Author Topic: v1.12.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 68505 times)

Offline Needler

• Leading Rate
  • N
Re: v1.12.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #510 on: April 01, 2021, 05:49:12 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11945. msg150083#msg150083 date=1617289071
What was the cause of the bugdeath? Did this save come with the cardinal sin of DB editing at any point? If yes, what did you edit?

There were no "cardinal sins" until bugdeath, when I tried to rescue the game.  It was an infinite 5sec, left it running for almost 5 hours.  Opened up the DB and playered all the races, never did find the cause.  Wiped and reinstalled game.

Offline cah7777

• Leading Rate
  • c
« Reply #511 on: April 01, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »
I developed some new engines and laid down about a dozen ships in various shipyards on Earth.   Now when I load the game and click on the industry tab, I get the Function #2185 error.   The industry tab pulls up, but all shipyard operations have disappeared.   The mining tab shows no minerals in the shipyard tasks column.   The individual shipyards that were building ships have 0 available slipways - like they are still being utilized.   Anyone have any idea how to reset the shipyards?  This campaign was just starting to get interesting.

The function number: #2185
The complete error text: 1. 12. 0 Function #2185 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
The window affected: Industry/Shipyard/Shipyard Tasks Tab
What you were doing at the time: - nothing exciting IG
Conventional or TN start: - TN
Random or Real Stars: - real
Is your decimal separator a comma? - no, a period
Is the bug is easy to reproduce, intermittent or a one-off? - one-off so far
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: - about 75 years

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #512 on: April 01, 2021, 06:36:32 PM »
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11945. msg150083#msg150083 date=1617289071
What was the cause of the bugdeath? Did this save come with the cardinal sin of DB editing at any point? If yes, what did you edit?

There were no "cardinal sins" until bugdeath, when I tried to rescue the game.  It was an infinite 5sec, left it running for almost 5 hours.  Opened up the DB and playered all the races, never did find the cause.  Wiped and reinstalled game.

The 5-second loops are not a bugdeath, they are always due to the AI behavior getting stuck in a loop and usually can be fixed. However setting NPRs to player races is not a good way to fix this and is liable to introduce any number of unpredictable bugs. The "correct" solution is to use the DB to review the game logs to identify the cause - for example you may find an NPR fleet jumping in and out of a jump point on a loop, and in this case you can fix it by simply changing the location of that fleet away from the JP. This does require a small DB edit but is much safer than making the NPRs player races.

Offline Needler

• Leading Rate
  • N
« Reply #513 on: April 01, 2021, 07:34:49 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=11945. msg150092#msg150092 date=1617320192
Quote from: Needler link=topic=11945. msg150090#msg150090 date=1617317352
Quote from: Droll link=topic=11945.  msg150083#msg150083 date=1617289071

There were no "cardinal sins" until bugdeath, when I tried to rescue the game.   It was an infinite 5sec, left it running for almost 5 hours.   Opened up the DB and playered all the races, never did find the cause.   Wiped and reinstalled game.

The 5-second loops are not a bugdeath, they are always due to the AI behavior getting stuck in a loop and usually can be fixed.  However setting NPRs to player races is not a good way to fix this and is liable to introduce any number of unpredictable bugs.  The "correct" solution is to use the DB to review the game logs to identify the cause - for example you may find an NPR fleet jumping in and out of a jump point on a loop, and in this case you can fix it by simply changing the location of that fleet away from the JP.  This does require a small DB edit but is much safer than making the NPRs player races.

1.  I know all this, I did your "correct solution" for the bugdeath first, found NO obvious reasons, Playered all races and individually searched for the cause.  For 5 hours.  Have done this successfully before in other games.  Not this time.

2.  The bugdeath IS NOT what is being reported, the missiles disappearing is.

Offline Needler

• Leading Rate
  • N
Missile Bug
« Reply #514 on: April 02, 2021, 05:16:24 AM »
Who do I send the rapidshare link to?

Offline xenoscepter

• Vice Admiral
Re: Missile Bug
« Reply #515 on: April 02, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »
Who do I send the rapidshare link to?

- If it's it to your DB, you can just upload it here in an attachment. If that's not working though, the Rapidshare Link goes here as well... if it's for the DB of course. :)

Offline Needler

• Leading Rate
  • N
« Reply #516 on: April 02, 2021, 04:23:11 PM »
Ok, Here's the databases and the txt explanation.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #517 on: April 05, 2021, 02:48:47 AM »
I developed some new engines and laid down about a dozen ships in various shipyards on Earth.   Now when I load the game and click on the industry tab, I get the Function #2185 error.   The industry tab pulls up, but all shipyard operations have disappeared.   The mining tab shows no minerals in the shipyard tasks column.   The individual shipyards that were building ships have 0 available slipways - like they are still being utilized.   Anyone have any idea how to reset the shipyards?  This campaign was just starting to get interesting.

The complete error text: 1. 12. 0 Function #2185 Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
If this is a long campaign - say 75 years or longer - let me know the length of the campaign as well: - about 75 years

Got the same bug today, I put two new ships into production and closed the game. Today when I started, I got this error.

Some more info: I got single shipyard on different planet and that one was not affected. I tried deleting shipyards and ships that were in refit, but it had no effect.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 03:11:20 AM by Black »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #518 on: April 05, 2021, 10:42:56 AM »

Got the same bug today, I put two new ships into production and closed the game. Today when I started, I got this error.

Some more info: I got single shipyard on different planet and that one was not affected. I tried deleting shipyards and ships that were in refit, but it had no effect.

Is the fleet that the ships are supposed to go into deleted or not located at the planet?

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »

Is the fleet that the ships are supposed to go into deleted or not located at the planet?

Ships in refit were in orbit of Earth and for quite some time as they were getting new engines. But I just started construction of two new ships, those would go to default Shipyard Fleet that is also in orbit of Earth. I think that the bug was caused by the new constructions, but I have no idea why. I checked the events log and there were no new events connected to shipyards for quite some time.

I attached the database, if anyone wants to check.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:12:37 PM by Black »

Offline cah7777

• Leading Rate
  • c
« Reply #520 on: April 05, 2021, 11:52:39 PM »
Quote from: nuclearslurpee link=topic=11945. msg150164#msg150164 date=1617637376
Quote from: Black link=topic=11945. msg150154#msg150154 date=1617608927
Quote from: cah7777 link=topic=11945. msg150091#msg150091 date=1617319777
I developed some new engines and laid down about a dozen ships in various shipyards on Earth.    Now when I load the game and click on the industry tab, I get the Function #2185 error.    The industry tab pulls up, but all shipyard operations have disappeared.    The mining tab shows no minerals in the shipyard tasks column.    The individual shipyards that were building ships have 0 available slipways - like they are still being utilized.    Anyone have any idea how to reset the shipyards?  This campaign was just starting to get interesting. 

The complete error text: 1.  12.  0 Function #2185 Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 

Got the same bug today, I put two new ships into production and closed the game.  Today when I started, I got this error.

Some more info: I got single shipyard on different planet and that one was not affected.  I tried deleting shipyards and ships that were in refit, but it had no effect.

Mine were also being built into the default Shipyard Fleet which was present at the planet and had a few ships in it.

Offline MuthaF

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #521 on: April 09, 2021, 05:44:46 AM »
Didn't find this reported yet:
After loading/starting a game, colony summary screen at first load will always show population growth = 0%
Reloading said screen will fix the shown value.
Seems that population growth calculation shown is not executed properly at first load, or more likely, one of the variables needed for said calculation is not initialized before result getting displayed.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #522 on: April 16, 2021, 10:12:21 PM »
When a ship surrenders, the targeting lock on that ship is not broken and it is possible for your own ships to fire on the surrendering vessel in the same increment. When a ship surrenders, any ships which were targeting it should immediately release their target locks and not fire.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #523 on: April 17, 2021, 09:06:17 AM »
When a ship surrenders, the targeting lock on that ship is not broken and it is possible for your own ships to fire on the surrendering vessel in the same increment. When a ship surrenders, any ships which were targeting it should immediately release their target locks and not fire.
I disagree. If it's the same increment, then they should fire because there is no way they could have known that the ship was going to surrender then and there.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #524 on: April 17, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »
I disagree. If it's the same increment, then they should fire because there is no way they could have known that the ship was going to surrender then and there.

This is certainly reasonable, although I would argue not as fun as a player - in my mind, it's entirely possible for a ship to signal surrender and the captain to order the guns to hold fire in less than 5 seconds.

However, the targeting still persists beyond that increment, so I believe the bug is a correct assessment. This took me by surprise when one ship surrendered, didn't get blown up on that increment, but did blow up 5 seconds later.  :o