Author Topic: Jump drive query  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Treebiter (OP)

• Petty Officer
Jump drive query
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
Right, firstly I appreciate I'm most likely being a moron and the answer to this is blindingly obvious. Humor me.

Commercial Jump Drives... Can I use them or are they for commercial (computer controlled) fleets only?

I have a jump ship with a 2250 to cap. military jump engine which transports 1400ton survey ships with no problems.

I have now created a jump ship with a 20k ton cap. commercial drive but it refuses to transport my 19k ton ships, all of which have commercial engines.

Sorry if I'm being a plank but if I'm reliant on military drives it's 45k rp points to research a drive that will allow my smallest freighter (19k tons) to leave the system!

[Edit - Think I've answered my own question. Does cargo add to ship tonnage? An unladen ship works fine. A fully laden one would take it over 20k cap which would explain it.]

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
Re: Jump drive query
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
Quote from: "Treebiter"
Right, firstly I appreciate I'm most likely being a moron and the answer to this is blindingly obvious. Humor me.

Commercial Jump Drives... Can I use them or are they for commercial (computer controlled) fleets only?

I have a jump ship with a 2250 to cap. military jump engine which transports 1400ton survey ships with no problems.

I have now created a jump ship with a 20k ton cap. commercial drive but it refuses to transport my 19k ton ships, all of which have commercial engines.

Sorry if I'm being a plank but if I'm reliant on military drives it's 45k rp points to research a drive that will allow my smallest freighter (19k tons) to leave the system!

[Edit - Think I've answered my own question. Does cargo add to ship tonnage? An unladen ship works fine. A fully laden one would take it over 20k cap which would explain it.]

1.)  Cargo does not add to the ships tonnage.  You might want to check that the jump engine ship is the same size or larger than the freighter you want to go through.  The limiting factor is the smaller of the ship mounting the jump engine, or the jump engine size.  You want the two to be identical if at all possible, otherwise things have a way of going wrong.

2.)  At that rp cost it will actually be cheaper to upgrade your base tech first.  The cost for a specific capacity jump engine will go down with the higher tech multiplier.

Brian

Offline Treebiter (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:31:49 AM »
Hmmm. I can't see why it didn't work then. My JS is 18.8k tons and can transport 20k tons. The ship I'm trying to 'jump' is 19.5k tons. Could the problem be that the JS is smaller than the ship it's trying to transport? It works fine with a 15k ton ship.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:40:08 AM »
Hmmm. I can't see why it didn't work then. My JS is 18.8k tons and can transport 20k tons. The ship I'm trying to 'jump' is 19.5k tons. Could the problem be that the JS is smaller than the ship it's trying to transport? It works fine with a 15k ton ship.
Exactly the problem.  Your JS is the limiter in this case so nothing bigger than 18.8k tons will be able to transit.  I usually will pad a ship out with fuel/engineering spaces so they act as backup stores ships.  The other option is to put some armour on that JS so it can move faster in a nebula, and so that a couple of hits are not enough to blow it away.  A commercial ship with three or four points of armour will actually take quite a while to blow up because it is so massive that you don't tend to get any overlapp on the damage patterns.  Particularily if it is a missile attack it would take a 16 point warhead to do 1 point of internall damage with 3 levels of armour.  You can see how it works.  If you are tempted to take these ships anywhere that combat might occur you might also want to put a CIWS system on the ship.  It is also classed as a commercial system so your jump ship can end up with a little bit of point defense, and becomes a fairly hard missile target.

Brian

Offline Treebiter (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52:21 AM »
Ahhh. Great advice thanks. I'll alter my JS designs. However, as you advised I'll also pump some more research into jump tech. I've found an alien wreck and my salvage vessel is nearly 50k tons!

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:59 AM »
A little trick that I picked up a long time ago.  Make another game where you will not be actually playing.  Instead bump up your tech to something considerably above your current reasearch (use the all reasearch button)  Then you can go in and design systems using the different tech levels and see how much it will cost to reasearch the system.  That way you can take a look at which will be faster, to go with current tech, or wait while you reasearch a better tech.  For systems with several components, and a size modifier you will often find that new reasearch to start with is much more cost effective than prototyping a huge system.  Your jump engines are a good case in point.  Another example is for active/passive sensors, particularily actives.  If you need a particular range of detection then upping your base tech in the beginning is good.  Later in the game it can switch sometimes because of the escallating costs of reasearch.  

Hope this helps in the future.

Brian

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »

Yet another reason to read the FAQ - this question is dealt with in the Jump Ships/Engines/Gates one.... :-)

John