Author Topic: C# Suggestions  (Read 268578 times)

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
Re: C# Suggestions
« Reply #690 on: June 02, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
A way to 'link' planets with their moons, meaning they essentially become on planet.

I think at sufficient tech levels, going to the Moon should be like going the next State over, or taking the Chunnel to France.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:28:04 PM by BasileusMaximos »

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #691 on: June 02, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
I request that in the 'ground forces->order of battle' window, bind the delete key to 'delete formation'.

Additionally, it would be cool if that window supported multi-select. (my general understanding is that has the potential to be a lot trickier to get working right however, having faffed with QT and such in my day)

The following users thanked this post: REDACTED

Offline Borealis4x

• Commodore
« Reply #692 on: June 03, 2020, 02:33:02 AM »
Only Auxiliary Control should require a level 2 officer. This way, you can still make smaller ships like corvettes and frigates that you'll likely have many of be commanded by officers rank 2 and lower, which sounds about right. I don't think frigates these days (at least true frigates, not oversized psudo-destroyers) are commanded by full Captains.

I also think tonnage and/or crew size should play a bigger role in deciding what level of commander you need in Commerical ships. A 500,000 ton super-freighter with over 2,000 crew should require a full-blown Captain.

Offline Siccles

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #693 on: June 03, 2020, 07:07:00 AM »
Orbital habitat population capacity of a body could be changed to an int64 (or some other higher-capacity datatype) instead of the current int32, limiting current capacities to just over 2b and throwing errors above it.

While 2b capacity might not be something that most players would ever be close to reaching on a single body in their games, I've been thinking about doing an orbital-habitat-only game, which this limitation makes infeasible.

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #694 on: June 03, 2020, 12:29:24 PM »
Orbital habitat population capacity of a body could be changed to an int64 (or some other higher-capacity datatype) instead of the current int32, limiting current capacities to just over 2b and throwing errors above it.

While 2b capacity might not be something that most players would ever be close to reaching on a single body in their games, I've been thinking about doing an orbital-habitat-only game, which this limitation makes infeasible.
If you are getting errors, post it in the bugs thread, it's more likely to get attention there.

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline Siccles

• Leading Rate
  • S
« Reply #695 on: June 03, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
Quote from: Migi link=topic=10640.   msg135977#msg135977 date=1591205364
Quote from: Siccles link=topic=10640.   msg135952#msg135952 date=1591186020

If you are getting errors, post it in the bugs thread, it's more likely to get attention there.   

It isn't per se a bug though.    There are dozens of ways to generate overflow-errors in the game (ship design for example) that are intended behavior.    And I strongly assume this is intended behavior as well since someone wanting to put more than 2b orbital capacity on some body was simply not considered.   

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #696 on: June 03, 2020, 11:00:05 PM »
I could wind up reaching that pretty easily, its a little concerning that the limit is so low.  (i have in relatively early-game situations wound up with around 200m of orbital habitats over venus for instance)

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #697 on: June 04, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »
It isn't per se a bug though.   

I just want to say thank you for using (and spelling) per se correctly. I see it so rarely.

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #698 on: June 04, 2020, 06:38:52 PM »
We currently have little way to fine-tune MSP production.
1) Add a colony MSP stockpile limit.  While the amount of MSP on a planet exceeds this have maintenance facilities stop producing.
2) Add a colony MSP reserve.  MSP below this level can only be used by maintenance facilities.  This will prevent starvation during surge loads, such as when building a large supply station.
3) Make MSP build-able using industry.  This will also help when dealing with large temporary demands.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, mike2R, smoelf, skoormit

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #699 on: June 05, 2020, 11:53:56 AM »
1) Add a colony MSP stockpile limit.  While the amount of MSP on a planet exceeds this have maintenance facilities stop producing.
2) Add a colony MSP reserve.  MSP below this level can only be used by maintenance facilities.  This will prevent starvation during surge loads, such as when building a large supply station.
3) Make MSP build-able using industry.  This will also help when dealing with large temporary demands.

I love 1 and 2, but not 3.
I like that I can't compensate for my insufficient planning by just throwing some factories at the problem for a week or two.

Maybe it's possible to make it configurable per game (at game creation)?

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #700 on: June 05, 2020, 04:34:11 PM »

I like that I can't compensate for my insufficient planning by just throwing some factories at the problem for a week or two.

You could just RP such a limitation, but I won't object to making it an option.  Insufficient planning isn't the only reason to want #3.  MSP demand can be quite variable if you use beam fleets and you can't always predict the timing or tempo of a campaign.  Front-loading production before a major battle can make all the difference.  The problem with overbuilding maintenance facilities isn't just the construction cost of the facilities, but the excess capacity has continuous worker and mineral costs as well.

This brings up another issue:  In VB we could turn off entire industries on a colony which would free up the workers for other jobs.  This feature is missing in C#.

The following users thanked this post: JuergenSchT

Offline skoormit

• Commodore
« Reply #701 on: June 05, 2020, 04:42:24 PM »

You could just RP such a limitation, but I won't object to making it an option.  Insufficient planning isn't the only reason to want #3.  MSP demand can be quite variable if you use beam fleets and you can't always predict the timing or tempo of a campaign.  Front-loading production before a major battle can make all the difference.  The problem with overbuilding maintenance facilities isn't just the construction cost of the facilities, but the excess capacity has continuous worker and mineral costs as well.

This brings up another issue:  In VB we could turn off entire industries on a colony which would free up the workers for other jobs.  This feature is missing in C#.

I don't like the option to just self-impose, because I want the AI to have to play by the same rules.

Fair points about labor issues, and burst demand from beam fleets.

To free up workers, I have resorted to hauling unneeded installations to an unused moon. It's a slow and expensive Off switch, but I find I don't need to use it very often.

The following users thanked this post: SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #702 on: June 05, 2020, 05:12:00 PM »
I don't like the option to just self-impose, because I want the AI to have to play by the same rules.

To free up workers, I have resorted to hauling unneeded installations to an unused moon. It's a slow and expensive Off switch, but I find I don't need to use it very often.
Fair point about the AI.

The scenario that comes to mind is a maxed-out industrial world building mines for export.  Until they are shipped out those mines will cause a worker shortage while not doing anything actually useful.  Turning off mining on that colony would neatly solve the problem.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #703 on: June 05, 2020, 05:49:53 PM »

You can use SM mode to delete unused installations through the civilian economy (the one where you make contracts) menu. This has the obvious problem of making such installations unrecoverable.

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #704 on: June 05, 2020, 05:57:53 PM »
You can use SM mode to delete unused installations through the civilian economy (the one where you make contracts) menu. This has the obvious problem of making such installations unrecoverable.
Installations can be replaced the same way, but deleting them tends to be problematic when you are trying to ship them somewhere else.  And if you ever do want them back it means needing to manually keep track of which 'ghost' installations go where.