by with passive sensors and checking out what they've got?  Like, will that illuminate specific PDCs and defensive bases?  Or will  I just be pissing them off by getting that close to their territory?

They are icky bug-things (and non-spoilers, I believe) so extermination is the logic course, naturally.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »
As far as I recall, passives are okay. It's the actives they object to. And depending on their relationship with you, getting too close to their holdings annoys them too.

Offline Redshirt

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • R
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »
Why exterminate? Welcome them into your empire* and utilize their resources!

* - Aka, "Greetings from the benevolent Terran Federation. We come in peace. We are now going to blow up all your combat ships, tow away your ship yards, drop large tanks and assault vehicles on your homeworld, and maybe sterilize a distant colony or two that we can't be bothered with until you give us your unconditional surrender."
Living up to my username. . .

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »
As far as I recall, passives are okay. It's the actives they object to. And depending on their relationship with you, getting too close to their holdings annoys them too.

My recollection was that it was the other way around (after Steve stopped intel gathering from active contacts) - if they see you in their system with their actives, then they start to get peeved.  I think the idea is that a passive contact won't tell them your race (so they don't know who to be annoyed with), while an active contact does.

John

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »
From Steve´s Diplomacy post:

During the 5-day increment, NPRs will deduct points for any alien ships they detect on active sensors in systems in which they have a population. The deduction is equal to 10% of contact size. So a 5000 ton ship (size 100) would cause an instant 10 point deduction. For the purposes of this rule, they will ignore freighters if a trade treaty is in effect and they will ignore ships from Empires they class as Friendly or Allied.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany