Author Topic: Star Force Series B.V.Larson  (Read 3334 times)

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
Star Force Series B.V.Larson
« on: November 05, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
I just been reading Star Force series by B.V.Larson, it has been hard to put down I up to book number 4 and about 5 days, they are not huge books but they are decently priced at $6.00 for the kindle version.

It feels this guys has been playing a game of Aurora and then wrote a book. Having said that it a very different start off from Earth and Earth beginnings. The action is fast paced and the suspense is highlight by the fact I turn that page rather then go to bed.

Fully recommend, my only disappointment there is only 5 in the series. And I only got one book to go.

Can find on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Swarm-Star-Force-Series-ebook/dp/B004H8FVEQ

Offline Maltay

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: Star Force Series B.V.Larson
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
I concur about B. V. Larson.  Some similar self-published authors on Amazon.com include Evan Currie and Ryk Brown.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline niflheimr

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:54:23 AM »
Read it a while ago , though I did got a bit bored towards the end of the series. But then I didn't quite got attached to the characters .

Offline ardem (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • a
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 10:47:33 PM »
Just finished Book 4, actually it funny, I am actually getting annonyed by the main character now. To me is turning from a hero to a villain, or the at the very least he know best and everyone else is wrong, very self centered. In many respects I look forward to him dying or having a great fall from grace.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:52:54 AM »
Just finished book one and that is enough for me.  I'm afraid that I'm struck by a comment on the movie prometheus..."Who will take sci-fi seriously when you have to turn off your brain to accept it."  The whole thing makes no sense.  None.  The ending of the first book just left me flabergasted.  Why were the Macro's bothering with earth anyway?  Go mine a few bloody asteroids if all you want in raw materials to make more robots for the purpose of making more robots.  Fusion reactors don't explode.  Why did those ships need "command personal" anyway?  The AI on board could not come up with those brillant strategies without human assistance?  Not one nuclear equipped military on the planet bothered trying to launch a spread of nuclear armed AAMs at those ships?  Mobilie artillary doesn't actually exist?  Non magnetic rounds are that hard to make?   Gah.  One had enough stupidity in it to make me cringe.  Brillant plan to recruit "command personal" recruit randoms and kill most of them...why not just go to a military base and pick up some people there?  It is definitely a book best suited to just "check mind at door then read."  Hal9000 would turn over in his grave at these AIs.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 05:51:11 AM »
I made it through 3 books by Brian dePrima, the "unknown galaxy" series before I realized I was cheering for some of the bad guys.  That generaly is my tip off that the author has done a "Herringswine" (yes Weber I'm looking at you).  At least they were fairly long books but I have yet to figure out why people do this kind of thing.  I thought maybe the author was doing it a bit tongue in cheek and would, you know, back off...but after 3 books nope...not happening.  One of the reasons I am a big fan of that "Beyond the Frontier" series is that you never get the feeling the enemy is an idiot.  They may loose but they do so for reasons that make sense.

I've yet to figure out why the plots of a lot of SF movies and books are so bad.  The movies I blame on the screen writes guild stopping actual SF writers from writing scripts (this is what made the original Star Trek so good and the next abomination well so abominable...lets not discuss Enterprise *shudders*).  Otherwise I figure it is just "dumbing down" things for the masses.  The other thing is that most SF today is more Science Fantasy then Science Fiction so they don't really think they need worry about inconvient things like laws of the universe.  I don't know its baffeling to me. 

Anyway I have a fantasy book by B.V. Larson and I will check it out soon maybe that is better...