Author Topic: Sound  (Read 2555 times)

Offline DasColonel (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • D
Sound
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »
I have the sound options on yet there does not seem to be any? Any advice?

Thanks

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Sound
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 01:41:26 AM »
I have the sound options on yet there does not seem to be any? Any advice?

Thanks
That may be a relic from SA. If you assign a sound to a race (I think), it plays it occasionally.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:42:34 AM »
It would be great if I could assign sounds or music to various screens or events, perhaps whichever sound is playing slowly fades out when you switch windows then the sound associated with that window slowly comes into volume. I'm not sure how you would determine what plays when you run a turn, obviously you might want short effects or themes which illustrate what has occurred, battles might be rather interesting but difficult to get sounding right. Maybe just a short effect telling you a combat event has occurred, but a nice option would be to be able to replay all recent battle events in order at slow speed with accompanying sound effects. Better might be the screen actually recentering to the location of the event, displaying text showing what has happened then playing appropriate effects and theme music.....
Well I can dream anyway.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »
I am also missing sounds and music. 

If they're NOT part of the game I can set up my own playlist in Media-player and play it but sounds and situation appropriate music would add a lot to this already great game. 

So far my media-player playlist for background music includes
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (whole album)
David Bowie - Space Oddity (whole album)
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust (whole album)
Vangelis - Opera Sauvage (whole album)
Elton John - Rocket Man (single)

Any suggestions for additions?

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »
I am also missing sounds and music. 

If they're NOT part of the game I can set up my own playlist in Media-player and play it but sounds and situation appropriate music would add a lot to this already great game. 

So far my media-player playlist for background music includes
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (whole album)
David Bowie - Space Oddity (whole album)
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust (whole album)
Vangelis - Opera Sauvage (whole album)
Elton John - Rocket Man (single)

Any suggestions for additions?

There are no sounds of any kind nor music for the basic game itself. The latest all in one version does have a music folder that works with the wrapper, but to be honest if you already have a music collection on your system you are better off using your chosen media player and making a playlist, otherwise you just throw away HD space duplicating files for the wrapper to play. As for sound effects, i personally can't see either the point or a workable method to implement them since the way time works you could have a time interrupt where over 9000 sounds fire all at once.

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 11:22:02 PM »
... As for sound effects, i personally can't see either the point or a workable method to implement them since the way time works you could have a time interrupt where over 9000 sounds fire all at once.

Ah, that IS true. I hadn't thought of that.

I guess having a single sound play or a couple might work if the list were short but on some ticks there could be many many
Perhaps a sound (or none) for too many to report for anything over one or two?

I'm just used to games where there's a sound for a completion.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 11:25:52 PM »
Perhaps a simple sound effect played when the current turn or set of auto turns finishes processing could be paletable and even useful, so you know when to look up from reading a book or whatever else you're doing while waiting.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:58:19 AM »
... you could have a time interrupt where over 9000 sounds fire all at once.
Although, that does sound interesting. Not all at the same time mind you or that many, but in close conjunction with some overlap. I can just hear it "Thermal contact" "Main engineering reports damage" "Missiles loading, preparing to fire" "Shields charging" "We are venting atmosphere, casualties reported" "Laser batteries ready to fire" "Incoming missiles" et cetera.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Havan_IronOak

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 10:18:17 AM »
I guess I just want to use my sound clip of Picard saying "Shields up - Battle Stations!" for the first sound in an attack situation.  ;)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 10:01:31 PM »
I guess I just want to use my sound clip of Picard saying "Shields up - Battle Stations!" for the first sound in an attack situation.  ;)

SA (StarFire Assistant - the code from which Aurora was born) had the ability to bind a sound (.wav?) file to an officer.  When the officer was selected it would play the clip.  I think Picard was one of the selections shipped.

I think this somehow got lost in the transition to Aurora.

John

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 12:25:45 AM »
I really miss SA playing Gosudarstvenny Gimn everytime I swapped empires to the Soviet Republic of Antares
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.